Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pest Control - looking for advice/recommendations

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for all the replies - will call one of the local firms. It would be easier if they were in the loft, as it is I can’t see how we can get at them. There is no obvious access to set traps or set poison (or remove the bodies afterwards) without creating some building work.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Thanks for all the replies - will call one of the local firms. It would be easier if they were in the loft, as it is I can’t see how we can get at them. There is no obvious access to set traps or set poison (or remove the bodies afterwards) without creating some building work.

You do not need to place traps or poison in the location that you are hearing the scurrying noises. You just need to gain access into the fabric of the building. The mice (as I suspect they are) will be in all areas of the house inside the cavity walls and ceiling and lift voids. You maybe not hearing them in other areas due to insulation and other items.

My advise would be to place poison and traps in your loft and underneath the kick plates in the kitchen. Give it a few weeks and see what happens.

I have been a pest controller for 15 years but I do not cover the Burgess Hill area.

Good luck and PM me if you need any free advise.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Had an infestation of squirrels in attic space years ago. Got the council guy in who expertly laid poison down. Give it two weeks he said. Great, I asked, when can you come back to dispose of the squirrels. No, says he, YOU have to do that. Sake! One of life's grosser tasks, removing dead squirrels with the aid of a binliner and a pair of marigolds.

Got a wire mesh fitted at entrance to attic now. Tho there's one skinny little bugger of a baby squirrel can squeeze through it somehow. Annoying scampering of feet from the attic occasionally now the weather's getting cold. Even more annoying when he rolls his nuts across the floor. Sounds like sonic device is the way to go. Bit worried it might drive the staffie downstairs a bit head-mental tho. Any advice on that?

move the Staffie into the attic? Would probably lick baby squirrel to death .... simples

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My mates got rats in the basement of his bar in Brighton. So it’s the Weirach 100, a bottle of vodka and maybe something else and lets see what can go wrong

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Had an infestation of squirrels in attic space years ago. Got the council guy in who expertly laid poison down. Give it two weeks he said. Great, I asked, when can you come back to dispose of the squirrels. No, says he, YOU have to do that. Sake! One of life's grosser tasks, removing dead squirrels with the aid of a binliner and a pair of marigolds.

Got a wire mesh fitted at entrance to attic now. Tho there's one skinny little bugger of a baby squirrel can squeeze through it somehow. Annoying scampering of feet from the attic occasionally now the weather's getting cold. Even more annoying when he rolls his nuts across the floor. Sounds like sonic device is the way to go. Bit worried it might drive the staffie downstairs a bit head-mental tho. Any advice on that?

Next time, remember an air rifle is your friend - Then you can dispose of them immediately, much less gross....

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
*edited - provably given the situation is in the loft not applicable*

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks - no it’s definitely in the void above the ceiling........

That's life in London I'm afraid.

You can stop them getting in the house, but impossibly to stop them getting under floorboards in Victorian properties.

I managed to stop them getting in for a few years, but recently they were back. Probably coming up the pipes to the boiler.

It's expensive but I'll filled the area in, with a new rodent proof sealant. It dries to a soft consistency, but contains metal particles which they don't like to chew through.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
what if they don't die!? Have you heard a squirrel scream .... I have, it sounded like a demented guinea pig and that's just one

It's a fair question - I made sure I was a competent shooter before I fired at live quarry. I always go and check and despatch them if required. It's more humane than poison, IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here