Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Anyone else found that Seagulls Player videos won't play in Microsoft Edge? I get an error dialog something like "Stream not found". Going into Seagulls Player in Google Chrome (on W10) still works fine.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
I have a Surface Pro 3. tried to find the Windows 10 App not in store. Cannot seem to reserve it and do not have the Window icon to apply to be notified?

I'm on a MS Surface Pro 3. I received the download notification a few weeks back, in the bottom right corner of the device. Downloaded yesterday and so far very impressed. Much cleaner than W8.1 (shudder).

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Anyone else found that Seagulls Player videos won't play in Microsoft Edge? I get an error dialog something like "Stream not found". Going into Seagulls Player in Google Chrome (on W10) still works fine.

Yes, same error here. I went to the option cog and opened in IE, which worked.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
For those upgrading and worried about their privacy:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...vacy-settings/

Windows 10‘s privacy settings very much need to be frowned at. Essentially: unless you pay close attention to the fluffy options offered when you first install Microsoft’s new operating system, it’s going to quietly track your behaviour and use it to fire targeted ads at you, as well as keeping tabs on your location history, data from messages, calendars, contacts and God knows what else. It is a bit scary, despite coming off the back of Microsoft’s own pledge to offer ‘real transparency’.
Importantly, you can opt out of what seems to be all this stuff (time will tell) either during installation or afterwards, though Microsoft swaddle it in a combination of dissembling “hey, this stuff’ll really help you get the information you want’ fluff and 45 pages of service agreement documents. I’ll refer you here and here for a detailed breakdown of the really worrying stuff, but the long and short of it is the operating system assigns you a unique advertising ID, which is is tied to the email address you’ve associated with Windows and fed data from a great many facets of your computer usage. Including the contents of messages and calendars, apps and networks, some purchases and whatever you upload to Microsoft’s unreliable OneDrive cloud storage. Using the Cortana search assistant makes the harvest even more aggressive, and of course the OS claims it’s all in the name of a better, more accurate online experience for you.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yuk! Mind you, I sort of assumed they did that already if you sign into Windows 8 with an MS ID, so I just use a local password. I guess Google do all of that with my Android tablet, though.

Yes IOS and Android are rampant with that kind of stuff, Android worse because it's linked with Google, Chrome also Google is also awash with it. But there's is something more nefarious about your desktop OS reading through your word files and scanning your photographs so it can shove a directed advert at you whilst playing Solitaire.

The only way to really get away from that is to dump your smartphone, run Linux on your computer and run your own email server and then dump Facebook etc etc etc.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes IOS and Android are rampant with that kind of stuff, Android worse because it's linked with Google, Chrome also Google is also awash with it. But there's is something more nefarious about your desktop OS reading through your word files and scanning your photographs so it can shove a directed advert at you whilst playing Solitaire.

The only way to really get away from that is to dump your smartphone, run Linux on your computer and run your own email server and then dump Facebook etc etc etc.
If you have an android smartphone, then you can run Linux on it as well.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I bought a new Lenovo z70-80 which arrived yesterday - i7-5500u, Nvidia 840m, 1080p screen, 16gb ram. if you get it today from amazon you can get £100 cashback meaning it'll end up costing £550. I installed Windows 10 straight away and I've been messing around with it since.

XBOX: the girlfriend was watching some chick flick so I decided to play fifa over streaming. The second half had some lag and caused me to miss a penalty but it was on the whole very stable over wifi and looked like a game being played simply on lower settings. Connection didn't drop and worked flawlessly with my old fake 360 wired controller.

Edge: its good. Very good actually. I've installed chrome as a back up but possibly won't use it because Edge is quite fast. It did have a moment on me a second ago when I was using Facebook to message someone but a quick closing of the tab and opening fixed any issues.

Upgrading: I had to install all the updates to try to force the issue but after the penultimate round of updates my Get Windows 10 app disappeared so I downloaded the tool from Microsoft and installed like that. I had already installed Steam with FM15, Civ and Lego Worlds and ****ed about on all three of them while 10 was downloading. Post upgrade all apps are still there, tested lego worlds and FM with no issues including loading a save I had backed up on my external hard drive.

I've not used Cortana yet and i'm at work all this weekend so won't be able to mess around for an entire day until Tuesday but it's very good.

For the record, I liked windows 8/8.1 - metro for me worked well. using a traditional start menu with the metro interface sort of there is a good compromise.

I have a feeling Microsoft nailed it with this one.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
XBOX: the girlfriend was watching some chick flick so I decided to play fifa over streaming. The second half had some lag and caused me to miss a penalty but it was on the whole very stable over wifi and looked like a game being played simply on lower settings. Connection didn't drop and worked flawlessly with my old fake 360 wired controller.

Xbox? Have I missed something here? Where does that come into the picture?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
You can stream Xbone games on to your Windows 10 PC.

Okay... so, I have my Xbox running in another room, and I can view/control it from my PC?

What's the advantage over sitting on the comfy sofa, in front of my 55inch TV?

Or is it actually running on my PC somehow?

Do I sound confused?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Okay... so, I have my Xbox running in another room, and I can view/control it from my PC?

What's the advantage over sitting on the comfy sofa, in front of my 55inch TV?

Or is it actually running on my PC somehow?

Do I sound confused?

It's a very limited use case, but for example where you have another half that wants to watch dirge on the TV you can retreat to your man cave and stream the Xbox to your PC.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's a very limited use case, but for example where you have another half that wants to watch dirge on the TV you can retreat to your man cave and stream the Xbox to your PC.

Ah, gotcha! Probably quite a common "use case"! You should hear the grief I get for not wanting to watch her programs...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Having heard that you can delay applying the upgrade for up to a year, I (mistakenly) thought that it would along the lines of "download the update, run when ready." oh no. It downloaded all right, but the delay was only up to two days. So I set the date for the middle of the night when I knew the computer would be off, so when I boot up this morning, I get the 15 minute countdown to update, so i choose delay again. Again, can only defer for two days. Means I will have to sodding well repeat this experience every day or so for the next month or two. Poorly explained, poorly executed, poorly designed. Microsoft does it again.

I blame myself of course, but I just can't help myself prodding about with OS's and such like. My desktop pc won't upgrade as the wifi card is not supported (I dual boot with Linux and chose the card with an eye to compatability). Anyone know of a PCI wifi card that is Windows 10 and Linux compatible, as at the moment there seems to be naff all information...

It downloaded for me on Wednesday. I don't want to install it until this weekend so set the reminder for Friday. When I turned my laptop on yesterday it showed up as due to start in ten minutes. I thought I must have selected the wrong day, but Saturday was now available so I, quite deliberately, set it for saturday morning. I just turned my laptop on and got the notice about the update starting in 4 minutes, unless I rescheduled.

I'm glad I'm not planning on waiting any longer than tomorrow.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Mine froze while finishing the install process so I had to hard restart my laptop, other than that it seems great.
Only problem I have is WebGL not working properly on Chrome, not sure if that's a windows conflict or not though.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It downloaded for me on Wednesday. I don't want to install it until this weekend so set the reminder for Friday. When I turned my laptop on yesterday it showed up as due to start in ten minutes. I thought I must have selected the wrong day, but Saturday was now available so I, quite deliberately, set it for saturday morning. I just turned my laptop on and got the notice about the update starting in 4 minutes, unless I rescheduled.

I'm glad I'm not planning on waiting any longer than tomorrow.

Yup, getting that too. Doesn't matter what date or time you set, it decides for you. Means I can't leave my laptop on unattended for any length of time. Thanks, Microsh*t.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've installed it now. I'm not sure I like it. It doesn't help that my synaptic touchpad no longer scrolls. Even after uninstalling the driver, and trying to install it again. Now I'm having to use my arrow keys to scroll. It also seems to take longer to load up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here