Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] I Tunes

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I can say there is no legal means by which you have done this.

Music on a CD is held in a completely different way to it is in any "mp3 player"... these devices hold digitally compressed versions of what is on a CD.

To copy from iTunes you would have to both uncompress and convert the digital file into a different, larger digital file. Both the conversion and decompression would be a breach of your agreement with Apple.

I'm not saying it can't be done... just that it can't be done legally.

You can literally burn itunes purchases to a cd THROUGH itunes

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Where to start..?

When you buy a track or album from Apple you are actually, in effect, leasing it from them. There is no product you own. You cannot give it, donate it or otherwise transfer it to someone else. It is a licence to listen to that piece of music but no other rights usually associated with "ownership".

iTunes can read mp3 format music and add it to your library. However, music "purchased" from Apple is held in their own proprietary format and not as mp3 - meaning you cannot play Apple-sourced music on anything but Apple hardware.

If you are trying to copy "music" from your iTunes directory to a CD then it just will not work... you are not copying anything that will play in any CD player.

On top of these there are numerous reasons why her "mp3 player" won't read an SD card which is formatted on a different device. Are the two devices even using the same operating system?

There is a huge long list of why you just can't do what you are trying to do![/QUOTE]

When has that ever stopped him :moo:

Unusually helpful from you to OP. Top work :kiss::thumbsup::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Moved on from Network Adaptors and Windows 7 now trying to put Now 100 on grandaughters MP3

Bought the album and put in a playlist. Then click on playlist right click copy and paste to sd card which shows the records etc on the card but when put in MP3 granddaughter says they are not on it so tried to burn to cd under File but shows for 15 mins 'Checking Media' what am I doing wrong please?

And the rest!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All sorted bu t sons came around and said that I shouldnt use I Tunes to download music but use Spotify, I have never heard of that. All this modern technology:shrug:

That a great shame for some of the internet warriors, they will be sad to hear this

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
All sorted bu t sons came around and said that I shouldnt use I Tunes to download music but use Spotify, I have never heard of that. All this modern technology:shrug:

Spotify is a subscription streaming music service, costs £10 a month. I don’t think their free accounts allow you to download for offline listening, and even then you’ll need to install the app to do so which will limit the devices you can actually download to. Smart phone, iPads etc will be ok, generic MP3 players won’t have the app available.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From what I can read of spotify you can get a 30 day free trial of Premium which you apparently need to download songs. My thinking is that I could take out this free trial downl;oad the songs etc during this time and then cancel the monthly payments. Not sure if that will work.but worth a try.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
From what I can read of spotify you can get a 30 day free trial of Premium which you apparently need to download songs. My thinking is that I could take out this free trial downl;oad the songs etc during this time and then cancel the monthly payments. Not sure if that will work.but worth a try.

It won’t work, well it will for the 30 day trial but after it expires you’ll have no access to the downloaded files as they are embedded within the app, you don’t actually have physical files downloaded to the device.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Moved on from Network Adaptors and Windows 7 now trying to put Now 100 on grandaughters MP3

Bought the album and put in a playlist. Then click on playlist right click copy and paste to sd card which shows the records etc on the card but when put in MP3 granddaughter says they are not on it so tried to burn to cd under File but shows for 15 mins 'Checking Media' what am I doing wrong please?

So, this thread is about getting advice about how to copy music purchased and downloaded from iTunes onto an MP3 player?

You got given an easy and straightforward way to do this

You then deflect into a statement about the best source to use to download music?

So, how did you sort it?

You haven't replied to this question

It won’t work, well it will for the 30 day trial but after it expires you’ll have no access to the downloaded files as they are embedded within the app, you don’t actually have physical files downloaded to the device.

You have been told that Spotify is not the best source to use to (permanently) keep music you have downloaded - but what has this got to do with 'how do I copy music that I have bought onto an MP3 player'?

Not for the first time, I am baffled
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :ffsparr:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
So, this thread is about getting advice about how to copy music purchased and downloaded from iTunes onto an MP3 player?

You got given an easy and straightforward way to do this

You then deflect into a statement about the best source to use to download music?

You haven't replied to this question

You have been told that Spotify is not the best source to use to (permanently) keep music you have downloaded - but what has this got to do with 'how do I copy music that I have bought onto an MP3 player'?

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :ffsparr:

Sooner or later you will see your error :moo:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :ffsparr:[/QUOTE]

I copied it to a usb stick then copied the usb stick via a laptop that didnt have I tunes installed on it. Spotify is just a possible alternative to download and keep music but needs Premium to do it. So I may take out the 30 day free trial Premium then download the music during this time and then cancel the subscription after 29 days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here