Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Battle of Hastings - 14th October 1066 - 950th Anniversary

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pffft. The Battle of Hastings wasn't even IN Hastings, was it?

It was in...er...Battle, I think.

And the Normans landed at Pevensey. Good job they didn't land at Bexhill or they'd never have got all their troops past the cavalcade of Honda Jazzes and mobility scooters.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Pffft. The Battle of Hastings wasn't even IN Hastings, was it?

It was in...er...Battle, I think.

And the Normans landed at Pevensey. Good job they didn't land at Bexhill or they'd never have got all their troops past the cavalcade of Honda Jazzes and mobility scooters.

Planning to retire in Bexhill eh [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] :whistle::lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
950 years ehh!
Is that the last time the french won a battle?

Technically speaking, they were Normans, not French. There was a difference back then.

<Gallic shrug>

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cooden is nice :thumbsup:

That's the posh end of Bexhill, isn't it? Near Little Common. I'm still learning my way around East Sussex after being moved that way for work in January :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That's the posh end of Bexhill, isn't it? Near Little Common. I'm still learning my way around East Sussex after being moved that way for work in January :)

Yes it is, Sidley is basically auditioning area for Jeremy Kyle, Pebsham is just one big estate, Collington is an extension of Cooden.
Bexhill is sort of up and coming, the De La Warr is taking on a lot more serious gigs, plus a few celebs live in the area.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Much as 1066 was VERY important in terms of English history, does feel a bit like pixxed on fireworks when you think of what will be going on in 2066, a real anniversary.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The current theory, supported by large numbers of historians, is that it took place in Crowhurst. It's not far away but it does mean that the re-enactment is in the wrong place

i watched somthing with Tony Robinson that made the case for the battle field to be near Battle, just the other side of the Hastings road, down Marley Lane as we know it today. this was on the basis that it was the on the land above in the marshes that they;d have to negotiate to head inland. the Crowhusrt claim seems to be suggesting they had a battle there, on premise that Hastings used to be there and they landed and had the fight immediatly off the landing beach. great link to the LIDAR though.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Got a tweet today from a medievalist with the #saxonlivesmatter hashtag.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes it is, Sidley is basically auditioning area for Jeremy Kyle, Pebsham is just one big estate, Collington is an extension of Cooden.
Bexhill is sort of up and coming, the De La Warr is taking on a lot more serious gigs, plus a few celebs live in the area.

That's as fair an assessment of Bexhill-On-Sea anyone could make.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
i watched somthing with Tony Robinson that made the case for the battle field to be near Battle, just the other side of the Hastings road, down Marley Lane as we know it today. this was on the basis that it was the on the land above in the marshes that they;d have to negotiate to head inland. the Crowhusrt claim seems to be suggesting they had a battle there, on premise that Hastings used to be there and they landed and had the fight immediatly off the landing beach. great link to the LIDAR though.

I saw that as well. He went as far as saying the roundabout at the top of Marley Lane/Battle High Street could have been the place where Harold fell. Having gone to school in Battle and gone past it every day for 5 years, it needed someone to write a song about it:

I wheel my bike off the train,up the North Trade Road.and look for you on Marley Lane

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here