Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5 players who should be on Chris Hughton’s January wishlist

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's hardly hearsay when it's been reported on the Bradford website and in the Telegraph & Argus and The Yorkshire Post.

It's a fact. He wasn't in the the Bradford team today.

I am struggling to pick five players without seeming as random as the journo.

1. James Meredith
The only one I would include is James Meredith (who is completely unknown) to me. Player might see it as his last opportunity for a higher grade of football? Or he might settle for regular starts at Bradford? I see him as the most likely signing.

2. Stephen Ward If he wanted to move and was available on a free transfer and prepared to sign a two year contract, it could be a goer. I quite like the idea as Ward can pop up with a few goals. I think it is too late now and won't happen.

3. Sébastien Pocognoli I think he turned down the Albion but he still did not make the first team squad for the Baggies against Chelsea. Who will he go to?

Who'd be a journo? Choosing Teixeira, Nicolás Lodeiro, are just stabs in the dark and are not going to happen and might not be a good idea anyway. I really like Williamson (Newcastle on loan to Wolves) but his wages are too high. As Fulham made bid in for Dunk I was surprised as I quite liked the look of Shaun Hutchinson for them. I would not mind Will Buckley back as he still has pace (whether his hamstrings prevent this in training is problematical) and he can shoot and he would enable quick breakways. I think Bridcutt will go to Reading (not Leeds) and I was never a great fan of his, but Rohan Ince has not developed as we had hoped.

We need cover at left back and it needs to be a left footer. Ideally, the player could do a stint on the left side of midfield as well.

Otherwise, we have the ageing Bruno, Greer and Zamora and all three positions will have to be replaced in the near future. Rosenoir can cover at right back. Much like Andy Naylor said at the beginning of the season. So it is obvious.

But most of all I cannot see why Baldock is thought of as impressive. His shooting is not very good, he is not as quick as needed for a second striker even in the Championship, and his other skills are not good enough to compensate.

I think most of all it all depends of how the existing players can improve. I think Dale Stephens is working too hard in midfield. As he is best at shooting, taking set pieces, tackling, he does all the work and needs helping out with a third midfielder?

Even the best teams are always are two players short, but we are three plus cover at left back. I hope we sign two players in January. Ideally a left-sided left wing-back/full back/midfielder, young with a bit of pace, and a second striker. But I have my doubts if either of them will be available better than we have already got!?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's a fact. He wasn't in the the Bradford team today.

Are you a bit slow? I know it's a fact, I'd already said was on the Bradford City website, as well as a reported in their local press. You are the idiot who called it hearsay in your original post.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Are you a bit slow? I know it's a fact, I'd already said was on the Bradford City website, as well as a reported in their local press. You are the idiot who called it hearsay in your original post.

So Lualua is out vs Burnley today definitely!?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So Lualua is out vs Burnley today definitely!?

Who knows, the official site says the Burnley game may come too soon for him. That isn't hearsay either as its a reported fact, just like the stuff about the Bradford player being out. I don't think you actually know what hearsay means.

Hearsay - information received from other people which cannot be substantiated; rumour.

Seeing as the Bradford site reported their player was going to miss out then it's not a rumour and there was some way of substantiating the fact. So not hearsay. Do you understand now?

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Ideally Chelsea call back Bamford and loan him to us, 2nd choice definitely James Wilson, either of them and we will be in the premier league next season

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bridcutt not on the bench for Sunderland tonight (fact*). (*according to the BBC not on the team list).
I'd hate us to sign Bridcutt. Left under too dark a thunder cloud, not many have done that. Took his money and lost focus.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't think Liam Bridcutt is good enough.

Buckley has potential, Still. But there is a big ??? (surmise) over his performances in training (and in games) because of his hamstring problem. Giggs overcame it.

But I excluded both of them on my list of three. I could not think of five.

I think we should keep Forster-Caskey as he is left-footed. Not that he can defend adequately.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Some interesting suggestions.

For me:

LB - preferably Ward

Forward - Bamford or Campbell. Murphy (Ipswich or Wolves forward).

Not sure we need any others really, perhaps cover for Stephens, but realistically in January will you get quality cover?

Probably those I've mentioned forward wise are outside our wages structure.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My five to sign:

Bolanos (striker -Ecuador)
Meredith (left back - Bradford)
Towell (midfield/striker - Dundalk)
Jones (winger - Dagenham)
Freeman (midfield - Bristol City)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here