Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good race. It is at this stage i am missing Contador and Froome as they would have made these mountain stages so much more and really given Nibili something to think about.

Really? That was incredible, there were attacks all the way up the climb, mini battles everywhere. Got to step back from the GC for a second and realise that behind that there is one hell of a race for stages, for jersey's, for podiums. Honestly, I was engrossed today, really seeing some young up and coming riders being given a chance to shine. Superb racing for me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Really? That was incredible, there were attacks all the way up the climb, mini battles everywhere. Got to step back from the GC for a second and realise that behind that there is one hell of a race for stages, for jersey's, for podiums. Honestly, I was engrossed today, really seeing some young up and coming riders being given a chance to shine. Superb racing for me.

Agreed.

For me, all the other stuff going on is sometimes of more interest to me than the GC battle. I particularly like seeing the progress of young riders and those flying just under the radar. I also really enjoy seeing who's in the breaks and if the break is going to survive or not. Today for example, I was as pleased by the ride of Nicolas Edet as I was about the nice stage win for Majka and the podium GC battle unfolding behind Nibs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I get what [MENTION=26802]martin tyler[/MENTION] is saying.
We watch top flight sport to see top flight sport, and knowing the best person won.

The battle for yellow was all set for an epic duel, now clearly would have been a 3 way battle.

As good the race is its now 'only' a good Vuelta, as opposed to the possibly once in a lifetime battle we were promised.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I get what [MENTION=26802]martin tyler[/MENTION] is saying.
We watch top flight sport to see top flight sport, and knowing the best person won.

The battle for yellow was all set for an epic duel, now clearly would have been a 3 way battle.

As good the race is its now 'only' a good Vuelta, as opposed to the possibly once in a lifetime battle we were promised.

Yes, sorry, I've probably jumped on [MENTION=26802]martin tyler[/MENTION] a bit quick there, but Froome and Contador are out, have been for a few days so it's not really any good not enjoying the rest of the race thinking about what could have been. It's still a very good race, and Nibali is no more dominant than Wiggo in '12 and Froome last year, only this time the rest of the race seems a lot more exciting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, sorry, I've probably jumped on [MENTION=26802]martin tyler[/MENTION] a bit quick there, but Froome and Contador are out, have been for a few days so it's not really any good not enjoying the rest of the race thinking about what could have been. It's still a very good race, and Nibali is no more dominant than Wiggo in '12 and Froome last year, only this time the rest of the race seems a lot more exciting.
This could well be the 'where it all began' Tour.

It's brilliant to have so many young French riders in the top ten, as it sends a powerful message as to the authenticity of the race and the riders.

But it's now no longer the race we were promised.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

Don't get me wrong i thought it was a fantastic climb and a great days racing.
I know Contador and Froome are no longer in and that there are other great riders to watch.
The races for the podium places is going to be a joy to watch.
All i was saying really is Nibili is clearly a man in great form at the peak of powers. I would have loved to see how good he was though compared to those 2 as i believe we have potentially missed out on something really special.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
July 20, Stage 15: Tallard - Nîmes 222km

Distance: 222km

Category: Flat

Highest point: 764m

stage_15_map_670.jpg

stage_15_profile_670.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Get in Alexander Kristoff you beauty! :O:clap::banana::rave:

That's the most nervous finish for me so far this Tour. Normally I'd be willing the breakaway to do it, and also willing on a typical -ride the peloton off your wheel - stunner that pretty much only Tony Martin and Taylor Phinney are capable of doing.

However, went to betting plan B today. Fed up with losing 50p & £1 e/w stakes on outsiders for a breakaway win, I went £5 e/w on shorter odds instead. Knew Kristoff was favourite today - long stage, possible echelons, OPQS trying to split it all up so meaning the top sprinters won't have an easy ride, and teams now savvy enough to let Giant and Lotto do all the work to chase back the break.

All adds up to Milan San Remo winner Kristoff being great value at 8/1. £5 e/w = £50 profit :)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Not sure if my favourite part of the weekend was Demare stopping in a random couple's camper van for a crap, or this -

Good work Tommy!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Get in Alexander Kristoff you beauty! :O:clap::banana::rave:

That's the most nervous finish for me so far this Tour. Normally I'd be willing the breakaway to do it, and also willing on a typical -ride the peloton off your wheel - stunner that pretty much only Tony Martin and Taylor Phinney are capable of doing.

However, went to betting plan B today. Fed up with losing 50p & £1 e/w stakes on outsiders for a breakaway win, I went £5 e/w on shorter odds instead. Knew Kristoff was favourite today - long stage, possible echelons, OPQS trying to split it all up so meaning the top sprinters won't have an easy ride, and teams now savvy enough to let Giant and Lotto do all the work to chase back the break.

All adds up to Milan San Remo winner Kristoff being great value at 8/1. £5 e/w = £50 profit :)

I'm going to have to disagree with you - I'm absolutely gutted for Bauer. It felt almost worse than Tony Martin's Vuelta last year. I doubt red numbers will ease the pain somehow. :(

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm going to have to disagree with you - I'm absolutely gutted for Bauer. It felt almost worse than Tony Martin's Vuelta last year. I doubt red numbers will ease the pain somehow. :(

We're not disagreeing because as I said, had it not been for my Kristoff bet I'd be rooting for the bunch not to catch them as well.

I read that Bauer didn't even get the red numbers apparently either, so I assume they must have given them to Elmiger instead, which seems odd as it was certainly Bauer who was the most aggressive in the last km at least. Perhaps the computer did the work rate number crunching throughout the day and Elmiger took longer turns at the front :shrug:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure if my favourite part of the weekend was Demare stopping in a random couple's camper van for a crap, or this -

Good work Tommy!

I can't quite work out what's going on there, apart from Tommy V having a go at the fans, because I can't see what they did or hear what's being said. Any ideas?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Dutch fans were booing him for no reason. You can hear them profusely apologising once he's stopped!

Oh right, thanks. Seems Tommy V is marmite for cycling fans from what I can gather. I'm in the love him camp personally, although I can well imagine he could be 'difficult' as a person.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tomorrow's stage looks like another belter, parcours wise, and the riders haven't let us down so far.

Would have been great to see if Nibs could have put time into Bert & Froome on the final descent. As it is, he's no need to go risking anything now, but I can see a few of the other GC lot trying to unnerve Pinot and get some time off of him there.

I'd like to see the stage win go to the break personally. A few decent contenders for this one. Tommy V surely guaranteed to be in the break, but not sure he has the legs anymore to make it all the way and take the stage.

Polka dots battle is intriguing now. Will Majka and J Rod battle out the KoM points, or wait for Weds and Thurs instead?, leaving perhaps Rogers and Spilak to get in the break for the stage win and hoover up any KoM points if need be?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here