Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT - Electrical Advice Needed

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
Hoping any resident sparkies can give me some advice - Just moved in to a new rental and was surprised to see that this is the consumer unit for the flat.

GYrHEGZ.jpg

We have GFCH so no electric shower, but those fuses look like they're straight out of the 80's! I know it's recommended that domestic rentals use RCD's for safety purposes, is this something that's applicable here?

Thanks in advance.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wow. I am not an electrician but even I can tell that looks ancient. What state is the rest of the place in generally?

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
Wow. I am not an electrician but even I can tell that looks ancient. What state is the rest of the place in generally?

In really good nick in all honesty - Plug sockets all look new-ish with no burn marks or anything. Appliances are pretty old but serviceable, par for the course in a Brighton rental to be honest. This is the only real issue with the place.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In really good nick in all honesty - Plug sockets all look new-ish with no burn marks or anything. Appliances are pretty old but serviceable, par for the course in a Brighton rental to be honest. This is the only real issue with the place.

I'll leave it to an electrician to comment may be it's perfectly servicable. Either way, enjoy your new home.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Get an Electrical Installation Condition Report carried out. It should give you a comprehensive assessment of your electrical installation and highlight any defects from current regulations BS7671. 18th Edition comes into force in January 2019.

You'll need a new consumer unit for starters!!

PM me if you need any more assistance.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Wiring regs state periodic testing of domestic electric installs at 12 months or change of occupancy. Ask for the periodic test results on NICIEC or equivalent test sheets. That will highlight any non conformance with current 18th edition regs. Any non conformance that is dangerous or safety related should be resolved immediately.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Yes that's pretty old.

Guessing you're not in an HMO so it only needs to meet whatever the regulations were when it was installed.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Sh!t game of dominoes

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
3036 rewirables.. perfectly good, and no nuisance tripping when a halogen light goes pop.. what's not to like..?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
red dot = 15 Amp

Should mean you don't have an electric cooker as these usually run of 30 Amp

Also, I thought lighting circuits were 5 Amp

So maybe 3 x 15 Amp circuits is a bit unusual?

As others have said - get a certification done if you're at all worried ....

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
red dot = 15 Amp

Should mean you don't have an electric cooker as these usually run of 30 Amp

Also, I thought lighting circuits were 5 Amp

So maybe 3 x 15 Amp circuits is a bit unusual?

As others have said - get a certification done if you're at all worried ....
Your wrong there bud, 15A is blue dot on the old rewireables red is 30A, Definitely needs an upgrade the EICR obviously will fail still it’s not really your job to pay for one get onto the landlord or agency.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Your wrong there bud, 15A is blue dot on the old rewireables red is 30A, Definitely needs an upgrade the EICR obviously will fail still it’s not really your job to pay for one get onto the landlord or agency.

In which case 3 x 30 Amp circuits shirley ain't right?
I thought it was 30 Amp for cooker, 15 Amp for plug sockets ring and 5 Amp for lighting ring ?
As per other advise, ask to see the safety certificate - here's the landlords perspective

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here