Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber - New Deputy Chairman

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Club statement says this is partly in recognition of the fact PB has turned down opportunities to join "bigger clubs".

Sheffield Wednesday ?

Now, it doesn't say 'Massive clubs' does it?

More likely to be Leeds then.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
TB thinks and acts long term so I expect he is planning for things that we haven’t even thought of.

Good move to issue a hands off message to other clubs/football bodies.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I wonder what activities the Deputy Chairman role carries that weren't previously being done by either the Chairman or the CEO. It's great that those things that haven't been getting done for the last 6 years will now be done. I mean, Tony strikes you as someone who's so hopelessly inefficient that he wouldn't notice that key activities that needed to be done werent getting done, isn't he? For 6 years, I mean.

It's just a way of giving PB a pay rise, isn't it? Not got a problem with that in the slightest - he's an extremely well regarded CEO. So - why not just give him a pay rise?

EDIT: unless Tony's giving some of his responsibilities to PB, of course. Perhaps TB wants to spend some more time on other activities...?

View attachment 102193

I have no business knowledge, and I know you are much better qualified to answer this, but is it possible bloom be gifting him a share of the club with this promotion?
Otherwise it’s surely just a new title, with a pay rise, we’ve coped all this time without a vice chairman, why do we need one now.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have no business knowledge, and I know you are much better qualified to answer this, but is it possible bloom be gifting him a share of the club with this promotion?
Otherwise it’s surely just a new title, with a pay rise, we’ve coped all this time without a vice chairman, why do we need one now.

I suspect Tony will pass on some of his day to day responsibilities.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Dupe - apologies

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Well, Tony could gift some of his shares in the club to anyone at any time*. PB doesn't need a title change to receive shares from Tony...

* subject to some minor legal stuff, and probably pre-emption rights not being enforced by other shareholders.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I suspect Tony will pass on some of his day to day responsibilities.

Given TB spends half the year in Australia he probably wants to formerly appoint a deputy so reporting lines are clear when he isn’t around (and to clarify who ISN’T his deputy)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Given TB spends half the year in Australia he probably wants to formerly appoint a deputy so reporting lines are clear when he isn’t around (and to clarify who ISN’T his deputy)

I'm not sure anyone at the club needed this to tell them who is in charge!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm not sure anyone at the club needed this to tell them who is in charge!

I’m talking about the Board, not the executives

Ps - note this is deputy chairman, not vice chairman

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
758D5A87-8C39-4AEC-ABA8-0BD18C115F83.jpeg

Deputy to the Chairman

I suspect the bit in brackets is part of the reason Tim. With the new guy coming in there was always a potential clash, which TB will have nipped in the bud before it starts.

I have no idea if TB goes to all Board meetings these days or attends by conference calls when he's out of the country but this would also make it clear who chairs those meeting when TB isn't available, or can't be arsed to attend.

Plus it stops any other club or organisation poaching Barber.

So all in all a shrewd move by TB I would say. Cunning little bugger isn't he, our Chairman. :bowdown:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I suspect the bit in brackets is part of the reason Tim. With the new guy coming in there was always a potential clash, which TB will have nipped in the bud before it starts.

I have no idea if TB goes to all Board meetings these days or attends by conference calls when he's out of the country but this would also make it clear who chairs those meeting when TB isn't available, or can't be arsed to attend.

Plus it stops any other club or organisation poaching Barber.

So all in all a shrewd move by TB I would say. Cunning little bugger isn't he, our Chairman. :bowdown:

Exactly the way I see it

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thoroughly deserved and he works his socks off for the club. Having had some meetings with people from other clubs, whenever I tell them I'm an Albion fan there is universal appreciation of just how well regarded he is from others in the industry, and it's fairly common knowledge he was on the short list from for the CEO role from a much larger club in the North West.

He gives a talk to our students every year, in his own time, and it is always one that gets some of the best feedback.

It is possible to disagree with some of his decisions and think he does a great job for TB and the club as a whole. Some of the unpleasantness and hysteria from the comments he gets both on here and sent to the club are way out of proportion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here