Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Congrats on a great run. Not sure about you but the highlight of VLM for me is always the gentle rise up on to Tower Bridge - you just get hit by a massive wall of noise as it flattens out with huge crowds both sides. Fantastic. Always makes me well up.........

I loved the pouches they used at Brighton a couple of years ago - best of both worlds. Quite small so not much wastage, no trip hazard as they flattened, and very easy to carry between stations as they mould to the shape of your hand. I don't like cups much as I like to be able to carry water,, particularly later on and at least the bottles they use at VLM are small and could be carried - runners should do this from station to station rather than lob them in the gutter. The large bottles lucozade or gatorade (powerade at Edinburgh) are the worst of all - people drink hardly anything out of them and then chuck them

The guy dying is hugely sad but statistically bound to happen every so often. I tend to try to think about how many of the field avoided having heart issues, or at least lessened their risk, by taking up running. Loads of people not running a marathon on Sunday had heart attacks too.

The Abbot(?) roundabout was noisy, as was The City/Canary Wharf, which I remember being dead quite years ago.

Anyway, I think I've almost certainly got a place for next year and I'm already thinking about a sub-4 London. Like I said, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], you've got to have a bit of wiggle room in what you write ;)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Abbot(?) roundabout was noisy, as was The City/Canary Wharf, which I remember being dead quite years ago.

Anyway, I think I've almost certainly got a place for next year and I'm already thinking about a sub-4 London. Like I said, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], you've got to have a bit of wiggle room in what you write ;)

Yeah the Wharf gets completely mobbed now - several years ago I was plodding along with a guy who had done all the London marathons and he was saying how in the first one the whole Isle of Dogs area was basically deserted, with mostly derelict buildings from what he could remember - running along in silence field was relatively tiny as well back then). It's a great place for spectators now - good transport, loads of viewing points and plenty of cafes etc there

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First run since the BM at 6:30 AM Mexican time. 28 degrees even then so just a light 5k jog in just over 22 minutes.

Good to get moving again but can feel my groin and right calf so will rest up tomorrow before extending to 5 miles Friday.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
First run since the BM at 6:30 AM Mexican time. 28 degrees even then so just a light 5k jog in just over 22 minutes.

Good to get moving again but can feel my groin and right calf so will rest up tomorrow before extending to 5 miles Friday.

Get a cold beer, lie down and chill. I don't think anyone would argue you've earned some r and r. Enjoy

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Can I make an early booking on the train? Sub 4 will be fantastic. I'm going for the Martlets Hospice fundraising, as I've said, they have had 6 people I know through their doors and need the dosh. They wanted me to tell them how I would raise the £1,500 and I nearly told them I was planning a heart attack at mile 19........
So no Brighton next year and have kept that promise to Mrs K.
Looking forward to returning to just over the river from where I lived from 1980 to 2000 (SE1 and SE15). The Elephant and Norf Peckham.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can I make an early booking on the train? Sub 4 will be fantastic. I'm going for the Martlets Hospice fundraising, as I've said, they have had 6 people I know through their doors and need the dosh. They wanted me to tell them how I would raise the £1,500 and I nearly told them I was planning a heart attack at mile 19........
So no Brighton next year and have kept that promise to Mrs K.
Looking forward to returning to just over the river from where I lived from 1980 to 2000 (SE1 and SE15). The Elephant and Norf Peckham.

I might be repeating myself, but it's an AMAZING day – I was blown away with the crowds, the support, even the route - passing some great landmarks. Again, I never got why SO many people wanted to run London rather than anywhere else, but now I totally do... Like [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] said, not my favourite race, but probably my favourite event.

So yeah, let's get the 3:59 train from Greenwich up and running. It's in for a minor service and some upgrades over the next few months, but some lightweighting and some strengthening should help, come next April.

Deffo no Brighton though - doing both is/was just crazy!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I might be repeating myself, but it's an AMAZING day – I was blown away with the crowds, the support, even the route - passing some great landmarks. Again, I never got why SO many people wanted to run London rather than anywhere else, but now I totally do... Like [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] said, not my favourite race, but probably my favourite event.

So yeah, let's get the 3:59 train from Greenwich up and running. It's in for a minor service and some upgrades over the next few months, but some lightweighting and some strengthening should help, come next April.

:lolol:
Got my strengthening planned. 4 weeks trekking in Nepal's Annapurna Mountains in December. They need tourists to return post earthquake. Doing the Circuit, Base Camp and a couple of side trips to Lake Tilicho, Ice Lake and Ghorka. Will be a low alcohol month too.

Get this Three Forts jog out the way on Sunday, Promotion sorted the following week and soon time for this NSC Phoenix 10k preparation.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I have just booked to do the Windsor Half Marathon.:mad: Never ran in an official event, always just been for pleasure and have never run for more than 10k, so this will be a challenge.

Loving the stories on this thread and now feel inspired to push myself further and just go for it!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

So is this going to end up with just me running Brighton 2017 while you lot all bugger off to London. Oh well plenty of flag wavers then��

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So is this going to end up with just me running Brighton 2017 while you lot all bugger off to London. Oh well plenty of flag wavers then��

No I'm back in for sure. I have unfinished business with that course!! I wonder if we could persuade [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] too - though I will be starting slower than him this time :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Meanwhile I got back to semi-normal today with an early morning five mile jog and pain in ,my calves afterwards. Really should get round to ordering those compression socks. Next up, assuming the calf pain rolls out, is an hour long plod at the weekend and then back to see my hill next week, hopefully sans adders.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No I'm back in for sure. I have unfinished business with that course!! I wonder if we could persuade [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] too - though I will be starting slower than him this time :)

LOL - I did tell you pretty early on you were 8 min miling [emoji3]. I entered at the Expo for next year (as usual) so I'll be there. If I can get a London place I'll do that as well - quiet enjoyed doing both a couple of years ago, my times were only 3 mins apart (very different races though - Brighton was relaxed and conservative, VLM I *****d up by running the first half too fast - didn't look at my watch, ran to 'feel', saw a pacer up ahead just after halfway thinking it was the 3.45 lot but it was 3.30. Turned to crap very soon after......). Ended up with 3.50 & 3.53 I think.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I'm going to try for London next year. Very unlikely I'll get a place at the first attempt but I've already got my place for brighton if unsuccessful and there's no way my knees would allow me to do both.
Took in a few more hills tonight in preparation for Sunday. I only looked at the course last night, it's ****ing brutal. The hills make Hastings look like a speed bump. I'm still half tempted to join dazzer6666 and Knocky1 on the full marathon but I'm going to play it safe and stick to the half. Hopefully see you both beforehand

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nah, there will still be more doing Brighton. I think I'll be on holiday though so no flag action from me, I'm afraid.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm going to try for London next year. Very unlikely I'll get a place at the first attempt but I've already got my place for brighton if unsuccessful and there's no way my knees would allow me to do both.
Took in a few more hills tonight in preparation for Sunday. I only looked at the course last night, it's ****ing brutal. The hills make Hastings look like a speed bump. I'm still half tempted to join dazzer6666 and Knocky1 on the full marathon but I'm going to play it safe and stick to the half. Hopefully see you both beforehand

I reckon the ballot for VLM is about a 15 or 20/1 shot......

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I would rather do a slow 27 miles on hills than race a half marathon on hills. My only objective is to finish and get the 5 completed marathons against my rival's 7. You may as well do the same. Cake, jelly babies etc. We'll easily get our entrance fee back based on Hove cafe prices. See you there for sure.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Any runners fancy a run around Middlesbrough early next Saturday morning?

I'm fat and slow and I've never run a single stride with anyone else, in an event or otherwise, but it feels like a nice way to start the day to get out early. A quick (well, slow) 5-6 miles, taking in the Riverside obvs.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I'm fat and slow and I've never run a single stride with anyone else, in an event or otherwise, but it feels like a nice way to start the day to get out early. A quick (well, slow) 5-6 miles, taking in the Riverside obvs.

I don't get to Boro until after 11am. Planning a similar distance myself through York Friday afternoon around 2pm.

Maybe check out if there is a Park Run close to your accommodation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I also get there at 11 and will probably have "run" through several cans of death by then. Arf arf.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Certainly. I will carry your water and any food you want. I will act as a windbreak. I will run wherever you want. I will even be a Tory for the morning.
One proviso can you get me a ticket?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here