Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley friendly

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I actually think they could do okay this year down in League Two. They had some players that looked comfortable against our lot.

Admittedly, they also had some players that looked woefully out of their depth.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Best bit was when Kaz completely lost his rag and shoved his marker, having yet again consistently demonstrated immense talent and zero ability to deploy any of it in a conclusive fashion.

Worth lumping on crawley to lose first game

You forgot to mention he reacted only after being fouled and thrown to floor..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Even so, complete idiot for reacting like that.

And now he's got a yellow card for his trouble! Can anybody tell me, do yellow cards handed out in pre-season friendlies count towards the totting up process? Could a red card potentially cause a player to be suspended for the Manchester Citeh match (not that I'm expecting KLL to be anywhere near the team on matchday - just enquiring about the rules)?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
A good workout overall and no injuries which is always good! Gross looked very good, has a good engine, can tackle and scored a sublime volleyed goal. Hemed must have had his head turned as he was a bit shit really. Same for Norwood, he just wasn't as good as the players around him.

Special mention though for Solly. Oh. My. God. That boy has oodles of class. Prem class.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Who needs new signings........ ;-)

Seriously, good display, however Crawley really were woeful and will be for another tough season. Comfortable throughout, Crawley had two very easy chances that our second half team gifted to them and they blazed them over.

Once again I thought Gross oozed class and March was outstanding and Murphy played well. Second half, I thought Stephens and Goldson were the pick of our team.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
And now he's got a yellow card for his trouble! Can anybody tell me, do yellow cards handed out in pre-season friendlies count towards the totting up process? Could a red card potentially cause a player to be suspended for the Manchester Citeh match (not that I'm expecting KLL to be anywhere near the team on matchday - just enquiring about the rules)?

No, yellow cards in pre-season don't count towards the totting up.

Red cards are a bit of an anomaly. It was discussed on Talksport as part of the fall out from Man Utd's preseason tour. Valencia I believe committed quite a nasty foul. The ref gave Mourinho the opportunity to sub the player. Mourinho refused so the ref sent Valencia off. If the referee includes the red card in his match report then the FA are obligated to treat it as if it was in competition. They mentioned Roy Keane fell foul of such an incident on a Utd preseason tour years ago.

Yoda

English & European
No, yellow cards in pre-season don't count towards the totting up.

Red cards are a bit of an anomaly. It was discussed on Talksport as part of the fall out from Man Utd's preseason tour. Valencia I believe committed quite a nasty foul. The ref gave Mourinho the opportunity to sub the player. Mourinho refused so the ref sent Valencia off. If the referee includes the red card in his match report then the FA are obligated to treat it as if it was in competition. They mentioned Roy Keane fell foul of such an incident on a Utd preseason tour years ago.

Think both Scholes & Rooney also did in 2006 too.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I must say I enjoyed that game. Not normally a fam of Friendlies but First half was splendid, enjoyed the look at Groß and Suttner. Groß look3d very interesting. The second took a bit to get going but good to see 22 of the firSt team squad get a good run out. Well worth 12 for me and my boys.

Roll on Tuesday and Southend.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I must say I enjoyed that game. Not normally a fam of Friendlies but First half was splendid, enjoyed the look at Groß and Suttner. Groß look3d very interesting. The second took a bit to get going but good to see 22 of the firSt team squad get a good run out. Well worth 12 for me and my boys.

Roll on Tuesday and Southend.
Suttner v Pog on this display rather have Pog TBH, time will tell if he is an upgrade.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
A good workout overall and no injuries which is always good! Gross looked very good, has a good engine, can tackle and scored a sublime volleyed goal. Hemed must have had his head turned as he was a bit shit really. Same for Norwood, he just wasn't as good as the players around him.

Special mention though for Solly. Oh. My. God. That boy has oodles of class. Prem class.
Looking forward to seeing all this via the highlights after the live stream debacle... from what I saw, it was all quite promising. Sounds like our new chaps are settling in nicely...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
In case anyone missed it, there's an in-depth review at http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2017/07/22/albion-hit-crawley-town-for-six/:

Albion hit Crawley Town for six
Posted On 22 Jul 2017 at 5:34 pm
By : Tim Hodges
Comment: 0

Crawley Town 0 Brighton & Hove Albion 6
Brighton and Hove Albion comprehensively dispatched of their nearest local rivals with a convincing win at the Checkatrade Stadium.

Six different Albion players scored, including new signing Pascal Gross and Conner Goldson not long after the latter’s life saving heart surgery.

Albion’s other scorer’s were Solly March after just four minutes, Tomer Hemed, Jamie Murphy and a Glenn Murray penalty.

New signing, goalkeeper Maty Ryan made his debut in the first half , but hardly touched the ball.

Niki Maenpaa took over in the second half.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought that Crawley were generally awful and will have a long hard winter ahead of them . IMHO they should have gone after Adam El Abd, COG and a goalkeeper, even Ankergren was better than the clown they had in goal. IMHO and opposite to most I thought that both Norwood and Kayal put in a good shift but our MOM was undoubtedly March who showed his class and ability. Of the new players I thought Gross did well Suttner was a little slow and caught out of position a few times so will reserve judgement on him. Did Ryan touch the ball with his hands or was it all with his feet at which he was very good. Good run out against very poor opposition whose best players were No 17 and Coxy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Suttner v Pog on this display rather have Pog TBH, time will tell if he is an upgrade.

Why mention Pocognoli as he has signed for Standard Liege the contrast for us should be between Suttner and Bong as to who is best not somebody we havent signed. I am not sure who I think is the better of the two that we have now.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Think they might have a Hyypia in Kewell. Coxy insinuated they're not too convinced by the "expansive" style he's trying to implement. Rarely works in div three.

The guy who fouled old cheerychops for the penalty was another highlight. He must have been shorter than 5ft. Maybe he's a Juninho-style pocket genius and just hid it well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here