Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women vs Man City 21st October - includes great offer for season ticket holders

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair play to the club trying to get the numbers up! But Crawley? sod that!

This. There will be some pompous oaf along in a minute lecturing us on why games MUST take place in Crawley. But until that is no longer the case then sadly numbers will be sorely down. As if to underline the fact, you couldn't even just jump on a train to the game today, you'd be on a poxy replacement bus. Sake!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
0-6.

At least it didn't rain.

And it could've been worse. Today's fixture between North Leigh and Oxford United Women finished 0-19. #goodjourneyhome

Last edited:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I switched off too. Watched a bit of the first half.

The standard is obviously low, a bit like watching a conference game.

It's only the first year of being professional though. The formations were organised, but fitness levels looked low. The girls can kick a football and make a tackle, but it's some way off from being quality. Give it a few years though.

I think that is harsh on the National league.

Hope Powell must thank goodness there seems to be a lack of interest at the moment. Can you imagine the number of threads calling for her to be sacked (I'm not saying she should be) on here if it was as big as the men's game. I haven't seen one negative comment.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
With the amount of money in the men's game, it absolutely should be subsidised.

disagree. Sky generates it's money from subscribers who watch men's football on TV and pays it over to clubs whose men's team is in the PL. Obviously it's up to the PL clubs what they do with the money. I would rather sign a top quality player to improve the first team and help us move up the PL than subsidise a team that fans have little interest in. I bet Hope Powell is on a fair whack.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Chicken or the egg though. In order to get the standard up, there needs to be investment in youth, training, coaching, etc. The women need to be full time from a young age like the men.

With the amount of money in the men's game, it absolutely should be subsidised.
I do understand your point Mustafa but the money is in the men’s game for a reason....... it’s entertaining. Women’s football at club level is a joke in comparison. It should not be artificially elevated. I mean why Mustafa ? It could never stand on its own. It is so far removed from the men’s game that it will always suffer badly in comparison. In a nutshell it is s.hit.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Just back from the game - as expected a tough afternoon for Brighton. Man City punished any mistakes and broke forward with speed that we just couldn't deal with. Powell made a change at the half to bring on Umitong and we started the second half brightly pushing forward and having a few chances, but our heads dropped after their third goal. Unusually Buet didn't have such a good game as normal, and Hoonihan seemed reluctant to come for anything in goal which didn't help. Rafferty my Player of the Match.

At least the crowd of over 800 enjoyed the lovely October sunshine!

Official match report here : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...-women-vs-manchester-city-women-on-21-oct-18/

Next home match is Sunday 21st October at 2pm against Yeovil and is a true 6 pointer as they are our relegation rivals.

UTA!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
With investment, and a few years to develop, the women's game can be almost as entertaining as the men's game.

As the quality improves, the crowds will grow with its reputation, and televised games will increase. Eventually it will hold its own.

Tennis is a good example of a sport where years of investment and development has resulted in a top quality women's game.

It just needs investment, and time.

Never in my lifetime

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Bit unfair making them play two matches on the same day shirley? :moo:

Whoops, serves me right for posting without checking! The match is actually the 28th October...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is Hope Powell a bit overrated ? She was a consistent under achiever with the England women’s team which only improved after she left and although the team has had a step up here results have been pretty poor.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Is Hope Powell a bit overrated ? She was a consistent under achiever with the England women’s team which only improved after she left and although the team has had a step up here results have been pretty poor.

An example, I think, of trying to run before you can walk.

The team is clearly not yet of the standard to compete in that division against some of the best teams in Europe. Far better, IMHO, to build and develop the squad and advance through promotion from WSL2 rather than just buying a ticket for the top table.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
...rather than just buying a ticket for the top table.

That right? How so?

There’s no intent to show disbelief at your assertion; I’m truly ignorant on this matter. Did we really just buy our league position? Literally?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

That is about as one-eyed as you can get.

Hope Powell put the England women's team on the map. Until then, the England women's set-up was third rate at best. A former international, who had does all the badges etc., and with little support from the FA (in fact, with a certain amount of hostility; a black lesbian - can't have that! etc), she initially dragged that team up by its boot-straps to lay the foundations for what followed, including getting England to the semi-final of the Euros and twice to the quarter-final s of the World Cup.

Any success which comes now is mostly as a result of (a) the platform she built and (b) the extra funding which goes into the Women's elite game.

Awful way for you to dismiss her achievements that way.

An example, I think, of trying to run before you can walk.

The team is clearly not yet of the standard to compete in that division against some of the best teams in Europe. Far better, IMHO, to build and develop the squad and advance through promotion from WSL2 rather than just buying a ticket for the top table.

While it's true that there is a gulf in class between Manchester City and Brighton, the Albion matched Man City for large parts of the game, especially in the second half. But the truth is, the gulf in class between Albion Women and Manchester City women is no less than the gulf in class between the respective men's teams. Brighton men and women finished second in their respective seasons before going up.

True, much more of the women's set up is currently based around facilities and investment - we are at that point in the development of the women's game, and I share Powell's concern, and hope that the money doesn't get toploaded into elite football at the expense of grass-roots development.

But to say we bought a ticket for the top table isn't fair. There are bigger clubs in the second division, they could easily have bought their way in. At least in finishing second, there is some justification for promotion.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It not the results that stop me going. Its the entertainment value. Its a different game . Cant see those that follow mens football been interested ( unless a big game )so they need to find a whole new audience. Pleased to see there were 800 for last game. Assume FA give big contribution towards cost to get it off ground otherwise clubs will be losing a fortune. £5 a head by 300/400 is going to pay to many wages. We have Premier income but how on earth do Yeovil cope

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here