Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth willing to let Murray leave on a free

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really? Please do share (by pm if necessary)

We baulked at the loan fee they wanted.

Ohhh do tell :)

No need for a PM.

Glenn's father in law drives a cab for the Southwick firm I use. Mostly he's not actually working as he takes him to and form Bournemouth. However, he dropped me and my mate to Brighton Station to get the train to Middlesboro and we talked football most of the way. Basically [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] has repeated what he told us. That we cooled off given what it would have cost us.

Now that COULD have been smug-Ken's way of stopping the deal but the inference was that we felt our money could have been better spent elsewhere.

My own opinion is that if we do feel we can spend the money more wisely then so do I. Coming here suits GLENN. He still lives here. However, what we've built is an enviable TEAM built on good spirit and togetherness. One wrong cog in the wheel - i.e. Manu - would be a waste of cash.

I think we'll be looking for prolific scorers but they'd have to fit Hughton's team ethic and the wage structure.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
A free is about all he's worth now, if that is his price, it is that for a reason. Hes still under contract and Bournemouth paid c£4M for him just a year ago.
Hasnt played a lot of football for the last few years, unlike Bobby who had been a regular in the Prem the year before we signed him.

No thanks from me, not even on a free.

He's only on a free as Bournemouth want to find someone to take over his 30k a week contract. They won't be able to sell him as they'll have to come to an agreement over the remaining £3 million wages he's due on his contract. Why do you think Leeds were paying Robbie Fowler for years after he left, and Portsmouth were paying players wages long after they'd left the club. Actually i'd quite like that Murray moving on and Bournemouth still having to cover his wages.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
More importantly - that article states that Bournemouth are letting Callum Wilson go.....rather have him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If the perma-smug Ken-doll lets Murray leave now on a free, after refusing to let him leave in February, and then never using him again, then I'll hate the grinning little ponce, even more than I did already.

And I already hated him quite a lot.

Saved me typing it, fecking Thunderbird puppet looking prick that he is.

In some ways I'd quite like him to stay there and become a disruptive influence, whilst collecting his 30k a week for years :smile:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
More importantly - that article states that Bournemouth are letting Callum Wilson go.....rather have him.

Reluctant to let him leave. I reckon we might be hard pressed to raise the £20m and he may prefer Spurs or West Ham. :whistle:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good grief we're going to get Murray threads every transfer window until the bloke retires aren't we?

Seemed to work just fine with Zamora.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good grief we're going to get Murray threads every transfer window until the bloke retires aren't we?

If only we'd just sign him that would be an end to it :thumbsup:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
No need for a PM.

Glenn's father in law drives a cab for the Southwick firm I use. Mostly he's not actually working as he takes him to and form Bournemouth. However, he dropped me and my mate to Brighton Station to get the train to Middlesboro and we talked football most of the way. Basically [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] has repeated what he told us. That we cooled off given what it would have cost us.

Now that COULD have been smug-Ken's way of stopping the deal but the inference was that we felt our money could have been better spent elsewhere.

My own opinion is that if we do feel we can spend the money more wisely then so do I. Coming here suits GLENN. He still lives here. However, what we've built is an enviable TEAM built on good spirit and togetherness. One wrong cog in the wheel - i.e. Manu - would be a waste of cash.

I think we'll be looking for prolific scorers but they'd have to fit Hughton's team ethic and the wage structure.

Thanks for that.

As you say, if Howe were the one setting the loan fee (he might not have been) then it would be quite easy to set that such that it either made it happen or stopped the whole idea dead in its tracks.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
He's only on a free as Bournemouth want to find someone to take over his 30k a week contract. They won't be able to sell him as they'll have to come to an agreement over the remaining £3 million wages he's due on his contract. Why do you think Leeds were paying Robbie Fowler for years after he left, and Portsmouth were paying players wages long after they'd left the club. Actually i'd quite like that Murray moving on and Bournemouth still having to cover his wages.

So therefore he will be looking for a 3 year contract on 30k p/w wages and a huge signing on fee. That equates to £5m for a 33 year old footballer who hasnt been banging the goals in since the season Palace went up, hasn't even played regular football since then.

Still no thanks, Bournemouth can keep him, and before anyone thinks i am just not a fan of his, I was one of the ones singing his praises when plenty on here were slagging him for being lazy, i was absolutely gutted when we let him go, but his day has been and gone in my opinion.

Our scouting network scours all of Europe and far further afield too, do you really think for that sort of money we cant find somebody younger and probably better than Glenn Murray?
You will probably say why didn't we get them this season then? Maybe our budget didnt stretch to it after bringing in 9 new players last summer plus Skalak and Knockaert in January, perhaps we tried and couldnt get the players for one reason or another.

This year, as long as we can keep the players we have, our budget will predominantly go on Strikers, whole different scenario.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No need for a PM.

................... Basically [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] has repeated what he told us. That we cooled off given what it would have cost us.

We would have to know what they were asking. Reading paid Watford a £2.5million loan fee for Vydra.

If Bournemouth are wanting to let him go for free, then his wages are negotiable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
We would have to know what they were asking. Reading paid Watford a £2.5million loan fee for Vydra.

If Bournemouth are wanting to let him go for free, then his wages are negotiable.

Certainly but if they won't come down to our upper limit then no deal.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

In many respects the opposite is true.

If Bournemouth want GM off their books, they will absolutely not be wanting to be liable for any of the wages left on his contract. Surely they would only agree to a move if the new club were taking on the entire £30k?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Seemed to work just fine with Zamora.

yes, but he was the Messiah. Murray is just a disciple at best.

i see mentioned Barnes is available, can we have him back please, defiantly fit the team shape and score more than Baldock.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
In many respects the opposite is true.

If Bournemouth want GM off their books, they will absolutely not be wanting to be liable for any of the wages left on his contract. Surely they would only agree to a move if the new club were taking on the entire £30k?

I thought [MENTION=14905]symyjym[/MENTION] was talking about the failed loan deal. A parent club can always cover a proportion of the wages (e.g. the Bridge deal)

If Bournemouth are willing to let Murray go on a free wouldn't his new wages be up to his new club to negotiate with Glenn and his representatives?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here