Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Race Is ON To Tart Up London Road!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Road has huge potential.

It's the closest large shopping area to great swathes of prosperous housing between Preston Park and Ditchling Road.

Almost every building in it, including all the neglected and abused ones, is actually very attractive.

It is next to a future St Peters Plaza, which in turn will link London Road to North Laine.

Depends if the Greens have the balls to pedestrianise or not. At the moment its all shoppers pinned on narrow pavements and a very wide road where traffic appears to very much have priority.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
St Peters Plaza?!?!

Isn't there a plan to ban northbound traffic from York Place/St George's Place, which would create a large open area with an historic church in the middle at the bottom of Trafalgar Street? It could be fantastic and would spur the further regeneration of London Rd and the areas either side.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
95 Western road. I think that puts it somewhere opposite Waitrose. Opens in about a week.

Ah yes it's what was that American diner place. Anyone else associate the term "lounge bar" with metrosexual coke heads or is it just me?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slightly OT but Spoons are opening in Burgess Hill on 29th April, ( The 6 Martlets)looking at the site they have a lot of work to do to meet that opening date. Hopefully will make the pubs in Burgess Hill sit up and think and even possibly Haywards Heath. However you look at it they are good to make other pubs improve what they offer.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Slightly OT but Spoons are opening in Burgess Hill on 29th April, ( The 6 Martlets)looking at the site they have a lot of work to do to meet that opening date. Hopefully will make the pubs in Burgess Hill sit up and think and even possibly Haywards Heath. However you look at it they are good to make other pubs improve what they offer.

Where is the site they will be at in B/Hill?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Depends if the Greens have the balls to pedestrianise or not. At the moment its all shoppers pinned on narrow pavements and a very wide road where traffic appears to very much have priority.

It's a right pain when you've got all the tramps weaving from side-to-side along the pavement.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I heard some of the stalls are open in the Market now.

You do notice the difference, especially that their are not many empty shops anymore. I heard that Wilkinson's want the shop space that used to be the old co-op once the flats are finished, that will be a student paradise. Also York Place has improved with both His-be and Meat taking double frontage shops at the London Road end, and yes the improvements to the Level especially the cafe are making the area more inviting to families. Once all the new build flats are occupied it will swell business even more.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's a shame that the only way we seem able to regenerate areas is to gentrify them and force the prices up.

Interesting perspective and got me thinking. The UK does seem to have two modes.

1 Preserve in aspic.
2 "modernise" out of all recognition.

There seems to be too little moulding what we have to fit new purposes.

paulie49

May 17, 2013
There are a few stalls open in the New Open Market and we hope that all the permanent stalls will be open in May. There will be daily stalls in the central square and lots more to come. Open Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm. Loads to see, eat and buy.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I heard some of the stalls are open in the Market now.

You do notice the difference, especially that their are not many empty shops anymore. I heard that Wilkinson's want the shop space that used to be the old co-op once the flats are finished, that will be a student paradise. Also York Place has improved with both His-be and Meat taking double frontage shops at the London Road end, and yes the improvements to the Level especially the cafe are making the area more inviting to families. Once all the new build flats are occupied it will swell business even more.

The cheese and egg place and the fruit and veg have been open for a while. It just didn't look like it

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
There are a few stalls open in the New Open Market and we hope that all the permanent stalls will be open in May. There will be daily stalls in the central square and lots more to come. Open Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm. Loads to see, eat and buy.

Have you got any pictures you can post up for us?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

in fairness it is the LONDON Road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here