Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian McDermott

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
2 of them went up, which goes to show my point. They spent big to get out of this league and they will get away with a fine. There will be other clubs who have gambled and we will not know that until later this year. The point is that clubs will not comply, I am not against FFP and I think its good for football. However you are dealing with owners of clubs and the ones with more money want to pump it into the club, so eventually it will be watered down. Last months FFP showed that most of the clubs in this league want to make changes.

ALL proposed changes were voted down!!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Like a lot of clubs are bothered, they do have a good fan base. Pour a lot of money in this season, get the right players in and what will happen. A fine and just maybe a transfer embargo, well if you have the right players in, you could be out of this league in 2 years. FFP will only effect those that comply as give it a few years and it will be watered down. Man City did not suffer to much did they?

Not directly relevant to this thread I know, but I must admit I'm surprised that Sheikh Mansour (or whatever the owner of Man City is called) hasn't taken out a Restraint of Trade action against FFP in the European Court of Justice. If he won, it would shove a spanner through the whole thing. Or (perhaps the NSC lawyers could confirm this), does the ECJ only hold sway against government legislation and not the rules of private organisations such as UEFA? I thought Bosman was a ECJ ruling.

On another note, and fixture me if you will, but I have not seen the interesting or boring fact mentioned that until this one left, both LUFC and Leeds RFC were managed by Brian McDermott. Have the two main sporting clubs in a city ever had the same named manager at the same time before I wonder?

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not directly relevant to this thread I know, but I must admit I'm surprised that Sheikh Mansour (or whatever the owner of Man City is called) hasn't taken out a Restraint of Trade action against FFP in the European Court of Justice. If he won, it would shove a spanner through the whole thing. Or (perhaps the NSC lawyers could confirm this), does the ECJ only hold sway against government legislation and not the rules of private organisations such as UEFA? I thought Bosman was a ECJ ruling.

The Bosman ruling was an ECJ ruling but as it was about freedom of movement for workers it would have been based around more human rights than anything else. FFP is not a human right, unless being allowed to run a business at an unsustainable loss is a human right. As you say a possible Restraint of Trade action could be taken in relation to FFP but as it seeks to stop the stupid amount of debts football club owners are allowed to run up then I can't see how it really can be challenged. No other business type would be allowed to constantly run at the losses that football clubs do and be allowed to write it off and start again.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The Bosman ruling was an ECJ ruling but as it was about freedom of movement for workers it would have been based around more human rights than anything else. FFP is not a human right, unless being allowed to run a business at an unsustainable loss is a human right. As you say a possible Restraint of Trade action could be taken in relation to FFP but as it seeks to stop the stupid amount of debts football club owners are allowed to run up then I can't see how it really can be challenged. No other business type would be allowed to constantly run at the losses that football clubs do and be allowed to write it off and start again.

Calling a spade a spade, owning a football club is a highly effective money laundering opportunity. How many owners of top clubs actually GAF about football ???

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
ALL proposed changes were voted down!!

Why are you telling me something I already know, my point was that it appears 2 thirds of the teams in this league want to make Changes to FFP, you and I can spout all day long about making sure teams comply with FFP, however as it seems a lot of clubs are not completely behind it, it will eventually fail or not have backing to make sure teams comply. Man C have made FIFA look silly a few weeks back.
FFP will be tested before the coming season is out, and it's how the league deal with them teams and if any team makes a challenge through the court, that's when we will all find out. IMO it will not work in its present form

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why are you telling me something I already know, my point was that it appears 2 thirds of the teams in this league want to make Changes to FFP, you and I can spout all day long about making sure teams comply with FFP, however as it seems a lot of clubs are not completely behind it, it will eventually fail or not have backing to make sure teams comply. Man C have made FIFA look silly a few weeks back.
FFP will be tested before the coming season is out, and it's how the league deal with them teams and if any team makes a challenge through the court, that's when we will all find out. IMO it will not work in its present form

I could remind you that the FL club's voted FFP in, but then you already know that!

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I could remind you that the FL club's voted FFP in, but then you already know that!

Like I said, wait until December and watch clubs challenge FFP, it will happen, and how the football league respond to clubs who overspend.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

I love the term "them teams". Are you Glenn Hoddle?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here