Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Worlds Best Jobs

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My 3 are;

Manager of Man Utd paid an absurd amount of money and if not successful sacked after 6 months with enough money to live on for the rest of your life.

Sacked by Man Utd you then get a job with a Championship or Div 1 club then retire or get sacked after 12 months.

MOTD Presenter.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The bass player for Coldplay or similar ie enjoy the benefits of being in a huge band without the hassle of being recognized.

I can equate to that- prefer The Bad Seeds though- maybe Warren Ellis so I could be occassioanlly hassled.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sky Sports Cricket Pundit

I used to think that being a cricket journalist was the best job in the world. However, when I was offered a job on The Cricketer as the money was so low it was impossible to live on (they said afterwards they were looking for someone with a private income).

But even if I had taken it, I'm not sure I'd have liked it. I met a cricket journalist for one of the nationals once - he was just about to go another England tour and was dreading it. He said that, as a cricket fan, he thought he'd had the best job but now was beginning to dislike cricket - I'm not sure I'd like that.

Lonely Planet Writer/Reviewer.

My best friend worked there for some years before she got away: believe me, you really, really don't want to work there

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I had the best job in the World. I looked after rich peoples floating toys.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I used to think that being a cricket journalist was the best job in the world. However, when I was offered a job on The Cricketer as the money was so low it was impossible to live on (they said afterwards they were looking for someone with a private income).

But even if I had taken it, I'm not sure I'd have liked it. I met a cricket journalist for one of the nationals once - he was just about to go another England tour and was dreading it. He said that, as a cricket fan, he thought he'd had the best job but now was beginning to dislike cricket - I'm not sure I'd like that.

Maybe, I just feel sorry for Beefy, Biggles and Athers mooching around Oz, the Caribbean et al 'aving a right old laugh and the odd glass of a decent red or two as they all seem to know what they're talking about (Cricket too).

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Is being an HGV driver really that good ;)

No, I meant the guys that get to take the finished article from Dorset down to Southern Spain. You're right some do it on the back of a lorry but some port hop down, that's the job I'm after as I'm crap at parking, but then again I may also be on a £600,000 boat!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
MP's have it pretty good. Sitting in at the pantomime for 142 days, with 223 days off - and earning £70k for it - not to mention all of the perks, such as having a democratic vote that's worth that of half a million people, brown envelopes and many of your expenses paid.

Don't forget MEP's....an even cushier number.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
One bloke I spoke to was an "assault course architect" which seemed like a lot of fun. Other than that Property developer abroad or maybe one of the Ice Road Truckers from TV.

ICE ROAD TRUCKER!!!....are you insane. I shit myself from the comfort of my armchair every week. Trying to work on the vehicle in temps of -40! Driving over frozen lakes, with the ice creaking and cracking below you! No thank you!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No, I meant the guys that get to take the finished article from Dorset down to Southern Spain. You're right some do it on the back of a lorry but some port hop down, that's the job I'm after as I'm crap at parking, but then again I may also be on a £600,000 boat!

I knew a chap in Maidstone did that delivering yachts to Mediteranean ports for rich people. Told me many hair raising stories of sailing through the Bay of Biscay apparently due to the sudden change in depth of the water by somd considerable amount. Cant remember the exact change but think it was like 300ft.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Lonely Planet Writer/Reviewer.

... and the pay is shocking

Speaking as someone who does write/update travel guides for other publishers (not LP), I can say with 100% certainty that you usually end up spending more doing the research than you actually earn.

It's something you have to do for love - and have an alternative income stream...

First rule of being a travel writer: marry someone with a steady job and a decent income.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I played golf with a guy that plays the top courses in the world and writes articles/guides on them. Seems pretty good to me. I believe that he does have another pretty well paid job to supplement this though.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I knew a chap in Maidstone did that delivering yachts to Mediteranean ports for rich people. Told me many hair raising stories of sailing through the Bay of Biscay apparently due to the sudden change in depth of the water by somd considerable amount. Cant remember the exact change but think it was like 300ft.

I very nearly got a lift down to Southern Spain on a Sunseeker, it was only when the guy started talking about how much fuel he'd use and it would be better to share the costs that I suddenly realised it would be better for my to fly ..... to be honest a flippin' chartered plane would have been cheaper!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here