Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] VPN is it beneficial

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hold down shift and the power button

Will that not turn off the pc buit thanks I will try that when a game is on stream tomorrow..

PS as I thought it turned the laptop off but will it restart without background programs runing when I restart it.

Last edited:

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Interested in a vpn service as I live in France and can not get on iPlayer, 5 football live game sound and even my Tesco club card! Can see games via SFR but would like English radio live game commentary which is blocked, bit scared of giving card information, any advice please-(someone has said they can set me up for 200€)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Interested in a vpn service as I live in France and can not get on iPlayer, 5 football live game sound and even my Tesco club card! Can see games via SFR but would like English radio live game commentary which is blocked, bit scared of giving card information, any advice please-(someone has said they can set me up for 200€)

I don’t think you’ll get BBC Sussex commentary on any online system, VPN or not. But for Five Live, iPlaye r etc then My Private Network (MPN) works for me and will probably do it for you, not expensive either.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

Hola Premium (not the free one) works for me in Spain. Think it's £36 a year and allows, at the moment , all the catch ups needed. For general TV viewing, all the ITV/BBC/Channel 4 & 5 etc. have a look at TV Mucho. A full HD system on your laptop and connect via HDMI lead. This 8 euros a month or 48 for a year.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just keep in mind a lot of the Broadcasters are catching on to this and monitoring the IP ranges VPN services use and blocking them. Sky are pretty hot on it

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just keep in mind a lot of the Broadcasters are catching on to this and monitoring the IP ranges VPN services use and blocking them. Sky are pretty hot on it

I am in France at the moment, we have someone local who sets up a VPN for radio, i player, NOW TV, Virgin remote (for SKY) and BT online. Unfortunately we are at the stage where it has to be reset every time we use it as all the above seem to block the content pretty quickly.

NFL game pass works okay as does Seagulls Player, so the last year we tend to just listen to the BBC local commentary. The licenses are a pain as I would happily pay to watch this stuff via a French service.

Had the all time low this week, NO Test Match Special, sun was out, would have been perfect listening.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I know someone in Austria who uses ExpressVPN. He has it installed on his router, rather than on each device. By all accounts it works well, other than when using SkyGo. Not too expensive either.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

No one has more to lose than the BBC, and they are still only playing catch up with the VPN services. My provider (Nord) has hundreds of servers in the UK, when the Beeb finds and blocks one it is replaced, that simple.

$99 US for three years for me, price right now is just marginally higher. Reccomended.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
A reminder that Firefox has a free built in VPN called Hoxx. Although I'm in the UK it works for me for US services.
I'm surprised about TMS not being available as I thought it was a world wide thing.

Also I've mentioned this a lot, Slingbox. Install a box in someones house and watch all UK terrestrial TV around the world.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
I am in France at the moment, we have someone local who sets up a VPN for radio, i player, NOW TV, Virgin remote (for SKY) and BT online. Unfortunately we are at the stage where it has to be reset every time we use it as all the above seem to block the content pretty quickly.

NFL game pass works okay as does Seagulls Player, so the last year we tend to just listen to the BBC local commentary. The licenses are a pain as I would happily pay to watch this stuff via a French service.

Had the all time low this week, NO Test Match Special, sun was out, would have been perfect listening.

SFR do all the top football games as part of my TV / internet package, my wife in particular would like iplayer, and I would like access to some blocked English sites like Tesco! (i'm in '47')

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
SFR do all the top football games as part of my TV / internet package, my wife in particular would like iplayer, and I would like access to some blocked English sites like Tesco! (i'm in '47')

We are Sarthe 72 - you must be around Montauban

The person who does the VPN here said its not really against overseas users its against the spike in GB users

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No one has more to lose than the BBC, and they are still only playing catch up with the VPN services. My provider (Nord) has hundreds of servers in the UK, when the Beeb finds and blocks one it is replaced, that simple.

$99 US for three years for me, price right now is just marginally higher. Reccomended.

Another vote for Nord VPN. I have watched stuff on iPlayer and listened to UK radio when in Greece.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I know someone in Austria who uses ExpressVPN. He has it installed on his router, rather than on each device. By all accounts it works well, other than when using SkyGo. Not too expensive either.

This is what I got and it's been fine. Was able to get NSC Gold (a small fee) and can watch the footy in HD on my bluetooth streaming from my laptop, 3pm KOs, no freeze or lag.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I always tell my gf if she has VPN as she doesn’t like the comments she sometimes gets if she has.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton

Sky have now opened up Sky Go throughout Europe. I spend a lot of time down in CZ and can confirm it works perfectly.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
This is what I got and it's been fine. Was able to get NSC Gold (a small fee) and can watch the footy in HD on my bluetooth streaming from my laptop, 3pm KOs, no freeze or lag.

Was looking into subscribing to NBC sports gold and the premier pass. However reading their blurb, they only say each team will be shown a minimum of 4 times in the season. Does this relate to NBC sports gold only and can I get all games with the Premier pass.

edit: extract from their website:

This season's Premier League Pass guarantees 150 live Premier League matches (with at least four matches per Premier League club) and an unprecedented suite of shoulder programming. Both passes are powered by Playmaker Media, and will stream coverage live and on-demand via desktop, mobile, tablets, and connected TV devices. Click here for more information about the content included in the robust "Premier League Pass" available to purchase now.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Was looking into subscribing to NBC sports gold and the premier pass. However reading their blurb, they only say each team will be shown a minimum of 4 times in the season. Does this relate to NBC sports gold only and can I get all games with the Premier pass.

This season's Premier League Pass guarantees 150 live Premier League matches (with at least four matches per Premier League club) and an unprecedented suite of shoulder programming. Both passes are powered by Playmaker Media, and will stream coverage live and on-demand via desktop, mobile, tablets, and connected TV devices. Click here for more information about the content included in the robust "Premier League Pass" available to purchase now.
For 3pm Saturday games it will almost certainly show it. For Sunday games and late kick offs it will almost certainly not show it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

This might be a better option for you if you're able to download the App in the UK and also watch via a VPN ; https://sport.optus.com.au/
Optus in Australia show ALL 380 PL matches 'live' as well as all the Champion League games.
Post-match, 2 minute highlights are shown plus 280 of the games are shown as full replays On Demand and also in 24-minute 'Mini-Match' form.
$15 per month (£8.35), you can watch on Laptop, Tablet or PC via the website or via your Phone.

Capture 38.PNG

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Yes. Virgin are blocking the majority of my streams, so I run Opera VPN and all good, including Mobdro. The reason for this is because they think you are connecting to a vpn site and know nothing about the streaming.

You should find that Opera VPN has now stopped working after the agreement with the VPN company came to an end mine just came up with "there has been a problem" so have had to go back to Opera Browser on my laptop and VPN on that if using a mobile then Opera Mini (another opera browser) is also useful as it routes through Canada and not the UK.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I've managed to get the away Brighton matches so far, but yes I read the restriction, that's when I'll go to an Asian VPN and see what's available streaming.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here