Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA receive offer to sell Wembley...

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
The public money should of course be paid back in full plus interest. And definitely no need for a National Stadium at all. We have plenty of grounds that can hold the 30,000 who still bother going to watch England.

Granted attendances are probably on the wain but we would need more than a capacity of 30k? anyone have the attendances of England home games at the rebuilt Wembley?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My thoughts.
A few years ago a bunch of old men (no women) decided to rebuild Wembley at a cost of £600 million.
£800 million later they got their stadium but were broke and so had to have lots of matches played there.
Along comes Shahid Khan and offers less than it cost but £500 million cash, these men like the sound of that. "We could pretend it's for grass roots football" they say.
Sold!
They then realise they don't have any offices or a football stadium and so negotiations begin to 'rent back' for £50 million a year Wembley Stadium. To cover these costs all quarter final FA Cup matches must now be played at Wembley.
You just know that's how it will end up.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Why ?

We don't even need a national stadium. Other countries seem to get by alright without one, and with the superb standard of stadia in this country nowadays, I don't see the point of building another one in the middle of England just to call it the national one.

The England football team should always play their friendlies and qualifiers around the nation IMO, and I don't know anyone who wouldn't be happy to see the FA Cup semi's played at neutral club grounds again.

When you say I watched the Albion at Smelhurst, doesn't have the same ring about it, when you can say Wembley!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Granted attendances are probably on the wain but we would need more than a capacity of 30k? anyone have the attendances of England home games at the rebuilt Wembley?

Are you kidding ? We get at LEAST double that, mostly 80k. We got 77k for Lithuania last year, and 81k for Malta.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
if this means that FA Cup semis go back to other stadiums, however small a thing that might be, I'll be pleased

For the cost it always seemed a bit of a white elephant. The FA would be mad not to sell.The bonus being England games moving around and the FA Cup semis going back to how they should always have remained.
Agree about the England games and the semis, but I'd be sad to see the FA Cup Final being played elsewhere - it wouldn't be the same.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Any deal that sees establishment of an overseas franchise for any other country’s domestic sport of choice sets a very dangerous precedent.

I’m not anti NFL I just hate the way teams can effectively sack their home city and upsticks if the commercial angle no longer stacks up.

As for the FA selling the family silver like this reeks of desperation. They already know they can’t finance any re-modernisation when the time comes and probably can’t believe this opportunity has presented itself.

Another reason to be thoroughly disappointed and dejected at the state of modern sport in this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
With the amount of money in English football its pretty sad that they would contemplate selling to a foreign owner. Short term thinking.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
The public money should of course be paid back in full plus interest. And definitely no need for a National Stadium at all. We have plenty of grounds that can hold the 30,000 who still bother going to watch England.

I was joking about this. Wembley is iconic and always has been and it has always been special to play there. I can’t believe it could even be allowed to be sold. I think we did have a low crowd for an England game of about 40,000 a few years ago but appreciate that’s rare.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Any deal that sees establishment of an overseas franchise for any other country’s domestic sport of choice sets a very dangerous precedent.

I’m not anti NFL I just hate the way teams can effectively sack their home city and upsticks if the commercial angle no longer stacks up.

As for the FA selling the family silver like this reeks of desperation. They already know they can’t finance any re-modernisation when the time comes and probably can’t believe this opportunity has presented itself.

Another reason to be thoroughly disappointed and dejected at the state of modern sport in this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The FA didn't own the old Wembley did they ?

They used a Lottery Grant to buy it for 120 million to redevelop so it is hardly the family silver.

I am far from impressed by the new place and isn't something I particular care about.

If they sell (which is probably a good idea) they should pay the money back.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Yes, but it is OUR National stadium... Putting it in the hands of private foreign ownership means we have nothing . The whole point of it was to provide a home for England football, plus cup finals and national events.
£800 mill. won't go far once debts are repayed. What if the old one had been sold off back in the day? There would have been nothing to built the new one on.
Are they saying it was a mistake to rebuild it?
This is like a young couple selling up their house and just renting .. they enjoy the proceeds, while it lasts......
The Government have to get involved, surely they can stop it ?...I hope.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sell it and build a brand new Stadium in the Midlands 120,000 stadium with designed for atmosphere.
With High speed rail link and invest in the Northern and Midlands power house.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Yes, but it is OUR National stadium... Putting it in the hands of private foreign ownership means we have nothing . The whole point of it was to provide a home for England football, plus cup finals and national events.
£800 mill. won't go far once debts are repayed. What if the old one had been sold off back in the day? There would have been nothing to built the new one on.
Are they saying it was a mistake to rebuild it?
This is like a young couple selling up their house and just renting .. they enjoy the proceeds, while it lasts......
The Government have to get involved, surely they can stop it ?...I hope.

IMO it was. We don't need a national stadium.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My thoughts.
A few years ago a bunch of old men (no women) decided to rebuild Wembley at a cost of £600 million.
£800 million later they got their stadium but were broke and so had to have lots of matches played there.
Along comes Shahid Khan and offers less than it cost but £500 million cash, these men like the sound of that. "We could pretend it's for grass roots football" they say.
Sold!
They then realise they don't have any offices or a football stadium and so negotiations begin to 'rent back' for £50 million a year Wembley Stadium. To cover these costs all quarter final FA Cup matches must now be played at Wembley.
You just know that's how it will end up.

Don't you just know it? This is the FA trying to strike a deal with an American billionaire businessman. There is only going to be one winner.

(Having said that I'm not opposed to the sale of Wembley per se. I just want the right deal).

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Sell it and build a brand new Stadium in the Midlands 120,000 stadium with designed for atmosphere.
With High speed rail link and invest in the Northern and Midlands power house.

Your first stop Balcombe on the southern line stopper to Birmingham.......................

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Are you kidding ? We get at LEAST double that, mostly 80k. We got 77k for Lithuania last year, and 81k for Malta.
I am in agreement Easy, I was quoting the figure *Withdean and I* jokingly threw in the mix for capacity of alternative venues to hold England games. I would guess we have higher support for friendlies than most footballing nations. For me selling The home of English football to a foreign investor is a bad idea. The money they received would soon disappear and grass roots football would not benefit in the long term.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Should not be allowed to happen. I am sure if an Englishman tried to buy the National Stadium in any other country around the world he would be told were to go. The Stadium was built with tax payers money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here