Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin TiVo boxes

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
complete loss of Internet and tv last fri, sun and then again this sun and mon......reminds me, I must phone tomorrow and demand some compensation.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Can I ask how you find Virgin compared to Sky, I currently have everything with them, TV (Sky sports no movies), Broadband (not fibre) and phone. Phoned them 2 weeks ago to see if I could blag a cheaper a package as I currently pay £87 PM and they basicly showed me the finger, so I said I wanted to cancel.

I am now in my 30 day cancellation period and have looked at other providers but have come to the conclusion that in terms of their TV package sky is better than Virgin ( like Sky Atlantic and F1 channel), but I am P'd off with there attitude, so as much as I am tempted to call them up and change my mind about cancelling I feel I should move out of principle.

How do you find they compare?? Any thoughts appreciated.

I cancelled my Sky package and they called me at end of 30 days and gave me 6 months totally free as an incentive to return. I didn't even have Sports or Movies and they chucked that in too.

I've now gone to BT and it's fine and as cheap as chips, £5 a month with BT Infinity (fibre). Don't have Sky Sports but I could if I wanted.

You might want to check it out, don't know how it compares to cable as not available here

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
cant complain with ntl,sorry virgin,i pay 66 quid,thats umlilited phone,xl package with free bt sports and 2 boxes,plenty of free hd channels and decent broadband,cant go over to sky because everytine sky have offered me a package,i ring up virgin to cancel,they straight away offer me a better deal,hence why ive been with them so long

Aug 21, 2011
I moved from Sky to Virgin in September. I'd had broadband from NTL/VM for many years without a problem and wanted to put everything together. Negotiated a deal I was happy with so moved over. There are a few less HD channels than Sky although these are mainly in the less popular channels. Red button services all seem to work and Virgin have the advanced BBC red button service which is good for catch up but not if you like text. Despite checking the alignment we used to suffer with picture break up on Sky which isn't an issue with Virgin.

Sky will tell you that the Virgin HD is not as good quality as theirs but to my eyes, it seems just as good if not better. They also tried to tell me how award winning their service was which made me laugh given how long I had waited to speak to someone!

Tivo is different to Sky+ and takes a bit of getting used to but generally is just as good.

Thanks for your responses, I have now just completed the online order for Virgin. Only question I have is, at the moment my email address is a SKY email i.e ......@sky.com. Im assuming I wont be able to use this when my service ceases with SKY (I pick them up on my laptop via outlook not on the SKY website), this was one of my concerns about switching providers as it is going to be a pain in the arse changing all my email address I have registered. When I get Virgin I guess they will offer a variation of their own email address, but again I will feel tied into them with this for the future. Do any of you know of any decent reliable Email providers out there or would you stick with your service provider one??

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Has anyone else got one of these and if so, does it randomly keep resetting itself?

It's a pain as you can be half way through a programme and the fecking thing cuts out for about 5 minutes!

There seems to be varying reports on the virgin message boards of causes and what virgin should be doing

I've caught mine rebooting itself in the early morning hours when most normal people are asleep, never had this happen at prime time though.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Thanks for your responses, I have now just completed the online order for Virgin. Only question I have is, at the moment my email address is a SKY email i.e ......@sky.com. Im assuming I wont be able to use this when my service ceases with SKY (I pick them up on my laptop via outlook not on the SKY website), this was one of my concerns about switching providers as it is going to be a pain in the arse changing all my email address I have registered. When I get Virgin I guess they will offer a variation of their own email address, but again I will feel tied into them with this for the future. Do any of you know of any decent reliable Email providers out there or would you stick with your service provider one??

I went over to Virgin last summer. I set up a new email account with them as I thought my Sky account would close but my Sky email account remains active, so I use both but register new stuff on my Virgin media account, as well as not having to change contact details with all the companies who contact me via Sky.com.

Aug 21, 2011
I went over to Virgin last summer. I set up a new email account with them as I thought my Sky account would close but my Sky email account remains active, so I use both but register new stuff on my Virgin media account, as well as not having to change contact details with all the companies who contact me via Sky.com.

That's not what I expected but if that's the same in my case I will be quite happy. Thanks

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Buy your own domain name for about a tenner and then pay hosting fees of less than £20 a year and you will never have this problem again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
cant complain with ntl,sorry virgin,i pay 66 quid,thats umlilited phone,xl package with free bt sports and 2 boxes,plenty of free hd channels and decent broadband,cant go over to sky because everytine sky have offered me a package,i ring up virgin to cancel,they straight away offer me a better deal,hence why ive been with them so long

Pay that too, but WITHOUT:

Phone
TiVo
Just one box
Broadband

Either you have an amazing deal, or I'm getting ripped off.
May call them.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury

Phone
TiVo
Just one box
Broadband

May call them.

I have Virgin phone & broadband, but went back to Sky for TV when they offered me the 6 months free. I feel that mix is probably best for me.
As regards prices: Virgin don't seem to want to let you move onto the new lower prices, even when your contract period comes to an end. I managed to get a better deal (including TV box for our spare room) when I argued it, at the expense of tying myself in for 12 months more, but it's still not quite as good a deal as what they're offering new customers (although admittedly those deals involve a longer tie-in). ...except that, when I got the paperwork, I realised there was a connection fee that I don't recall them mentioning, which wiped out my savings, so I cancelled the order and stayed on my slightly higher tariff but with no tie-in.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland

Phone
TiVo
Just one box
Broadband

May call them.

Your being ripped off, go on that Martin Lewis moneysaving website,I ring virgin every year

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just had the engineer visit.....replaced a load of cables, a couple of boxes on the wall, changed the tap in the virgin cable boxes out on the road, so let's hope that has fixed it.

Broadband seems a bit faster too....so that is nice

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Just phoned them and they told me that you need to reboot them every four days as they keep throwing updates down the line.

Anyway, they rebooted the thing remotely and it looks ok at the moment.

On another point my broadband keeps losing internet connectivity and they are coming up again as seemly the router keeps resetting itself..it's the second one we have had. Working from home is a mare whe the internet keeps dropping!

The rebooting every 4 days sounds strange. We've had ours 2 years now and were never told that had to be done when they installed it and it's always run perfectly fine.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Engineer reckoned at least every couple of weeks. Seemly they push loads of updates down the line.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Engineer reckoned at least every couple of weeks. Seemly they push loads of updates down the line.

Glad you got it sorted. There is a difference though between a restart for updates and having to restart a non-working box. The point is if things are working fine, you should be able to leave it alone.

Strangely I had broadband issues this morning and had to call them. It got fixed pretty quickly, but partly because I know enough to insist I don't have any problems with WiFi and would not let them piss about needlessly with my settings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here