Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing problem - over flow pipe issue when hose attached to cold water supply.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am sure a plumber with 45 years experience will come up with a respectable answer shortly

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The cold mains pressure water is flowing back up the hot pipe, through the hotwater tank into the coldwater storage tank which is overflowing out of the warning pipe. Regardless of whether you wish to fill a paddling pool or not, you should get non return valves fitted to your kitchen tap supplies. But for now, it should only happen if both hot and cold side are turned on, so just turn the cold on.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Thank you for the few sensible suggestions. However, the standard of the jokes ones was poor although the swimming pool ones made me laugh. As for " have you tried turning it off and off again " is 30 seconds of your life you won't get back :+

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thank you for the few sensible suggestions. However, the standard of the jokes ones was poor although the swimming pool ones made me laugh. As for " have you tried turning it off and off again " is 30 seconds of your life you won't get back :+

As suggested in post #24, did you have the hot and cold open on the kitchen mixer when using the hose?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Anyone got any ideas and more importantly how to resolve it?

With the current got weather always a nice idea to get the paddling pool out for the toddlers. However, when I attach a hose to the monobloc mixer tap in the kitchen and turn on just the cold water within minutes the over flow pipe on the side of my house is gushing water! In the end I had to abandon this and make a numerous trips with a bucket. Pretty primitive and impatient toddlers grizzling at the delay.

Is the only answer to bite the bullet and get an outside tap fitted or is their a cheaper simpler solution ?

The cold mains pressure water is flowing back up the hot pipe, through the hotwater tank into the coldwater storage tank which is overflowing out of the warning pipe. Regardless of whether you wish to fill a paddling pool or not, you should get non return valves fitted to your kitchen tap supplies. But for now, it should only happen if both hot and cold side are turned on, so just turn the cold on.

Hmmmm

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I'm not a plumber but wouldn't a double jointed flange nurdle attached to the overflow valve and then in turn over-wrenched via your existing single jointed hobbler point remove the need for paddling pool completely?

Now you have explained the situation in these simple words its obvious you are spot on

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Forget the paddling pool, and just dump the toddlers in the bath until they stop grizzling.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You must be Hove Actually if you were trying to fill the paddling pool with cold AND hot water!!?? :cool:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Two questions to clarify

If you were to not fit a hose to the kitchen tap but just let it run cold to waste for the same time would the over flow then leak?

Am I right in assuming your heating hot water system has a storage hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard?

Or have you a combi boiler and no hot water cylinder?

My thoughts are the mono block tap is letting by between cold and hot, the cold water being mains pressure overcomes the hot water pressure which in this case is not mains pressure, therefore the hot is feed via a hot water storage cylinder which in turn is topped up via a header tank in the loft.
The cold water under mains pressure is forcing water back up the pipe to the hot water cylinder, now we have two possibilities at this point the water could be coming out of a safety valve fitted to the hot water cyclinder or the heating coil in the hot water cylinder which in turn forces the water back up the hot water top up then onto the tank in the loft which fills until it reaches its overflow level, answer non return valve needs to be fitted to the outgoing pipe from hot water cylinder plus tap in kitchen Probably has a ceramic seat that's worn and needs replacing and finally fit an outside tap or you do have a combi boiler and its internal mixing valve is letting by and water is coming out of the boiler safety valve

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Thanks Blue 3. Very helpful response. In answer to your first question with the tap just running nothing will come from the overflow.

Your description of my set up is spot on. Hot water cylinder in airing cupboard and tank in loft.

So am I correct in saying that the other stuff you describe will also need to be done and just biting the bullet and getting an outside tap fitted is not the whole story.

Cheers

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don’t done of those hose valves stop water coming out ..erm this maybe entirely irrelevant in which case i’m Blaming too much sun

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Metal Micky glad I was able to be of assistance just confirm There is a requirement for a separation between hot and cold water ultimately to ensure no non potable water enters the water distribution system the thought is if cold water can force its way from cold to hot then in certain circumstances it could force its way hot to cold so to answer your question yes mixer tap needs to be repaired or preferably replaced with integral none return valves already fitted, non return valve should be fitted to any outside tap and finally the hot water cyclinder outflow needs a non return valve belts and braces

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two questions to clarify

If you were to not fit a hose to the kitchen tap but just let it run cold to waste for the same time would the over flow then leak?

Am I right in assuming your heating hot water system has a storage hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard?

Or have you a combi boiler and no hot water cylinder?

My thoughts are the mono block tap is letting by between cold and hot, the cold water being mains pressure overcomes the hot water pressure which in this case is not mains pressure, therefore the hot is feed via a hot water storage cylinder which in turn is topped up via a header tank in the loft.
The cold water under mains pressure is forcing water back up the pipe to the hot water cylinder, now we have two possibilities at this point the water could be coming out of a safety valve fitted to the hot water cyclinder or the heating coil in the hot water cylinder which in turn forces the water back up the hot water top up then onto the tank in the loft which fills until it reaches its overflow level, answer non return valve needs to be fitted to the outgoing pipe from hot water cylinder plus tap in kitchen Probably has a ceramic seat that's worn and needs replacing and finally fit an outside tap or you do have a combi boiler and its internal mixing valve is letting by and water is coming out of the boiler safety valve

Metal Micky glad I was able to be of assistance just confirm There is a requirement for a separation between hot and cold water ultimately to ensure no non potable water enters the water distribution system the thought is if cold water can force its way from cold to hot then in certain circumstances it could force its way hot to cold so to answer your question yes mixer tap needs to be repaired or preferably replaced with integral none return valves already fitted, non return valve should be fitted to any outside tap and finally the hot water cyclinder outflow needs a non return valve belts and braces

Slightly O/T, but does anyone know how to fix a broken full stop key ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This reminds me of many of my customers hours spent self diagnosing something they know nothing about. I know the problem most of the time before I've arrived and 9-10 it's a simple fix. Call a professional that why we are here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here