Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This is the best Brighton team ever......

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Need to know what division we're in next season before I can speculate on improvements.

We need, as in any season, to try and get in two or three players who will be an improvement on what we've got. That will be the same whatever division we are in, someone who is an improvement on the existing incumbent. CH and the recruitment team will have an idea which positions are most in need of upgrading, but who comes in will still depend on who's available at the right price.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Need another winger as March hasn't kicked on as I'd want (loan?).
Need 2 CMs for cover (we're woefully thin on resources there).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Players from back then would not have the fitness to stay with current professional teams.

Arguably a lot harder playing on those energy sapping surfaces, than the springy versions of today’s, so debatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No its not. The training is far far more advanced now. Plus diet and sports science. They don't drink at half time...

Sadly we’ll never know, but whether Liverpool or Forest came forward 30+ years and benefited from crying chambers, perfect pitches, dietary advice and alike or whether Man City went back in time, to ‘proper’ more physical football.

They’d both adapt.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
crying chambers

I'd just pull the duvet up over my head at bedtime.

If we keep the same players over the summer, then another CM, maybe 2 (if we can find another #10 incase Gross is unfit/out of form), perhaps another striker and a winger, i'd be happy. We may decide on another RB (if Bruno can't keep up), CB (if Goldson/BFG move elsewhere) and a second striker (if Hemed/Baldock are surplus to requirements).

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We need, as in any season, to try and get in two or three players who will be an improvement on what we've got. That will be the same whatever division we are in, someone who is an improvement on the existing incumbent. CH and the recruitment team will have an idea which positions are most in need of upgrading, but who comes in will still depend on who's available at the right price.

Alright I'll give it a go.

- (LB) Better version of Bong (Suttner isn't it). Anybody who knows how I post will know that I am a big fan of Bong but fullbacks are such an important position in this division and we can certainly improve in that area.
- (RB) Better version of Schellotto. As above, I rate him but he's just about the most one-footed player I have ever seen. Think it will be farewell Bruno so we will need one anyway.

- (CM) A carbon copy of Dale Stephens, improved version if possible. Would still take Delaney. Thanks for the memories Steve.
- (ACM) Replacement for Kayal, don't think he's up to this level. Just my opinion. Cheers Beram.

- (Winger) Depending on what's decided about Locadia's main position, if we play him through the middle then we will need a new winger.

- (Striker) Yep, one of those, maybe two. Muzza probably bit-part player. Farewell Tomer.

Fingers crossed we won't need a new CB.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't know what you mean by "proper" football.
But talking about how they would adapt given time is irrelevent to directly comparing them. Today's teams would hammer past teams in one off games, end of.

Don't agree and we'll never know, it is so hypothetical. The game has changed beyond belief.

There is minimal tackling now.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
I don't know if this is the best Brighton team ever but I think this is the best time ever to be a Brighton fan.

Top new stadium that fills every game.
Playing in the top flight at a time when many consider the Prem the best league in the world.
80% safe of relegation.

It's all good.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A midfielder with pace, shooting ability and strength and stamina to run from box to box with and without the ball, ideally left footed, Precision long and short passer, hard to shift off the ball and aerially excellent.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tackling is a last resort. You should be in position to intercept.

Only in the penalty area, players are afraid to tackle now, due to changes in rules over the years and play acting.

Not being condescending at all, because these discussions are what NSC is all about, but age wise, did you play football in the 80’s?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't know if this is the best Brighton team ever but I think this is the best time ever to be a Brighton fan.

Top new stadium that fills every game.
Playing in the top flight at a time when many consider the Prem the best league in the world.
80% safe of relegation.

It's all good.

Don’t forget that we can also talk to the opponents fans now without fear of being beaten up (mostly). That’s the bit I like best - the ability to just enjoy the game!

Chijeff

Jan 23, 2017
There is no dought IMO , this is the best squad of players, i have ever seen in over 50 years, notwithstanding some great players and times over that period.
Likewise. Been a supporter for 63 years, this team overall as good as we ever had.
Do need a good finisher though, I remember and knew ex Spurs C/F Bobby Smith, over 50 years ago.
Now he could put them away.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
This is the best Brighton team ever......

Yes. No disrespect to the old guard (me included) but the PL is in another footballing universe now compared to the early 80's and we don't look out of place.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wish list probably looks like :

At least one striker, possibly two (replacement for Hemed as he'll leave, if Ulloa doesn't stay then replacement for him too)
Cover for Gross (Baldock replacement ?)
At least one CM (replacement for Sidwell)
At least one winger (replacement for Skalak that's better than March/Knocky)
New right back (cover/competition for Schelotto as I think Bruno will be done at the end of this season)

All incoming ideally better than current 'first names on the teamsheet'

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
I agree with Stat Brother that our priority will still be a quick striker, Locadia by his own admission is not good in the air so not really a replacement for Murray, also an attacking mid. to compete with Gross.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess it also depends on what division we're playing in.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Cover for Gross (Baldock replacement ?)

Given we'll need to bring in some home grown players in the next window, then it wouldn't surprise me if we reignited our interest in Nick Powell for the AM midfield role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here