Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Hayward - Telegraph - Brighton Blooming

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Another classic from Mr Hayward, who wrote so many great pieces during the dark days.

Do kind of object to the description of us "falling to pieces" in the play off against MASSIVE though - bit of a harsh way of describing that day, which saw probably saw more stretchers on the pitch than shots on goal.

And is it Telegraph policy to insist that every paragraph has at least two numerical facts in it? ;-)

Very much this.

1st leg desperately unlucky with injuries.

1st half 2nd leg was arguably the best we played all season.

The team didn't fall to pieces. Just run over a sack full of black cats.

Otherwise, good piece.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I knew Paul very well back in the 90s. We played football together every week (he was a cultured centre back, I was a lumbering striker) and spent too many hours in pubs. Our kids played together.

We drifted apart, probably because he spent so much time travelling the world, and I allowed work to get in the way of making the effort to keep in touch with friends. A big regret.

Paul is a lovely bloke, and a great writer. I still have the copy of The Telegraph from the day after the Hereford game (or the Monday) somewhere. That was a truly moving, great article. So is this.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
He and Nick Szczepanik appeared in the first ever Albion Roar live show, and was equally top quality, but also has a great sense of humour, you can listen to both parts of the live show if you scroll down the page here and look in the Radio Shows section

http://www.albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Excellent report .
Plus some memories of that day .

Attachments

• img415.jpg
    img415.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 211
  • img412.jpg
    img412.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 207
  • img414.jpg
    img414.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 207
  • img394.jpg
    img394.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 211
  • img417.jpg
    img417.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 211

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"Brighton had been bottom of the lowest division from 5 October to 26 April, until a run of 10 home wins in 12 under manager Steve Gritt lifted them to 91st, on the day their Goldstone Ground closed after 94 years."

I know we all know the truth, but the cold hard facts put into one sentence like that really ram home the achievements of that season as well as the subsequent ones.

:albion2:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Wonderful article - full of facts and not the opinionated tripe that gets recycled in the red tops

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here