Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New iPhones - 2018 edition

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So pleased my Experia still runs like a dream!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Why is it always Samsung v Apple in these discussions?

Samsung do the marketing and make great phones, like Apple. So people tend to presume that with top of the range phones, they're the only option.

But when I did the research on my last upgrade I found out that (at the time) the best Android phone on the market was the One Plus 5t.

In comparison to the iPhone X it came out basically even. Better on speed, battery life, worse on camera software. Everything else pretty much the same.

But it cost £550 instead of £1100.

It's by far the best phone I've ever used and I love it.

Incidentally, I was in the pub the other night and a young bloke at the bar said " Nice phone, how are you finding the S9 mate?".

Samsung and Apple make the best phones, so naturally they are always compared to each other.
Google is fighting for a top spot.

Then comes the rest; LG, Huawei, OnePlus etc.

The OnePlus look to offer the best value for money higher spec phone. But lag behind in a couple of major aspects which keep them in the mid to high range bracket. Obviously due to keeping costs down to appeal to a wider audience.
Still a great phone though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just bought a brand new iPhone X for £700 off the back of this latest event. Anyone got any ideas what the latest one brings or is it an ‘S’ version? [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

Here's hoping that £700 buys you a considerable amount of happiness !

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Samsung and Apple make the best phones, so naturally they are always compared to each other.
Google is fighting for a top spot.

Then comes the rest; LG, Huawei, OnePlus etc.

The OnePlus look to offer the best value for money higher spec phone. But lag behind in a couple of major aspects which keep them in the mid to high range bracket. Obviously due to keeping costs down to appeal to a wider audience.
Still a great phone though.
Yeah good point. It's about flagship stuff.

But the One Plus I have is MUCH better than any Samsung phone I've ever had before. And much better than my wife's S8 which is the comparable phone.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yeah good point. It's about flagship stuff.

But the One Plus I have is MUCH better than any Samsung phone I've ever had before. And much better than my wife's S8 which is the comparable phone.

The OnePlus was definitely under consideration for me when choosing to go Android. However the only reason I went for the S9+ was to have the best camera on the market. If it wasn't for that, I'd have gone for the 5T.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
The OnePlus was definitely under consideration for me when choosing to go Android. However the only reason I went for the S9+ was to have the best camera on the market. If it wasn't for that, I'd have gone for the 5T.

I went with the Google Pixel 2 after an iPhone. Best phone I've ever had, Android with no bloatware - I don't even mind the much maligned bevels. I went for it as it does have the best camera/camera software on the market, bar none.
9c0b80ea94004e1b88eb7e9ba3a8fe97.jpg

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I went with the Google Pixel 2 after an iPhone. Best phone I've ever had, Android with no bloatware - I don't even mind the much maligned bevels. I went for it as it does have the best camera/camera software on the market, bar none.
9c0b80ea94004e1b88eb7e9ba3a8fe97.jpg

That was under consideration too, but the camera finished 2nd by a hair.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
In 1998, when I moved to the US, I bought a Blackberry and got a contract with AT&T here with a $65 unlimited worldwide data plan. As long as I keep using a Blackberry they cant take the plan away. I buy my phones direct from Blackberry so I don't touch the original contract. Their new offerings are pretty good.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just got a ZX2 compact. It's ACE

Currently on a Z5 Compact, previously a Z3 compact.

Great camera, and it fits in my running shorts.

Waiting to see if they do a compact version of the next model

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Currently on a Z5 Compact, previously a Z3 compact.

Great camera, and it fits in my running shorts.

Waiting to see if they do a compact version of the next model

Yep...I've just upgraded from Z5 compact to XZ2 compact....great battery life for those mandatory kit days (unlike an Iphone which will die before the first aid station) :D

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
In 1998, when I moved to the US, I bought a Blackberry and got a contract with AT&T here with a $65 unlimited worldwide data plan. As long as I keep using a Blackberry they cant take the plan away. I buy my phones direct from Blackberry so I don't touch the original contract. Their new offerings are pretty good.

How do AT&T know you're using a BlackBerry?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In other news, I finally succumbed to a new MacBook Pro on Saturday. £1749 (plus 5p for the plastic bag). worth of gorgeousness.

Imagine my horror, yesterday, when the meeting I was having moved from the Royal Festival Hall across the way to Le Pain Quotidien and I noticed the back of my leg was wet and, looking down, to see that Diet Coke was pouring out of my messenger bag. The messenger bag that contained a nearly full bottle of Diet Coke and my new MacBook Pro. The laptop seemed to survive, which is quite something given it was sitting in a puddle of liquid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here