Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you wet shave?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Some points:
1. Wet shave >>>> electric
2. Twin blade is plenty and refills are cheap as chips. Paying extortionate money for the latest model of turbo ultra extreme wotsit makes you a consumerist patsy.
3. Shaving brushes are an excellent thing.
4. Beards are great but like BMW's and Audi's are ruined by the number of twats who have them.
5. Why shave everyday? Give your face a holiday from being scraped at least 3 days a week.
6. Aftershave just hurts and stinks.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Some points:
1. Wet shave >>>> electric
2. Twin blade is plenty and refills are cheap as chips. Paying extortionate money for the latest model of turbo ultra extreme wotsit makes you a consumerist patsy.
3. Shaving brushes are an excellent thing.
4. Beards are great but like BMW's and Audi's are ruined by the number of twats who have them.
5. Why shave everyday? Give your face a holiday from being scraped at least 3 days a week.
6. Aftershave just hurts and stinks.
Number 5 is nonsense. No problem with a quality razor.

Strange because i like the stinging sensation in number 6. Never noticed it stinks to be honest.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Dollar Shave club sprung up in the US a while ago, then a few more like Harrys followed - and eventually the big boys like Gillette were forced to follow suit.

For my money Harrys have the best product

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've always wet shaved, tried electric but found it irritates my skin too much. I prefer how I look with about 4 days growth but I'm too lazy to trim it to that level all the time so just shave it all off and start again.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I always have, and have used Gillette Fusion Power for years, but I'm thinking of making a change, just for the hell of it.

Lots of ads on here for https://www.harrys.com/en/gb has anybody used them? I'm thinking of taking up the free trial.

I only shave two or three times a week and then only cheeks and neck as I have a goatee.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Yes, I recommend you shave the goatee too.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I use a Bic with the guard broken off with Edwin Jagger soap for my head and eyebrows, Ricki Hall’s Booze and Baccy beard oil and Captain Fawcett's Expedition Strength Wax on my moustache.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I always have, and have used Gillette Fusion Power for years, but I'm thinking of making a change, just for the hell of it.

Lots of ads on here for https://www.harrys.com/en/gb has anybody used them? I'm thinking of taking up the free trial.

I only shave two or three times a week and then only cheeks and neck as I have a goatee.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Try to keep patient until 12th August?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Recently invested in a Straight Razor and Leather but I'm having a bit of trouble getting and maintaining a keen edge. Any suggestions anybody? I'm pretty sure it wasn't shave ready when I bought it. I have an oil stone in the toolbox in the shed, think I might have to resort to that.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Recently invested in a Straight Razor and Leather but I'm having a bit of trouble getting and maintaining a keen edge. Any suggestions anybody? I'm pretty sure it wasn't shave ready when I bought it. I have an oil stone in the toolbox in the shed, think I might have to resort to that.

Sharpening is a bit of an art but with practice you can get there.
You will need serious stones; I have 240, 500, 1000, 3000 & 8000 grit wetstones. 8000 is about the minimum you will get away with for sharpening a straight razor, 10k, 12k or even 15k would be better. You need a few as you have to work your way up from profiling the edge to honing it; if you start with an 8k stone you'll be there till Christmas.
Once you have sharpened it, you need to strop it on a decent quality leather strop. The first strop you will need a hundred strokes or more each side (not all at once, 3 or 4 each side at a time). You can get stropping paste too, some swear by it, I never bother.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, I do - they give a great close shave. I'm toying with the idea of getting one of the old-fashioned cut-throat blades.

I tried an electric razor when I was about 18 and it was a total waste of money, had to go over it with a proper razor.

It'll be wet shaving until I die now.

Havent seen the old blades in a shop for ages, mind I havent looked, but where are they on sale.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Sharpening is a bit of an art but with practice you can get there.
You will need serious stones; I have 240, 500, 1000, 3000 & 8000 grit wetstones. 8000 is about the minimum you will get away with for sharpening a straight razor, 10k, 12k or even 15k would be better. You need a few as you have to work your way up from profiling the edge to honing it; if you start with an 8k stone you'll be there till Christmas.
Once you have sharpened it, you need to strop it on a decent quality leather strop. The first strop you will need a hundred strokes or more each side (not all at once, 3 or 4 each side at a time). You can get stropping paste too, some swear by it, I never bother.

Thanks Happy. I have just emailed Cutter and Grinder as they offer a sharpening service but I don't expect it to be cheap as they charge £25 for a hair cut and £35 for a shave. I figure if I get it professionally sharpened I might stand a chance of keeping it up with the leather and stropping paste for a while at least.
If I have to get it sharpened once a year it will still be a considerably cheaper option than giving my money to Mr Gillette.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yes initially a slave to the Mach 3 Turbo but on a whim and a promotional price I picked up a Fusion. What a load of over priced bull crap.

I shave daily as have annoyingly fast growth and the Mach 3 did the job and a single blade lasts me about 6 shaves on average before it becomes uncomfortable.

Fusion lasts exactly the same and the buggers are nearly twice as expensive.

My personal method of choice is to use kiels exfoliator pre shave, then use king of shaves mentholated shave oil topped off with a smidge of The Real Shaving Company's shave gel.

Once done I moisturise with L'Oréal for men hydration cream.

I'm a marketing mans wet dream.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here