Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Democratic results are enacted in this country (for very good reasons) ... only a very special type of precious :wanker: would argue this long standing UK tradition should suddenly stop because they didn't get their way.

Brexit is being enacted and no one is arguing that this should be suddenly stopped because they didn't get their way. Are you genuinely struggling with this or being deliberately facetious? I think others have labelled you as just a WUM and I would tend to agree.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
"Is it more democratic to rely on a three year old vote based on what an idealised Brexit might offer, or to have a vote based on what we know it does actually entail?"

Not my words footy genius, but Jo Johnson - https://medium.com/@JoJohnsonUK/why...governments-proposed-brexit-deal-3d289f95f2bc

'To present the nation with a choice between two deeply unattractive outcomes, vassalage and chaos, is a failure of British statecraft on a scale unseen since the Suez crisis.'

'Certainly, I know from my own work at the Department of Transport the potential chaos that will follow a “no deal” Brexit. It will cause disruption, delay and deep damage to our economy. There are real questions about how we will be able to guarantee access to fresh food and medicine if the crucial Dover-Calais trade route is clogged up. The government may have to take control of prioritising which lorries and which goods are allowed in and out of the country, an extraordinary and surely unworkable intervention for a government in an advanced capitalist economy. The prospect of Kent becoming the Lorry Park of England is very real in a no deal scenario.'

"Britain stands on the brink of the greatest crisis since the Second World War. My loyalty to my party is undimmed. I have never rebelled on any issue before now. But my duty to my constituents and our great nation has forced me to act."

brilliant response and not once dipping to @jcfootie genius level of refinement
:D

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I think the tipping point has been reached and now Brexit will not take place - the other thing that could (potentially, depending on the judgement from the ECJ on the 27/11) force it to continue is the refusal of some EU members to allow the UK to rescind or extend article 50.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
How many cases have there been where the time between the vote and the actual implementation have been so great? How many instances where what was voted for and what will happen are so different? How many cases where most probably the population would vote the opposite given a new vote based on both the political and demographic changes?

What tradition deals with that?

If you want to try that line of argument what about the numerous democratic votes including a General election that have happened since 2016 (how many more votes will it take)?

The remoaner argument used to be leavers didn't know what we voted for so a 'hard' Brexit is unacceptable, a softer Brexit will do ... now the argument goes a 'soft' Brexit is so far removed from what leavers voted for we need another vote .... brilliant!

Probably or probably not we will never find out :D

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Is it more democratic to rely on a three year old vote based on what an idealised Brexit might offer, or to have a vote based on what we know it does actually entail?"

Not my words footy genius, but Jo Johnson - https://medium.com/@JoJohnsonUK/why...governments-proposed-brexit-deal-3d289f95f2bc

'To present the nation with a choice between two deeply unattractive outcomes, vassalage and chaos, is a failure of British statecraft on a scale unseen since the Suez crisis.'

'Certainly, I know from my own work at the Department of Transport the potential chaos that will follow a “no deal” Brexit. It will cause disruption, delay and deep damage to our economy. There are real questions about how we will be able to guarantee access to fresh food and medicine if the crucial Dover-Calais trade route is clogged up. The government may have to take control of prioritising which lorries and which goods are allowed in and out of the country, an extraordinary and surely unworkable intervention for a government in an advanced capitalist economy. The prospect of Kent becoming the Lorry Park of England is very real in a no deal scenario.'

"Britain stands on the brink of the greatest crisis since the Second World War. My loyalty to my party is undimmed. I have never rebelled on any issue before now. But my duty to my constituents and our great nation has forced me to act."

Heart-warming to see a politician actually acting with a conscience, ahead of self-interest or blind party loyalty.

And incredible that the author of the quote shares genes with the least principled politician of our generation.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Heart-warming to see a politician actually acting with a conscience, ahead of self-interest or blind party loyalty.

And incredible that the author of the quote shares genes with the least principled politician of our generation.
Looks like Jo got all the decent genes in the family.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
If you want to try that line of argument what about the numerous democratic votes including a General election that have happened since 2016 (how many more votes will it take)?

The remoaner argument used to be leavers didn't know what we voted for so a 'hard' Brexit is unacceptable, a softer Brexit will do ... now the argument goes a 'soft' Brexit is so far removed from what leavers voted for we need another vote .... brilliant!

Probably or probably not we will never find out :D

But you didn’t follow the line of argument at all? Strange reply

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Brexit is being enacted and no one is arguing that this should be suddenly stopped because they didn't get their way. Are you genuinely struggling with this or being deliberately facetious? I think others have labelled you as just a WUM and I would tend to agree.

The whole campaign behind a second referendum is being run by people who never accepted the initial result, therefore, they are seeking to reverse a result before it can be enacted after numerous democratic votes (ending a longstanding UK democratic tradition) ... have any of the apologists for this undemocratic lunacy given any thought to the possible consequences if they are successful I wonder ...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
So the total Brexit case has now come down to

'We voted for it by a slim majority 2.5 years ago and although 2.5 years on nobody still knows what it is, it has to be done. People changing their minds is not allowed or democratic'

Compelling :thumbsup:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Always good to see a true class warrior using a privileged, Tory, private school toff etc etc argument :p

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The whole campaign behind a second referendum is being run by people who never accepted the initial result, therefore, they are seeking to reverse a result before it can be enacted after numerous democratic votes (ending a longstanding UK democratic tradition) ... have any of the apologists for this undemocratic lunacy given any thought to the possible consequences if they are successful I wonder ...

It was never binding, hence not undemocratic. It's just taken this long for even the most stubborn brexiters to think it's probably not a good idea afterall.
A bit of a waste of time really.
Still, it's kept May in position.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So the total Brexit case has now come down to

'We voted for it by a slim majority 2.5 years ago and although 2.5 years on nobody still knows what it is, it has to be done. People changing their minds is not allowed or democratic'

Compelling :thumbsup:

Fortunately, you have predicted it won't happen so nothing to worry about :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1060930401236066305[/tweet]

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It was never binding, hence not undemocratic. It's just taken this long for even the most stubborn brexiters to think it's probably not a good idea afterall.
A bit of a waste of time really.
Still, it's kept May in position.

*Sigh* see post #63359

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here