Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Very nice. Have you fitted the SPD's yet ?

Oh yes, I did that the day I collected it. It's just the only photo I have of it.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
White bar tape will need replacing every 6 weeks, or once if you replace it with black first time!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Made a bit of a hash of a headset strip down today.

Decided to give the bike a good clean and check over, mainly because I've got an annoying creak again. Was surprised to find the bolts that join the two front rings together on the crank were all in need of a tighten. That might be the source of the creak, but thought I'd go ahead with a headset strip down service anyway.

Cut a long story short. I'm new to headset work and when I put it all back together again I'm left with what I feared most - major play so totally unrideable until I get it right. Trouble is I'm not sure where to start as I thought I did everything right the first time :cry: Left it for now and will go back to it, hopefully tomorrow.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Aren't youtube tutorials wondefrul things! :)

Headset now tightened after a quick look at a video. I'd made a simple error in reassembly in tightening the stem bolts BEFORE tightening the top cap bolt. Once I loosened off the stem bolts I could then tighten the top cat bolt to get the compression and then when firm tighten the stem bolts. Well chuffed, as that's another part of the bike I can deal with myself with some degree of confidence. Possibly only leaves a bottom bracket change as something I'd leave to the experts and those with the right tools.

This is the video that did the trick

[yt]1LTCthtmjD0[/yt]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aren't youtube tutorials wondefrul things! :)

Headset now tightened after a quick look at a video. I'd made a simple error in reassembly in tightening the stem bolts BEFORE tightening the top cap bolt. Once I loosened off the stem bolts I could then tighten the top cat bolt to get the compression and then when firm tighten the stem bolts. Well chuffed, as that's another part of the bike I can deal with myself with some degree of confidence. Possibly only leaves a bottom bracket change as something I'd leave to the experts and those with the right tools.

This is the video that did the trick

[yt]1LTCthtmjD0[/yt]
What bearing do you have in your headset, are they part cased, or loose?

My LBS man refuses to let me put a cased unit in, so I have to replace and re-grease the 70 odd little buggers by hand.
As much as I moan it's possible to get very 'zen' while doing it, and I've become quite proficient using tweesers!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What bearing do you have in your headset, are they part cased, or loose?

My LBS man refuses to let me put a cased unit in, so I have to replace and re-grease the 70 odd little buggers by hand.
As much as I moan it's possible to get very 'zen' while doing it, and I've become quite proficient using tweesers!!

Part cased. One or two did squirm out as I sprayed them with degreaser and gave the a rub around, but thankfully didn't lose any.

Just nipped around the block. Creak is still there when up out of the saddle, and especially up steep hills. Last tweak now is the big allen key bolts on either side of the crank shaft. Haven't got one big enough to fit it so will have to borrow one from work.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Part cased. One or two did squirm out as I sprayed them with degreaser and gave the a rub around, but thankfully didn't lose any.

Just nipped around the block. Creak is still there when up out of the saddle, and especially up steep hills. Last tweak now is the big allen key bolts on either side of the crank shaft. Haven't got one big enough to fit it so will have to borrow one from work.
While your at it, I'd take the stem out, clean and re-grease that too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The BBC have added to their 'Bespoke' podcast feed, yesterday afternoon's 5-live discussion 'Ride to Mainstream'.

I only caught a few minutes here and there, but it sounded good and I'm looking forward to hearing the full show later.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] what is it with 58cm bikes, Trek and Ebay?

I'd keep an eye on this one just to gauge what prices are about.
Back in the day it would be about it's price now, for what is 'just a bike'.
If this pushes on way past £200, you might have a problem buying a reasonable bike on the cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-roadbike-1-2-/151348179799?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item233d0df357

This one is interesting.
The fella hasn't done himself any favours with the photos or by setting a £400 minimum opening bid.
In the unlikely event of nobody bidding, I'd be tempted to swoop in with an offer of £300 settling for something like £350.
(Chances are it'll sell but not a long way past £400)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREK-1-7-...1279499901?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35d9551a7d
Just as I thought [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] that Trek 1.7 triple with a Shimano 105 groupset didn't sell, at £400.

It's a plenty good enough bike, and would be worth a cheeky inquiry.

Rather embarrassing phonecall from new LBS, where I'd taken bike in for a service. Had it serviced and new chain put on elsewhere (now moved premises so no longer LBS) in February, turns out they'd put a 9-speed chain on my 10-speed Shimano 105 cassette :facepalm: and I'd been too stupid to notice in almost 6 months and 1,100 miles :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok I'll try and write long enough the get my question across before the ridicule reigns down on me.

I've been a Michelin Pro Race guy, for longer than I can remember.
My current tyres are beginning to show some signs of age, and are in need of a swap.

Now I could get Pro Race 3's or 4's.

But I'm being drawn towards Vittoria Rubino Pro's, has anybody any experience of these.
How do they ride and roll, p******* resistant, etc.

Hey I got to the end, so that's ok then, there's no need to even wonder where the ridicule might come in.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ok I'll try and write long enough the get my question across before the ridicule reigns down on me.

I've been a Michelin Pro Race guy, for longer than I can remember.
My current tyres are beginning to show some signs of age, and are in need of a swap.

Now I could get Pro Race 3's or 4's.

But I'm being drawn towards Vittoria Rubino Pro's, has anybody any experience of these.
How do they ride and roll, p******* resistant, etc.

Hey I got to the end, so that's ok then, there's no need to even wonder where the ridicule might come in.

I've had one on the back for a month an I've been fairly happy with it.

Rolls OK, not like an expensive tyre but OK.

Holds pressure really well.

Seems to have good puncture resistance. Certainly better than the Mavics I had before

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here