Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seagull line

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I remember that, cost me a fortune in the summer preceding Barry Lloyd taking us up from the 3rd division.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’ll never forget the seagull line headlining “the big news is Albion have signed an England international star”.

The younger me was thinking Steve bull, or possibly mark wright , part of me dreamed of lineker in blue and white.

It was mark barham.

My dad went nuts about the phone bill for the seagull line. That , and “a warm welcome to sussex county cricket club”. 0898121412 if memory serves.

Good thread, op

Last edited:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
‘And it’s bad news for the Albion’

Originally it was a normal rate phone call and when I got my first phone (landline!) BT gave the option of 10 numbers that were free so it was the first one I added.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The exact same thing happened with my parents... I had to dig out the number from a programme to convince them I hadn't been ringing one of those 60 second **** lines... Naturally I'd hung on for five minuets or more at times, my dad was probably secretly impressed.

Alas the £35 it all cost was less impressive :/

Ah brilliant, the Seagulls Line was a regular feature on my parents phone bill, not funny when my pocket money was stopped as a punishment.
Just imagine if you had that silent pause, that they have on celeb progs, when announcing a new player!

D

Deleted User X18H

"You've called the Seagull line on Brighton 8049 - that's the number for Albion information everyday 24 hours a day"

RIP Tony Millard

I called it when I got home on 26th May 1983 - just to make sure.

D

Deleted User X18H

Did it become something else? Maybe a longer number - but pretty sure it was still Tony Millard then? Whatever it was, it cost me a lot of coins....

Maybe the Sussex Sport Line

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Really ? I'm sure it had stopped by 1991

Definitely remember ringing it once or twice during the mid 90's to discover we'd signed Craig 'I only scored at the Goldstone' Maskell from Southampton. Maybe it was Swindon. Think we signed a small Scottish winger around about the same time. Can't remember his name.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Great memories of phoning it back in the day. I can still hear Millard in my head now...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Really ? I'm sure it had stopped by 1991

Did it become something else? Maybe a longer number - but pretty sure it was still Tony Millard then? Whatever it was, it cost me a lot of coins....

Definitely remember ringing it once or twice during the mid 90's to discover we'd signed Craig 'I only scored at the Goldstone' Maskell from Southampton. Maybe it was Swindon. Think we signed a small Scottish winger around about the same time. Can't remember his name.

I'm sure I remember still calling it around 1999/2000, and it may still have been Tony Millard. At some point it became part of the Club Call brand, and was still being advertised in the programme in the 1999-2000 season:-

SeagullLine.jpg

In fact, a quick browse shows it was still going in the 2001-02 season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Paul McDonald ?
Liked him.

Yes I also inflicted inflicted unreasonably large phone bills on my parents on 0898 800 609. After a midweek away game I'd stumble in the door and it would be the first thing I did.

"You've called the Seagull Line on 0898 800 609, thats the Seagull Line, for all the latest Albion news. And its been another disappointing result on the road for the Albion tonight, as they went down by 3 goals to nil at Stockpo...."

*click*

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Paul McDonald ?
Liked him.

Yes I also inflicted inflicted unreasonably large phone bills on my parents on 0898 800 609. After a midweek away game I'd stumble in the door and it would be the first thing I did.

"You've called the Seagull Line on 0898 800 609, thats the Seagull Line, for all the latest Albion news, every day, 24 hours a day. And its been another disappointing result on the road for the Albion tonight, as they went down by 3 goals to nil at Stockpo...."

*click*

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Paul McDonald ?
Liked him.

Yes I also inflicted some unreasonably large phone bills on my parents on 0898 800 609. After a midweek away game I'd stumble in the door and it would be the first thing I did.

"You've called the Seagull Line on 0898 800 609, thats the Seagull Line, for all the latest Albion news, every day, 24 hours a day. And its been another disappointing result on the road for the Albion tonight, as they went down by 3 goals to nil at Stockpo...."

*click*

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Yup “You’ve called the seagull line on brighton 8049, that’s the number for Albion information every day 24 hours a day”. That and the Argus were pretty much the only ways to get detailed information. I must have spent a good part of my student grant (yes we got paid to go to university) calling that number. Happy days!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here