Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Semi final MATCH REPORT

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
My final effort for the season - if you can bear to re-live it all (and in parts it was spectacular), click here...

http://www.northstandchat.com/conte...ield-Wednesday-Play-off-semi-final-16-05-2016

The referee might have fired a starter’s pistol, rather than blowing on his whistle – such was the intent with which the Albion flew at a startled Wednesday. What was to follow in the next 25 minutes was simply unbelievable. It felt like there were 15 men attacking the Owls’ goal. Within two minutes, a dream start was denied only by desperate last ditch blocks. Chance after chance after chance. Knockaert, Wilson and Baldock tearing at the Wednesday back line who looked utterly shell-shocked – early bookings for two – resorting to stopping the tide by any means.

The noise was incredible. Unprecedented. So loud. The Wednesday fans were seemingly singing – at least they were jumping about and their mouths were open – but they might as well have been miming

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
"The referee might have fired a starter’s pistol, rather than blowing on his whistle"

Love that quote, spot on. A very good report.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Brings a tear to the eye..again. Great report, thanks

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Super report. Many thanks for doing these this year, keep it up!

I hadn't seen that picture of Anthony's ankle before - he is a true Albion warrior.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
brilliantly written and captured the emotions perfectly. thanks for taking the time

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Super report. Many thanks for doing these this year, keep it up!

brilliantly written and captured the emotions perfectly. thanks for taking the time

Another great report. Love reading them. Thank you.

Thank you for the kind words.

You have to continue writing these next season (and the International Updates), I demand it.

Ok [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] - since you DEMAND it...

I'm sure I shall do so.

The forthcoming Euros may provide a little Albion International action, if Jiri Skalak keeps his place in the Czech squad.
Could have been a lot busier, had Scotland or Finland made it / Crofts maintained his Wales place / etc. There is, of course, a bit of (former) Albion interest in the Irish / Northern Irish squads.

There are a ton of Albion youth Internationals (Ireland U21 / 19 / 17, England U16, etc), as you know, but they play so often, and info is sometimes a bit sparse, so its hard to keep up with them.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The forthcoming Euros may provide a little Albion International action, if Jiri Skalak keeps his place in the Czech squad.
Could have been a lot busier, had Scotland or Finland made it / Crofts maintained his Wales place / etc. There is, of course, a bit of (former) Albion interest in the Irish / Northern Irish squads.

Sam Vokes - Wales
Paul McShane - RoI
Stephen Ward - RoI

Any possible others? NI?

PG

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exile's match reports always provoke two talking points amongst some of my friends:

a) His quality of writing is actually better than many sports journalists in the nationals. Should he be looking to promote this skill to a wider audience?
b) How on earth did that idiot Timmy get a writing gig? He's an absolute moron, unpleasantly self absorbed, and most importantly has the journalistic ability of a 7 year old.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Brilliant report -Thanks.

I was really depressed after Friday night but strangely uplifted after the game. Gutted to have not made it but so proud of the team, the club and the fans who made all that noise. :albion2::clap2::clap2:

Can you post it on Boro's and Wednesday's forums to show we are not all whining?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Exile's match reports always provoke two talking points amongst some of my friends:

a) His quality of writing is actually better than many sports journalists in the nationals. Should he be looking to promote this skill to a wider audience?
b) How on earth did that idiot Timmy get a writing gig? He's an absolute moron, unpleasantly self absorbed, and most importantly has the journalistic ability of a 7 year old.

:blush:

a) I do it because I enjoy writing - no more than that. There are some brilliant sports journalists, and yes some dreadful ones - ones who think that because they are writing about sport, rather than something 'serious', somehow the quality of their actual prose is less important.

That are also many, many very good club-specific and general bloggers / hobbyists, who produce excellent writing, is commendable, but perversely, by its very existence this content devalues (in monetary terms) football writing. Nobody would approach (for example) me out of the blue and say, "We'll pay you to write this stuff" when they can already read it for nothing.

On my reports specifically, there is an element of the fact that Albion fans like what they are reading, because they (by default) are likely to agree with my viewpoint. Writing reports on 'neutral' games would be a bigger challenge, for sure. Writing for [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] also gives me completely free reign to tell it as I see it. Nobody writing in a national could call a referee a cheat, call Karl Robinson a fat narcissist, or properly report chants like "You're shitting your pants". Similarly, writing for the Argus or tougher still, the official club site would hamstring you in terms of criticism - of tactics / players / managerial decisions, etc.

b) That is a bit of a mystery, yes, but good luck to him. I would guess that it is a combination of being prepared to do it for nothing, being local enough to attend the pressers, and having the free time on his hands.

Brilliant report -Thanks.

I was really depressed after Friday night but strangely uplifted after the game. Gutted to have not made it but so proud of the team, the club and the fans who made all that noise. :albion2::clap2::clap2:

Thanks. And yes, your take on it matches mine exactly.

Can you post it on Boro's and Wednesday's forums to show we are not all whining?

If they've lost then inevitably they'll hate what they read. This one is rightly quite complimentary to Wednesday's resilience and hopefully they'd enjoy the general tone. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] does post a link to each report on twitter and would include both teams' #hashtags so its out there if they want to read it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
You really are very good at this. Your season's efforts are hugely appreciated.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here