Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] “Speedy boarders; also known as tossers”

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Speedy boarding is an advantage on some airlines. I personally don't mind waiting or having to check my luggage. Arrive in good time and there is no point rushing around in airports, desperate to get your seat, your luggage etc. I just slow down, take it easy, it takes as long as it takes. Much less stressful than constantly fretting whether you're gonna be first in line.

Besides with my Irish passport I'll be whizzing through airports while the unwashed masses stand in a 2 hour queue miffed that their new blue passport hasn't got them ahead of all the brown folks. Happy days. :lolol::p

You just cannot resist.............can you?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Always have speedy boarding. Ridiculously long legs mean I need an exit seat so it comes by default (after paying a fair bit extra for the exit seats by the way). And because I have an exit seat any bags need to go in the overhead locker so I get on nice and early so I can pop it in right by my seat and relax watching everyone else trying to find a spot for their cases. I may also be a tosser but the two aren't necessarily linked!

Happy tosser here too. I suffer from GAD and couldn't fly if it wasn't for speedy boarding and extra leg room that avoids me panicking due to feeling trapped.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The sarcastic arrogance of the original poster is awful. You want to line up fine, if not fine. The tossers are those that successfully delay the flight by stupidity or alcohol!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can’t see the problem, everyone has the same opportunity to select seats or board quickly.

If you choose not to do it fair enough, but certainly wouldn’t feel indifferent to those who do....

Life’s too short - get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The sarcastic arrogance of the original poster is awful. You want to line up fine, if not fine. The tossers are those that successfully delay the flight by stupidity or alcohol!

The OP was describing what he overheard and then asking what other people thought about what he overheard.
Honestly, if you must abuse and insult people it’s important you read posts accurately because as well as sounding uber aggressive it makes you look a bit silly.

I intend no offence , I’m not picking a fight I’m merely pointing out your mistake.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The OP was describing what he overheard and then asking what other people thought about what he overheard.
Honestly, if you must abuse and insult people it’s important you read posts accurately because as well as sounding uber aggressive it makes you look a bit silly.

I intend no offence , I’m not picking a fight I’m merely pointing out your mistake.

Why, thank you kind sir!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Gotta love Easyjet though. I just booked flights to the Arctic for less than £50 return. Madness! :xmas:

I clinched a pair of one-way tickets from Bristol to Gib for £40. EasyJet as well, departing in March. I've read that fares in general have never been cheaper in light of the Brexit negotiations/debacle (depending on point of view).

I still won't pay the extra charges though - I grabbed a bargain and I want to keep it that way!

Jul 7, 2003
Give me Gatwick over Heathrow any day of the week. And slow miserable queues are by no means confined to budget airlines.

Not these days. I fly regularly for business and can't stand how Gatwick is just a big shopping mall with nowhere to sit down. I usually use either T2 or T5 at Heathrow and they are both much more relaxing before a flight than Gatwick. You also get less idiots flying through Heathrow as they don't have the low cost drunks.

A comment made as a result of jealousy, probably.

Most 'speedy boarders' are regular and seasoned travellers. Regular and seasoned travellers on the whole no longer enjoy travel. As a result, they usually look miserable and negative.

Miserable and negative looking people never attract positive comments!

That's my take on it.

Agree with this. Speedy boarding benefits generally have nothing to do with getting to your seat early but is everything to do with hand luggage. You are guaranteed your full carry on goes on board and, as others have noted, this can make a huge difference in time at the other end. I have been home in Worthing from Gatwick using SB and hand luggage before a colleague has got to their taxi home.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Lighten up. It's a joke. It's true but it is funny :D

My wife regularly winds me up as she’s got an Irish passport. They’re cheaper too. I’m desperately drinking more Jamiesons whilst pouring over ancestory.com but I’m 100% Anglo, not even the slightest whiff of a Wolfhound on the family tree. Think I’m going to have to ‘do a Cascarino’ :lolol:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I plan my trips. Speedy boarding really isn't necessary. Especially when extra money involved

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My wife regularly winds me up as she’s got an Irish passport. They’re cheaper too. I’m desperately drinking more Jamiesons whilst pouring over ancestory.com but I’m 100% Anglo, not even the slightest whiff of a Wolfhound on the family tree. Think I’m going to have to ‘do a Cascarino’ :lolol:
£45
I’m lead to believe that if you are married to an Irish national you can get one too.
I didn’t think I’d be able to get one , my family being from NI. But no, anyone whose parents or grandparent were Irish citizens at the time of your birth can have an Irish passport. Lovely stuff.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
£45
I’m lead to believe that if you are married to an Irish national you can get one too.
I didn’t think I’d be able to get one , my family being from NI. But no, anyone whose parents or grandparent were Irish citizens at the time of your birth can have an Irish passport. Lovely stuff.

Should get my Czech permanent resident document this week or next, happy days

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'll ask my Daughter when she gets home from her long two sector tomorrow... She's crew for easyJet.

From her 'tales' the people who cause the most problems are the drunk stag-do lots (who all think they can pull a stewardess) but are generally good humoured with it, and the nervous flyers who panic (and are treated respectfully).

She does find that certain Nationalities can be total dicks no matter what, though... I won't post on here which.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Plane leaves at the same time for everyone and always put my suitcase in the hold.

I love it (yes really) when a plane is delayed and those previously smug easyJet priority boarding passengers get up wondering why they bothered in the first place.

The reality finally sinks when they realise they paid extra for a fast lane in LIDL.

They regret that they turned their hotel holiday into a camping experience having to wash their underwear in the bathroom sink every other day to acomodate the limited size of their briefcase on wheels.

And lastly I just love it when I meet them on the same platform at Gatwick waiting for the same delayed Southern train back to London.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Its not about being at the front of the queue though, priority boarding is about not having to bother to queue period. And not having a debate because you have a man-bag and an overnight bag has obvious benefits.

sorry but that bit at least is bollox. The number of speedy boarders mean they queue with each other to be first through the gate desk, then they queue to get through the gate, they then have to queue (albeit at the front) to get onto the plane. I just move vaguely quickly when its obvious we are about to board and am generally not far behind you and i don't pay for it. Don't have a man bag either. (bit european of you).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've used squeezyjet a few times and pay the tenner to book an exit seat for the leg room.

Haven't done a lon haul for over ten years now. Last time was Aus with virgin, upper peasant, which was very good and a fraction of the cost of business.

As with any form of public transport it's a spiralling chore to have to use due to over crowding, Gatwick is a horrible place. Last year I was in Modena for work and flew into Bologna, which was more like Shoreham airport than Gatwick!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll ask my Daughter when she gets home from her long two sector tomorrow... She's crew for easyJet.

From her 'tales' the people who cause the most problems are the drunk stag-do lots (who all think they can pull a stewardess) but are generally good humoured with it, and the nervous flyers who panic (and are treated respectfully).

She does find that certain Nationalities can be total dicks no matter what, though... I won't post on here which.

Some of the abuse airport staff and aircrew get is astonishing. It’s usually accusations (well, lies) of being rude or on a power trip. I have intervened a couple of times to politely state I am witnessing the issue and the aircrew have been fine.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here