Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
On the positive side it should generate some punters and will be unique - I don't think there is another in the world.

Rhyl has already got one:thumbsup: 52065460_rhyl_skytower-168x300.jpg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As a person with a business on the seafront I cant see it working. Discussed it with other traders here and all admit the finances don't make sense. For a start the £20 cost or what £50 for a family? Families don't have £50. Couples don't have £40 for that matter. It will be good for the town as more and more people come down to see it. They will spend their £15 in Wetherspoons for dinner and £5 on a couple of ice creams. But £40?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
As a person with a business on the seafront I cant see it working. Discussed it with other traders here and all admit the finances don't make sense. For a start the £20 cost or what £50 for a family? Families don't have £50. Couples don't have £40 for that matter. It will be good for the town as more and more people come down to see it. They will spend their £15 in Wetherspoons for dinner and £5 on a couple of ice creams. But £40?

Presumably the guys in charge have carried out their assessments and done the sums; their target audience is more likely the one that shops in the Lanes rather than the seafront.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Are council tax payers footing bill for this, until it's open?

There maybe an initial flurry of visitors, but then the costs of a 'ride' will have to come down, to attract more in the long term..

I can see B&H council writing off some/all of the loan to the operator.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

There maybe an initial flurry of visitors, but then the costs of a 'ride' will have to come down, to attract more in the long term..

Is this based on some extensive research of these type of city tourist attractions, or just your hunch?

I don't know enough to comment, but given the Spineker was late, went over design budget, had design problems and eventual complete failure of the external lifts to work, BUT still made Portsmouth City Council a profit suggests to me that with Brighton's huge number of visitors throughout a calendar year that this will likely be a success and be profitable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's going to be great. I'm surprised it's taking to long to put up though, it's just lego.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

No council tax payers are not footing the bill.

The council has borrowed funds from the Public Works Loan Board which it then passes on to the developer at a higher rate of interest, the council keeps the difference so the council is intended to make money on this deal. The loan is a 25 year loan, so the short term risk is low. No funds have been diverted from council spending for this, the PWLB only lend money on revenue generating projects so borrowing for services isn't possible.

It's basically designed to provide an additional revenue stream at a time when council funding is being cut.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

No, council tax payers are not footing the bill for it. It's a government loan.

£13.50 for an Adult £6.75 for a Child, under 4's are £Free.

If the footfall isn't what is predicted, at worst it will break even. Extreme failure is highly unlikely.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No, council tax payers are not footing the bill for it. It's a government loan.

£13.50 for an Adult £6.75 for a Child, under 4's are £Free.

If the footfall isn't what is predicted, at worst it will break even. Extreme failure is highly unlikely.

Please don't tell me that, just like the wheel, they're not doing a discount for locals? The wheel is about a tenner a time, so I've done it once, but never again. However for a fiver I would probably do it at least once a year. It works for the Pavilion! :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here