Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant meals are higher calories than fast food outlets

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The findings have to be viewed in context of the type of food being offered at the ‘restaurants’ which where all chains with 50 or more outlets. Doubt many of the main meals on offer were particularly healthy. Size portions would probably be more than takeaways. Looks like a survey commissioned by McDonalds.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'd be very disappointed in a restaurant meal that only had 1000 calories...and the 'health experts' that say meals should be below 600 calories.......on what grounds ? Depends on the rest of your daily intake, and what you're burning off. Really simple equation (for the majority - certain illnesses/conditions excepted) is calories in vs calories out to gain/lose weight.

Meanwhile, north of the border.........

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7895077/scottish-chip-shop-battered-christmas-dinner/

Spot on.

Most diet related articles are absolute bollocks, written by journalists who don't have a clue about nutrition, who are looking for an easy headline.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All they need is to make restaurants include the calorie count on the menus, so we can make more informed decisions.

Who the hell goes into a restaurant and calorie counts? I do not eat out so I can spend a couple of hours mithering.

Eat a balanced diet and exercise. It’s this simple.

Lush

Mods' Pet

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 13.58.26.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 13.58.26.png
    332.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 13.59.38.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 13.59.38.png
    326.6 KB · Views: 155

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who the hell goes into a restaurant and calorie counts?
I do.
I do not eat out so I can spend a couple of hours mithering.
I don't mither, I just choose something that works with my diet.

Eat a balanced diet and exercise. It’s this simple.
I already do that. For me it would just be helpful to know what I'm eating. For overweight people it would help them make informed decisions and perhaps help with their health.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wouldn't want something that makes running a small business too difficult. But implementing something that's workable would be good.
Nonsense. This would be a boon for the corporates, and imperil the independents and, in particular, the best of them that do things like re-write menus on a daily basis according to what's the best value and quality produce that's available.
Please keep up at the back.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In 'Kitchen Confidential', chef Anthony Bourdain pointed out that restaurants want you to love their food so that you enjoy yourself and will tip well and come back again*. They don't care whether you eat healthily or not. So they go large on butter, oil, cream, salt and other tasty but unhealthy additives.

*Until you die of a heart attack, obviously.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I have to say I'm very encouraged by the majority of NSC's responses. The restaurant's cited in the study aren't exactly gourmet either , and the calories are likely to be amplified by the amount of chips and deep fried delights these places offer.

Making informed choices is one thing, but if you want to lose weight then lay off the profiteroles porky, or if you're unsure, a decent waiter will be able to help out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if you're unsure, a decent waiter will be able to help out.
So it's impossible for the restaurant to give any sort of guide on how many calories are in the meal, but the waiter can tell you?

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'd be very disappointed in a restaurant meal that only had 1000 calories...and the 'health experts' that say meals should be below 600 calories.......on what grounds ? Depends on the rest of your daily intake, and what you're burning off. Really simple equation (for the majority - certain illnesses/conditions excepted) is calories in vs calories out to gain/lose weight.

Meanwhile, north of the border.........

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7895077/scottish-chip-shop-battered-christmas-dinner/

Unfortunately it's not this simple, all calories aren't equal -

https://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

Secondly calorie in vs out isn't that simple either -

Lets say you diet with a 1750 in - 2000 out = -250

If you have a calorie deficit, your body sees that as a risk to life and goes into "energy saving" mode. Suddenly your 2000 calories/day burned become 1500. Now your balance is this -

1750in - 1500 out = 250 gain!

Obviously lots of other factors in play.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie
https://www.transparentlabs.com/blogs/all/everything-you-need-to-know-about-thermogenesis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC524030/

TL;LR -

Calories are a far too simplistic look at diet, there are far bigger issues causing our obesity epidemic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do.
I don't mither, I just choose something that works with my diet.

I already do that. For me it would just be helpful to know what I'm eating. For overweight people it would help them make informed decisions and perhaps help with their health.

But you can make informed decisions, Poached eggs and salmon over a full English. Fish over meat. Go for sushi instead of a curry. A half of craft beer over 15 pints of Stella. Etc etc.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Doubt any sit down can beat this gem from over the wall 'Britain's unhealthiest takeaway' is 7,000 calorie box of fried treats and bottle of Irn-Bru - for under £10

Add some doorstop white bread, and I might just make me some sandwiches outta that little lot.....

Oh & Mayo....

Attachments

• 0_PAY-5000_Calorie_Box_1_TRIANGLENEWSJPG.jpg
    0_PAY-5000_Calorie_Box_1_TRIANGLENEWSJPG.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 113

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unfortunately it's not this simple, all calories aren't equal
This bit is true, all calories are not equal.

Secondly calorie in vs out isn't that simple either
Yes it is.

Lets say you diet with a 1750 in - 2000 out = -250

If you have a calorie deficit, your body sees that as a risk to life and goes into "energy saving" mode.
That is incorrect. Any article suggesting that you go into 'starvation mode' when you've got a bit of a calorie deficit is talking absolute shit. I'm not guessing. When you lose weight, yes your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) will go down a bit, so in order to keep losing weight you may need to then drop the calories further, but if you're TDEE is 2000 (with your diet - ie, what form those calories take), and you consume 1750, then you will lose weight, and continue losing weight until you are light enough for you new TDEE to be 1750.

Calories are a far too simplistic look at diet
A bit of common sense along with learning a bit about how many calories you're eating is all you really need.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not at the back, if anyone is you are for posting irreconcilable points
I didn't. We already have laws that apply differently to large companies than small businesses. It's not beyond the wit of man to require a chain of restaurants, with a fixed menu, to have stricter rules on declaring the calories in food, than a small business with a menu which regularly changes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here