Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fifty years a Seagull

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Although not until February next year, this season will see my 45th anniversary. As somebody once sang, We've come a long long way together.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Later on this month, it will be 50 years since my first Albion game. I've written a few words about it.

https://piespintsandprogrammes.wordpress.com/

Lovely words Hiney! and congrats on the landmark.

My dad passed the half century a couple of years ago and the club (once notified) really went above and beyond with a programme mention, signed card and scarf. Hopefully, something similar is already arranged!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Good stuff, I am with you started sometime in 68 when we had Blue shirts with white sleeves. Was annoyed when we went to the new fangled stripes, yes I know now!

I'm still annoyed! :) I still consider the solid blue shirts with white sleeves to be the 'proper' Albion kit. Yes, yes yes, I know, I know.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
40 years for me in February this year. I was a late starter though. 13 years old. Dad needed something to do with us on his allotted weekend- first and last game he ever took me to. But I was hooked.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thanks [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] a great read, brings back similar memories of when my dad started taking me to watch the Albion , way back in 1976.

Don't you just hate JCL's :lolol:

1968 seems to have been a good year, my first season also, but not with my dad (in Singapore with the Royal Marines) but with a neighbour and his son

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
When was the Wisbech FA Cup thrashing, anyone ? 10 - 0 I think ? .

10-1 #PowneyOUT

Page 01.jpg

tonytowner

Apr 12, 2010
Great post Hiney & congratulations on 50 years well spent.

My 50th comes up on the 15th August 2020. It was again against Torquay but not as exciting as your first match 0-0.

Like you many ups & downs. The years of playing Saturday football so restricted to midweek Albion watching. Getting my first season ticket in the second season at Withdean with my mate (he’s been going since 1977) & my son. Wonderful times

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Congratulations Hiney, I celebrate my 60th anniversary at the Boxing Day Arsenal game. For perfect symmetry I was hoping for Fulham at home when the fixtures were published ��⚽⚽️��

Great read as well btw

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Congrats Uncle [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION]

Glad to have shared bits of it with you - nil-nil draws, inadequate 'players lounge's, long trips in hire cars, killer moths and all...

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I'm still annoyed! :) I still consider the solid blue shirts with white sleeves to be the 'proper' Albion kit. Yes, yes yes, I know, I know.

The same happened with Sheff Wed. must have had the same supplier? They still have the wrong shirts:)

el punal

One yes from me. An overriding memory of that shirt was going to an early season evening game. It was a beautiful evening, the pitch looked absolutely pristine and the Albion kit just looked superb with that ‘backdrop’.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
I mis-read that. I thought it said : “Did your father stand on a box like mine did?” :lolol:

P.S. Upturned milk crates were also the go-to height adjusters in those days.

Tamplins beer crate for me which were taller than milk crates.

First game 0-0 draw verses Leyton Orient 1965, my main memory was John 'Granny' Goodchild on the wing hence the avatar.

el punal

Tamplins beer crate for me which were taller than milk crates.

First game 0-0 draw verses Leyton Orient 1965, my main memory was John 'Granny' Goodchild on the wing hence the avatar.

The friends I went with to the first match warned me about him! They called him Flobber Goodchild on account of having a spit every time he ran down the wing. Essentially the warning advice was do NOT stand on the first five terrace steps. The advice was heeded and I remained dry! :D

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
60 years approximately perched on a neighbour's shoulders around 1958 aged 8 or nine. Lost 4-1 to Northampton. Started going regularly mid 60s with Bobby Smith, Jimmy Collins, Wally Gould and John Goodchild tearing defences apart and getting me hooked.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Seems there are a clutch of us 67/68 first timers ....

Mine was Boxing day 1967 Vs Gillingham - in the Chicken Run, stood on a little fold-up chair - I was 7

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here