Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
“Up to 85,000 retail jobs disappeared from Britain’s high streets in the first nine months of this year after a surge in the number of businesses going bust and closing stores.
Nearly 1,000 businesses – from big employers such as House of Fraser, Evans Cycles and Poundworld to independent traders – went into administration between January and September, according to new data seen by the Observer, the highest number in five years. A further 26 big companies, including New Look, Carpetright, Mother care and Homebase, opted to close stores – up 73% on the same period last year.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/11/jobs-lost-retailers-high-street-decline

You really do get desperate sometimes to link something to Brexit. And yes, I know you have explicitly linked this to Brexit but you have implied it .... by putting it in the Brexit thread to start with. It's pathetic.

Let's pick a few of the examples you've posted :

House of Fraser - poor online model, high rental properties. Poor management - hence why they were all sacked.

Homebase - taken over by Australian PE who have admitted they didn't understand the UK market and removed the most popular lines.

Poundland - on online presence.

Evans Cycles - have admitted they over stretched their property portfolio and been hit by online competition.

Mothercare - huge rents in popular shopping centres have hurt them. That combined with a poor pricing policy compared to online competitors.

Carpetright - PE backers pulled the plug. Too many stores.

But you carry on with your anti-British business agenda and linking everything to Brexit. You might want to look at the unstable leadership and economy in your beloved Germany.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Shiiit? You mean the internet that has been around for decades, it is about time it did something.

Erm when did internet shopping take off ???. How long have Amazon been around not decades is it. The way to save more jobs would be to tax the online sites as they currently pay peanuts and with the money raised assist the struggling shops with lowering business rates

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well, you show your ignorance and ability to use it to blame bad events on anything but brexit. Amazon is 24 years old and you are saying that just this year it is having an effect? Laughable.

I can assure you internet sales 24yrs ago were probably 0% as dial up broadband just wouldn't have allowed it. You would've waited an hour for a page to come up. It's only taken off with the advent of mobile phones

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Come on, admit you are wrong about Amazon not being decades old. #BrexitIgnorance.

Yeah got me on that one. Had you on the internet speeds though. It did takes sometimes hours to load 1 page hence the shops were well used. Now with the speeds available no need to leave your armchair

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Well, you show your ignorance and ability to use it to blame bad events on anything but brexit. Amazon is 24 years old and you are saying that just this year it is having an effect? Laughable.

Good grief :facepalm: Now look up when Amazon started to make a profit. You weren't around 24 years ago and so you won't understand how slow the internet was then - at home it was dialup - too slow for most things and at work there was a single PC connected to the internet running Windows 3.0 and you had to detail in a log book how long you were on it and where you went. The internet has GRADUALLY aroded the high street and most those businesses HT has implied have been affected by Brexit have actually been killed by online shopping. #engagebrainbeforecommenting

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Good grief :facepalm: Now look up when Amazon started to make a profit. You weren't around 24 years ago and so you won't understand how slow the internet was then - at home it was dialup - too slow for most things and at work there was a single PC connected to the internet running Windows 3.0 and you had to detail in a log book how long you were on it and where you went. The internet has GRADUALLY aroded the high street and most those businesses HT has implied have been affected by Brexit have actually been killed by online shopping. #engagebrainbeforecommenting

His silence is deafening on the speeds.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Did this advance in speed happen this year? Or is it juuuust possible that something else is t play?

Maybe ask the shops owners who are closing down. High rentals and intense cheaper competition from the internet is the reason. The internet just doesn't have the overheads shops do. You still can't admit you were wrong about internet speeds decades ago then ?

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
lion-jpg.jpg

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I never said anything about them. I am just supprised that, given the prevalence of online shopping for the last decade, that it has just had an effect in the aftermath of the brexit vote. It has nothing to do with brexit at all? Laughable.

Your inability to grasp anything amazes me. I would think the majority on this thread now use the internet to buy whatever they require because probably in 100% of the cases it is cheaper even with delivery than travelling to a shop to purchase it. Hence shops lose business and then in some circumstances close down. They cannot compete on a level playing field with internet shopping. It is nothing to do with Brexit no matter how much you keep repeating it.
Maybe you Could start a movement to bar internet shopping and banking to save the high street.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Ah huh. I understand that. But I fail to see how suddenly it has caused the highest number of shops to go out of business in the last year. Why all of a sudden? Hmmm not brexit? Bullshit, it just more brexiteering illegally funded project fear.

Pointless even trying to hold a civilised conversation as no matter what the subject matter is in your warped mind it's all Brexits fault and you cannot face admitting your wrong.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
48 hours get an EU summit together to strike a deal that parliament will vote down or start spending a sh1t more dough on planning for a no deal that parliament will vote down.

Just heard Justine Greening on the today programme echoing what she said in July, there’s no majority in parliament for any Brexit deal, calling for a 3 way preference vote on May’s Deal, No Deal and the current deal.

None of this is good, keep some powder dry we’re in for a rocky ride

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I see Bloomberg is now reporting on the $240 be a day market that is leaving London for Amsterdam solely because of Brexit. So many news outlets commenting on this but not one Leave voter. Baffling. It’s massive news. It’s almost as if they’re avoiding reality or something. Well, reality won’t avoid them. Hope they have some contingency plans in place for their loved ones.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-month-market-leaves-london-because-of-brexit

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Regarding the High street. It’s been on its arse long before Brexit. The internet and high rent prices took it to the brink years ago. Brexit has pushed it over the edge.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I see Bloomberg is now reporting on the $240 be a day market that is leaving London for Amsterdam solely because of Brexit. So many news outlets commenting on this but not one Leave voter. Baffling. It’s massive news. It’s almost as if they’re avoiding reality or something. Well, reality won’t avoid them. Hope they have some contingency plans in place for their loved ones.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-month-market-leaves-london-because-of-brexit

Yes there are some winners from Brexit, other EU countries. The poor will suffer from all this most....

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Ah huh. I understand that. But I fail to see how suddenly it has caused the highest number of shops to go out of business in the last year. Why all of a sudden? Hmmm not brexit? Bullshit, it just more brexiteering illegally funded project fear.

My you are very stupid. The decimation of the high street started well before the Brexit vote - Dixons, BHS, Staples, C&A, Woolworths, Virgin, Banana Republic, Phones 4U, Austin Reed, Athena, Blockbuster, Past Times, Tie Rack, JJB Sports, Comet, Boarders Bookshops, Focus DIY ( hooray !!! ), Principles, MFI, The Gadget Shop - all went bust well before Brexit. The number of high street businesses going bust has gradually increased as faster and faster internet speeds have been rolled out. It's happening the world over - next you'll be telling us the troubles of Toys R Us USA are because of Brexit ! In the UK it's not helped by very high rents and very high business rates. Once again, nothing to do with Brexit.

You really need to get it into your thick head that not everything bad is linked to Brexit ...... stop following HT's lead.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Theresa Dismay is firmly focussed on the *No deal* outcome she is hurtling towards. Sadly with the Henry VIII th powers at her disposal, I'm not convinced by Starmer when he says Parliament can block it.

I however reckon her Project Blame will fail, and people will eventually see through her deflection and lay the real fault at the doors of the Government, and the ERG.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My you are very stupid. The decimation of the high street started well before the Brexit vote - Dixons, BHS, Staples, C&A, Woolworths, Virgin, Banana Republic, Phones 4U, Austin Reed, Athena, Blockbuster, Past Times, Tie Rack, JJB Sports, Comet, Boarders Bookshops, Focus DIY ( hooray !!! ), Principles, MFI, The Gadget Shop - all went bust well before Brexit. The number of high street businesses going bust has gradually increased as faster and faster internet speeds have been rolled out. It's happening the world over - next you'll be telling us the troubles of Toys R Us USA are because of Brexit ! In the UK it's not helped by very high rents and very high business rates. Once again, nothing to do with Brexit.

You really need to get it into your thick head that not everything bad is linked to Brexit ...... stop following HT's lead.

My word you really have a selective and blinkered view. Do you really think Brexit has absolutely nothing to do with this? As [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] said, Brexit helped push them over the edge. When they needed help you are your friends voted to put the boot in. A simple look at, for example, Evans cycles website will tell you they’re struggling partly due to the increase in costs of materials and products due to the collapse of the pound post Brexit. Brexit is not the main reason but if you think it hasn’t played a part you’re ignorant. And that list is baffling. Those businesses went bust for various reasons which were not Brexit related....but this clearly doesn’t totally remove Brexit as a future reason. Your thought process is illogical to say the least.

Jan 30, 2008
May cancels tomorrow's cabinet meeting set up to approve the deal as they have nothing to approve and there won't be anything to take to the EU this month. And some morons worry about what type of coat Corbyn was wearing to the Cenotaph
was it a turncoat ???
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here