Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Poor Serena

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That small figure in a baseball cap with blonde highlighted hair sticking out of the back of it is Sharapova-like? OK, whatever. It just looks like a small figure in a baseball cap with blonde highlighted hair sticking out (i.e. Williams opponent) to me.

okay mate

You'll see what you want to see.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Never mind, the Ryder Cup its on its way soon. Thankfully not in the US this time, but presumably there'll still be a contingent of red-faced overweight Yanks bellowing "Get in da hole" into the Europeans' faces.
"Mashed potato!". Wankers.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Oh lord.

The umpire is 'white', yes, but nothing like the colouring the artist has chosen with which to represent him.

The opponent figure is very, very clearly NOT a sketch of Naomi Osaka. Osaka is a stocky black girl, not a tall blonde white girl, with long blonde hair.

We may as well stop here, because it is impossible to have a rational exchange with somebody who will LITERALLY argue that black is white.

You really have no idea how caricatures work. Like truly clueless.

Out of interest did you take issue when this show was on TV?

cd7d642d5a64060c6e7539693119bf6e.jpg

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That small figure in a baseball cap with blonde highlighted hair sticking out of the back of it is Sharapova-like? OK, whatever. It just looks like a small figure in a baseball cap with blonde highlighted hair sticking out (i.e. Williams opponent) to me.

She looks a hell of a lot more like Sharapova than Osaka! But that doesn't matter, so long as we capture Williams with massive lips and a huge afro - Caricatures of black people, not of Serena Williams. Who'd have thunk that News Corp would be behind that....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
She looks a hell of a lot more like Sharapova than Osaka! But that doesn't matter, so long as we capture Williams with massive lips and a huge afro - Caricatures of black people, not of Serena Williams. Who'd have thunk that News Corp would be behind that....

The depiction of Serena is a sideshow. By whitening Osaka and the umpire the artist is really providing a critique on the inability of Caucasians to challenge the behaviour of black sporting icons.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
TV coverage shows a disrespectful American crowd, some draped in Stars & Stripes, ruining the winner's moment. The crowd were anti the oveseas winner and anti the umpire. The commentators have said that she hasn't even smiled. There's harmless patriotism and there's brute, rude nationalism.

Isn't she half American?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Caricature drawings of Afro Caribbean people should me made illegal because, by the very nature of caricatures their outstanding facial and other features will be blown up

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The depiction of Serena is a sideshow. By whitening Osaka and the umpire the artist is really providing a critique on the inability of Caucasians to challenge the behaviour of black sporting icons.

Isn't the cartoon making a general point about Serena's appalling lack of sportswomanship and tendency to throw her toys out of the pram when things don't go her way? The match against Osaka wasn't exactly the first time this sort of thing has happened. So the cartoonist has drawn a generic female tennis player rather than Naomi Osaka.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Caricatures must be banned immediately. How DARE they exaggerate peoples natural features to create a cartoon resemblance.

Next time I'm down Las Ramblas, I'm going to give the first caricature street artist I see a damn good shoeing. Its just not acceptable in 2018 is it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Caricature drawings of Afro Caribbean people should me made illegal because, by the very nature of caricatures their outstanding facial and other features will be blown up

That's rather patronising, isn't it? Equal rights and equality surely means that people of all races can be lampooned and caricatured equally. Obama was caricatured, Mugabe has been caricatured, everyone is fair game. Political cartoonists can't depict Diane Abbott?.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Isn't the cartoon making a general point about Serena's appalling lack of sportswomanship and tendency to throw her toys out of the pram when things don't go her way? The match against Osaka wasn't exactly the first time this sort of thing has happened. So the cartoonist has drawn a generic female tennis player rather than Naomi Osaka.

Maybe it is meant to be a 'generic opponent' (though our Australian friend has assured us it definitely IS Osaka, due to her 'highlights'). I don't believe that is the case though, tbh - if that were so, why go to the trouble of making the event the US Open?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Serena Williams Caricatures are no different from when satire started in antiquity. Stupid perpetually offended eejiots!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really? I'm not sure Sharapova would be too pleased to think that. But, serious question - just how should the artist have caricatured Williams? Difficult to avoid the fact that she is a black woman, wouldn't you agree?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here