Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I like the social side of Cycling more than the challange at the moment, I have borrowed a bike so its quite an investment for me to get something of the same level.

What other big events are there around the south?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I like the social side of Cycling more than the challange at the moment, I have borrowed a bike so its quite an investment for me to get something of the same level.

What other big events are there around the south?

What about joining a cycling club if it’s the social side you like.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Ooh, a troll! We haven't had one of them for a while.

Clearly someone who doesn’t live around wisborough green, loxwood , ifold , Plaistow and many more where people were going to be stuck in there homes for around 6 hours , not including many old people that were having to b moved into care homes or family homes outside zone that rely on Home help , my own business of private hire was also effected getting to and from airports easily with people having booked there holidays year in advance . I could go on but you want to call me a troll well u carry on
Just an idea but why can’t u just go round the race track at goodwood ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Wisborough Green without all the traffic piling through it, I doubt there would be a much better place in Sussex to be, on a Sunday.

Wizzy is an amazing village to live in ,but this is more about common sense lack of communication about this race outside of the cycling community . As the local taxi driver around here I’ve yet to meet one single person that was in favour of this that in some way was disruptive to there normal day . Bearing in mind that EVERY weekend you get cyclists on these roads anyway always bunched up never considerate to any drivers , tail back of cars behind most groups as we bow to there selfishness

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Wizzy is an amazing village to live in ,but this is more about common sense lack of communication about this race outside of the cycling community . As the local taxi driver around here I’ve yet to meet one single person that was in favour of this that in some way was disruptive to there normal day . Bearing in mind that EVERY weekend you get cyclists on these roads anyway always bunched up never considerate to any drivers , tail back of cars behind most groups as we bow to there selfishness

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........................................

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Shirley your issue is with WSCC and your local representative.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Clearly someone who doesn’t live around wisborough green, loxwood , ifold , Plaistow and many more where people were going to be stuck in there homes for around 6 hours , not including many old people that were having to b moved into care homes or family homes outside zone that rely on Home help , my own business of private hire was also effected getting to and from airports easily with people having booked there holidays year in advance . I could go on but you want to call me a troll well u carry on
Just an idea but why can’t u just go round the race track at goodwood ?

It's not actually the cyclists fault when you think about it, hence the replies to you.

This is a business that has applied to the local authorities and paid for license and approval to hold an event. Cyclists have had no input into this either, as well as local residents. All we've had is marketing and an extortionate fee to enter.

I have happily raced around Goodwood as it happens, and happily frequent as quieter Sussex and Hampshire roads as I can.

What do you think people do in places like Glastonbury or Silverstone when the entire place shuts down for an event? 6 hours on a Sunday morning was hardly the coming of the apocalypse, it almost reminds me of the vigilante neighbourhood watch group in Hot Fuzz.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
The Birmingham Velo faced similar opposition last year. Impacted locals ultimately managed to cope. If their road faced closure and they needed to use their car, the simple solution was to park it around the corner for one night. The event was generally a huge success apart from the tacks on the road and the overcrowding at feed/drink stations. Villagers turned out in their thousands, pubs on the route enjoyed increased trade and front garden parties were numerous. I’ll never forget the reception that the huge crowds in Bewdley gave to the cyclists. E47744E5-5850-4657-BFE3-D21589D37DB8.jpeg

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
It's not actually the cyclists fault when you think about it, hence the replies to you.

This is a business that has applied to the local authorities and paid for license and approval to hold an event. Cyclists have had no input into this either, as well as local residents. All we've had is marketing and an extortionate fee to enter.

I have happily raced around Goodwood as it happens, and happily frequent as quieter Sussex and Hampshire roads as I can.

What do you think people do in places like Glastonbury or Silverstone when the entire place shuts down for an event? 6 hours on a Sunday morning was hardly the coming of the apocalypse, it almost reminds me of the vigilante neighbourhood watch group in Hot Fuzz.

I don’t have any issues with people wishing to cycle I gave my own ( fat git)that I am should use more . Firstly wisborough and the surrounding areas has not staged an event like this before so it’s not as though people have had to get used to it . Secondly as stated before majority of local people had no idea this was planned a little more communication would of helped .its funny how a lot of local roads around here in desperate need of repair have suddenly been repaired on the route only lol. These roads may seem quiet to you but it was not just a Sunday morning loxwood , ifold to name two were totally shut from 08.00am until 3.15pm with ifold No entry or exit for over 6 hours .

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I don’t have any issues with people wishing to cycle I gave my own ( fat git)that I am should use more . Firstly wisborough and the surrounding areas has not staged an event like this before so it’s not as though people have had to get used to it . Secondly as stated before majority of local people had no idea this was planned a little more communication would of helped .its funny how a lot of local roads around here in desperate need of repair have suddenly been repaired on the route only lol. These roads may seem quiet to you but it was not just a Sunday morning loxwood , ifold to name two were totally shut from 08.00am until 3.15pm with ifold No entry or exit for over 6 hours .

There you go a positive, the roads have been repaired. Thanks for the heads up.some lovely quite roads to ride up your way.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
There you go a positive, the roads have been repaired. Thanks for the heads up.some lovely quite roads to ride up your way.

Only on the z route though many more that need it oh well feel free to cycle up around here anytime . Watch out for pissed off taxi driver though wife Hates them much more than me lol

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It does sound like from what I have read that the communication has been poor. In contrast the London to Brighton ride which closes many roads from London through Sussex has an extensive 'Community Guide' pack, info on timings, maps, website, hotline etc.

You did open with a bit of a gloat though, it is not the fault of the riders who have paid good money, been training and looking forward to the event, that the organisers haven't engaged the communities as much as they should have, and they're the ones who miss out. I do want to see lots of old people being ferried about Sunday morning though on the route. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I believe many complaints were sent as well as threatening court proceedings but believe Velo and the council used public money to hire there own

Doesn't explain why you decided to suddenly appear on this thread like the palace fans that turn up on NSC only after they've won and the Albion have lost

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why bother starting another thread ?

Yeah you seem to be writing as if this event was worthy of it's own thread, all those months ago?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here