Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone planning to see the movie "Dunkirk"?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I will at some point, but Tom Hardy has put me off seeing it, he mumbles in every film he's in, can't stand him.

el punal

It probably concentrates on an American boat owner who single handedly sails his paddle steamer across the channel and rescues everybody

Come on! He single handedly sails the ATLANTIC, then captures the Enigma decoder after ramming a German U-boat, carries on up the Channel, turns right at Dover (film shows the white cliffs while the soundtrack plays the "Stars and Stripes") heads for Dunkirk, lands on the beach, shoots down two Stuka dive bombers and an ME109, runs on to the beach destroys two German machine gun nests, meets and shags some amorous bit of French totty, back to the ship and tells 2,000 troops to get on board while yelling " We can do this thing. Whoop! Whoop! Yeah!", everybody on board, French tart swims out to ship and he dives in to rescue her and they both get on board, sail back to England, land at Dover to be welcomed by King George VI, Princess Elizabeth, Winston Churchill and President Eisenhower. God bless America!

I hope I didn't ruin the plot.

Come on! He single handedly sails the ATLANTIC, then captures the Enigma decoder after ramming a German U-boat, carries on up the Channel, turns right at Dover (film shows the white cliffs while the soundtrack plays the "Stars and Stripes") heads for Dunkirk, lands on the beach, shoots down two Stuka dive bombers and an ME109, runs on to the beach destroys two German machine gun nests, meets and shags some amorous bit of French totty, back to the ship and tells 2,000 troops to get on board while yelling " We can do this thing. Whoop! Whoop! Yeah!", everybody on board, French tart swims out to ship and he dives in to rescue her and they both get on board, sail back to England, land at Dover to be welcomed by King George VI, Princess Elizabeth, Winston Churchill and President Eisenhower. God bless America!

And then pops back to paint his tank for next weeks invasion of France! Tbf we would have been f**ked if they had not got envolved???

Attachments

• DSC00965.JPG
    DSC00965.JPG
    474.9 KB · Views: 595

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
It probably concentrates on an American boat owner who single handedly sails his paddle steamer across the channel and rescues everybody

Joking aside. It seems quite unconventional for a WW2 movie

According to reports, the film will not 'focus on backstories' of the characters, but will emphasise how these men have been thrown into a situation where they could die any second. Despite having some of the finest British (and Irish) stars such as Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh and Cillian Murphy, it is less about them and more about how they handle the scenario.

Also, in order to mimick the experience of being in battle from the perspective of British soldiers, there are apparently no Germans on screen at all, save for the Luftwaffe pilots in fighters and dive bombers.

I am bloody excited, I might just have to go to the IMAX to see it.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It's a Christopher Nolan film, so it (hopefully) will be up there with Interstellar in terms of spectacle and music. It's the same team behind it.

The way they/he is approaching the story sounds good too - focusing on what it felt like at the time rather than the larger understanding of the events that we have now through a historical perspective. I've booked IMAX tickets...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If I can be serious my Grandfather on my Mothers Side was there as a Cheshire Regiment Territorial with the BEF.

Our wonderful French Allies spat at the British Troops as they withdrew, which has informed my opinion of our EU colleagues ever since.

Load of his mates were killed by bombing on the Beach.

He was put on a train when he got back to Dover & came home to Macclesfield in full kit including a rifle with a live round up the spout. According to my Mother he didn't say a word just went to the front room and slept for 48 hours.

In 1941 he went out to North Africa with the 8th Army including Sicily then Salerno and fought the rest of his war in Italy.

Clearly he must have seen a lot of horrible stuff, when demobbed in 1945 apparently he got pissed a lot rather than going back to being a Brickie and subsequently walked out on my Grandmother.

I know he must be dead but don't have a clue where he is buried.

Isn't War a wonderful concept for sorting out the Worlds problems?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Joking aside. It seems quite unconventional for a WW2 movie

According to reports, the film will not 'focus on backstories' of the characters, but will emphasise how these men have been thrown into a situation where they could die any second. Despite having some of the finest British (and Irish) stars such as Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh and Cillian Murphy, it is less about them and more about how they handle the scenario.

Also, in order to mimick the experience of being in battle from the perspective of British soldiers, there are apparently no Germans on screen at all, save for the Luftwaffe pilots in fighters and dive bombers.

I am bloody excited, I might just have to go to the IMAX to see it.

I saw a trailer on imax, it was very very good.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Silly! So anyone who mumbles in a film is an awful actor and nobody mumbles in real life?

dislike-facebook.jpg

Did I say he was an awful actor? No. I said I can't stand him for the fact that he mumbles. And yes people do mumble in real life, but in a movie I'd like to actually hear the dialogue, it usually plays a big part in helping to understand the plot.

I’ll be watching it, my Grandfather was evacuated from Dunkirk on a coal barge.

Going but expecting it to be inferior to the John Mills classic.

My Father was in this this film, while serving in the Royal Artillery they were drafted in as extras, he was in the wood that got shelled, which he said was infinitely better than the others in the Regiment who had to stand waist to shoulder deep in water while the filming was taking place for hours on end.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Did I say he was an awful actor? No. I said I can't stand him for the fact that he mumbles. And yes people do mumble in real life, but in a movie I'd like to actually hear the dialogue, it usually plays a big part in helping to understand the plot.

mumble1.jpg

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The cast in this is looking quite good.......i really hope they dont frack up the telling of one of the greatest stories of D Day, or quite possibly one of the greatest glider assaults in the history of warfare.

Pasta, D-day and Dunkirk were different events mate. Dunkirk was us hotfooting it out of France, D-Day was us going back to win the war.

D-day of course is usually portrayed by Hollywood as the Americans single handedly landing in France and securing a foothold leading to ultimate victory. They seem to forget that of the 5 beaches, they only landed on 2 of them (The Canadians and Brits took the other 3) and they only landed on the beaches due to British planning, logistics and manpower taking them there.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

There's also a sequel planned: him and some of his buddies get into their American designed and built Spitfires and Hurricanes and win the Battle of Britain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here