Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loanee left back

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I really don't see 'Inverted full backs' being much of an issue, particularly defensively. We are talking about professional footballers here, players who are perfectly capable of using both feet. They don't need to be particularly accurate with their weak foot in that position, most of the time it'll be a simple pass down the line or a booted clearance.

However, the 'downside' to this is when you consider how Bong contributes offensively, as he regularly overlaps. Playing a right footed player on the left side will likely reduce penetration down that side, and if they do overlap, the quality of the ball coming in won't be quite as good.

That would be a good idea. When I played football, if I tried to block a cross with my left foot, I'd probably fall over.

Tangent:

March 12 shots this season all with his left foot.

Lualua (in half a game less time) 22 shots, 11 with his left, 11 with his right.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The difference being that he wasnt deemed good enough by a premier side to play in The Premier in Liams case he wasnt deemed good enough to play in the lower league Championship at left back.

Hull never 'deemed he wasn't good enough' for this league. They got relegated and had to slash their wage bill, so perfectly reasonably, started with three senior pros, who played in positions where they had cover. the young Scotland left back Robertson is a superb prospect at left back, so IF that were the position they were considering Rosenior for, their decision is a valid one.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
So they had better options, we havent as yet.

Not necessarily 'better'. They made a concious decision to try to rebuild - in which case offloading senior pros and putting faith in young players for the future, makes sense. Doesn't mean for one second that the players they let go were considered unable to do the job.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wish [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] would let us know what he thinks... :(

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What I am saying is that I do not think "inverted full backs" are a good idea in the long term (or even in the medium term or short term)

:lolol:

So in other words....you don't think they are a good idea.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That metro report is an interesting read about him being a throw back to the old days of a defender who can defend. I know nothing of him myself but sound interesting.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Wouldn't the the first time that Pullis has ostracised afull back, he was also very fond of playing with four centre backs in his days managing Stoke. If Bong is out for a few months, Pocognoli would be an ideal replacement. Naylor's earlier tweet seemed to kill off any idea that it would happen though.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Am I missing something, but isn't Greer left footed?

I thought he was right footed. Thinking about his long ball to Wayne Bridge vs Newcastle was with his right? I thought then he might pass as a right back, but the years have not done him any favours and a full back needs to be quick.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/8294/History/Gordon-Greer

So are Dunk, Goldson, Rosenoir (quite obviously), Ince (quite obviously) right footed.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here