Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done to the quicks - fantastic effort all around. I stuck to my plan (and the 2hr pacers - top fellas) and just about made it to marathon distance in one piece.

A sub-4 is gonna require a LOT of work. Maybe another year...
c91723eb499309da6f450fd8b2d4bb85.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION], I would say those efforts show you are on the right track - that's broken up and varying the pace, I think if you were running the Brighton Marathon today, you would have gone sub 4. Keep believing fella!
[MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] has knocked me back into Bronze with a 1:30:58 to continue his rapid improvement. :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
2-00.49 for me - bit annoying but great run. Was the guy in the white remf Tshirt anyone from here?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION], I would say those efforts show you are on the right track - that's broken up and varying the pace, I think if you were running the Brighton Marathon today, you would have gone sub 4. Keep believing fella!
[MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] has knocked me back into Bronze with a 1:30:58 to continue his rapid improvement. :thumbsup:

You're a good LOSER. You're future challenges are going to be pay per view. Great to see that upstart [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] squeeze between you and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and now enter the contest.

20 miles for me. Enjoyable. Ran around and up and down like Craig Mackail Smith near the Dyke after I realised I'd mistimed the total run ascent and needed to add a few extra climbs to get my target 5,000' for the week. Got there and had a nice 3 mile downhill finish with the wind behind me. Not bad for no breakfast, 7 jelly babies and half a pint of water.

Last edited:

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
1.51 for me. Going for sub 2 hours so well chuffed with that. A new 10k PB on the the way too. Well done everyone who ran.

Hope the guy that stacked it into a traffic cone at full pelt is ok!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] has knocked me back into Bronze with a 1:30:58 to continue his rapid improvement. [emoji106]
Yeah, maybe. Gotta do more cycling and swimming now so let's see what that does to the times...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Today was a good study in running without a warm up for me - no fuel, no fluids until the end. I just got up, got out and ran. I cycled about 3.5 miles at 15.5mph average pace to get there, so that had my heart rate going, but no muscle stretching of any kind. I am up for the 3 hour marathon in a big way!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
First ever half. Done 2:14:17. Probably about what I aimed for but feel a bit disappointed as I only trained upto around 15k, and then completely lost it on the way back from the Lagoon. Feel like proper training would have taken that much closer to 2. Still feel great to have done it though!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
First ever half. Done 2:14:17. Probably about what I aimed for but feel a bit disappointed as I only trained upto around 15k, and then completely lost it on the way back from the Lagoon. Feel like proper training would have taken that much closer to 2. Still feel great to have done it though!
Well done! Don't beat yourself up about the last three miles - that wind was pretty brutal on tired legs. Lots of people would've lost time there I think...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
2-00.49 for me - bit annoying but great run. Was the guy in the white remf Tshirt anyone from here?

Me! :bigwave:

1.58.53 on six weeks training, having been out for three months. TBH I hadn't even considered running today back in January, it kind of dawned on me as I tried to get some sort of purpose to my comeback and realised the runner emails were still coming in from when I'd entered last year.

For 12.5 miles I felt really good and even thought, to quote ppf, I had plenty in the tank. At the pier I got cramp in the back of both thighs at the same time and started to resemble a cripple. Got excellent verbal encouragement from a guy I'd been running with the whole way round before someone else pretty much physically pushed me over the line, Was expecting that last quarter mile to be at about 10 or 11 min pace but astonishingly Strava says it was 8.30 - the quickest I'd gone all day!

Enjoyed it more today than when I got the PB and certainly didn't mind the conditions although the first mile and the last three were hard work.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Well done all the NSC runners today. Lovely lovely day for a run. Like last year, slightly shambolic organisation, not enough loos, ridiculous scramble to drop baggage off and get to the right pen in time (even if you arrived at a decent time in advance as I did), with everyone milling around and getting in each other’s way trying to work out how to get to the start. Still too many pinch points on the course and having to dodge round slower runners. Let’s hope the course was correctly measured at least this time ... all that said it was perfect running conditions (a bit of cold wind aside) and I came in with 1:43:57 on the chip which is a PB for me and nearly four minutes off last year’s time. Capped off a great weekend after yesterday’s win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] was going in an REMF shirt I think ?

Cracking running everyone. Great efforts all round.

Yep. Also talked to a Burgess Hill Runner on the way round who'd had his 40th yesterday at The Amex hospitality. Nice bloke, said he was expecting to yack at mile 9 but instead he just ran off in to the distance :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Me! :bigwave:

1.58.53 on six weeks training, having been out for three months. TBH I hadn't even considered running today back in January, it kind of dawned on me as I tried to get some sort of purpose to my comeback and realised the runner emails were still coming in from when I'd entered last year.

For 12.5 miles I felt really good and even thought, to quote ppf, I had plenty in the tank. At the pier I got cramp in the back of both thighs at the same time and started to resemble a cripple. Got excellent verbal encouragement from a guy I'd been running with the whole way round before someone else pretty much physically pushed me over the line, Was expecting that last quarter mile to be at about 10 or 11 min pace but astonishingly Strava says it was 8.30 - the quickest I'd gone all day!

Enjoyed it more today than when I got the PB and certainly didn't mind the conditions although the first mile and the last three were hard work.
Well done mate, I looked out for you - thinking you world be near the 2-hour pack. The only NSCer I saw was [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]

Great comeback after injury.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Good running fella. That would have been Keith Brown.......

Well done mate, I looked out for you - thinking you world be near the 2-hour pack. The only NSCer I saw was [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]

Great comeback after injury.

Cheers both :)

2 hour pack was exactly right. Started at the back of the yellow group and tried to maintain the same gap to the 2 hour pacers as at the start. Worked out perfectly despite the cramp.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A big thumbs down for me on the new route. The pissing about round the Steine whilst necessary should be done at the start so when you see the crowds on your way back into Brighton, it's later in the race, not at mile 5.

Almost 8000 runners today and I think that's a few too many. The course was too narrow and I got clipped at least 3 times, probably as I'm a great wind break! Again use the Steine part early as wider roads, allow the field to thin out.

Bearing in mind they charge top dollar for the race, the organisation seems poor. The queue for the bags after the race was a joke, bearing in mind the freezing conditions. All the numbers were based on pen places so of course you get a major queue for the lower numbers whilst the higher numbers were unused. When trying to use the numbers up ahead, the bloke seemed thoroughly pissed off, I interrupted his tea-break. Not one volunteer from the queue's ahead were pro-active in helping the runners and their colleagues in bringing the queue down, whilst they had no demand as the numbers they were serving were yet to finish.

The only positive is it's 3.5 miles from my house, otherwise I wouldn't recommend this race.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here