Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*TRAIN NEWS* Brighton main line closed tomorrow

but by publishing the website they have left them selves opening for questioning. There must be a plan of action (I would hope), the fact they can say there are trains to and from somewhere would, in my view, mean they know when these trains will run and where they will run to.
Have you ever tried to reschedule a job at short notice? It's more complicated than some people appreciate.

In this instance, it requires changes not only to the timetables, but also to staff rosters and rolling stock schedules - to say nothing of confirming that the contracts with bus operators to provide rail replacement services will actually happen (especially difficult when those same bus companies already have a contract in place to provide extra vehicles and drivers to get 25,000 people to and from a football match on the same day).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why can't you just piss off and eat another Brutwurst and leave discussions on the trains to people it actually AFFECTS?

Jesus. Are you just too stupid to appreciate that I might visit the UK and use the trains? What do you think that thing called Gatwick Airport is? What do you think it does?

And what is a "brutwurst"? If you're going to start slinging insults at least get it right. If you try and be clever it helps if you actually are clever.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I think one would have more sympathy for the railways if they could get the basics right day in, day out. The number of times we hear of "signalling failures", or a "points failure" verges on the ridiculous. Come on - we had all the work at Stoat's Nest Junction over Christmas, then we go back to work and what do we get? Power supply problems at Balham. Some companies can get it right: London Overground, LTS and Chiltern for example. Okay, I know the latter two are relatively simple operations, but LO has to interface with a number of lines and still usually gets it right. Of course weather events are going to cause disruption (and with the exception of the "wrong kind of snow" effort, BR usually recovered pretty quickly), but really, how difficult is it to check a signal relay?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You have the exact same mentality as Southern, and the TOCs in general. Rather than holding your hands up and saying 'That's not good enough, how can we improve it?' You search around for an excuse, ANY excuse which you then cling to, claiming it's not your fault, not even thinking about things you could have done to mitigate or prevent it all so you can massage your precious statistics which as we all know are a crock of shit.

We both have the same opinion of the railways so why you being such a knob with me? Are you schizophrenic?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Have you ever tried to reschedule a job at short notice? It's more complicated than some people appreciate.

In this instance, it requires changes not only to the timetables, but also to staff rosters and rolling stock schedules - to say nothing of confirming that the contracts with bus operators to provide rail replacement services will actually happen (especially difficult when those same bus companies already have a contract in place to provide extra vehicles and drivers to get 25,000 people to and from a football match on the same day).

But was this a surprise to them? The water has been rising for a considerable amount of time, any competent company has contingency and emergency plans in place, I would have thought these would have included such items as you state above.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
But was this a surprise to them? The water has been rising for a considerable amount of time, any competent company has contingency and emergency plans in place, I would have thought these would have included such items as you state above.

The plan being put in place has been planned for about a week, but seeing as they didnt know when to implement it and staffing is different on a daily basis, it couldnt be put in place.

The amount of changes will still take time to sort, they should have probably put the changes in place - then announced them to save confusion though.

Mill Road P&R could be fun tomorrow too, luckily i pre-booked.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I do visit the UK and invariably have to use the trains.

If they are that bad hire a car then rather than bore us all with your inane postings about Southern Railway. When they lose the franchise nothing will change.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I strike down idiocy where ever it manifests itself, which is in you and in the tocs.

Who are you, Judge Dredd?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If they are that bad hire a car then rather than bore us all with your inane postings about Southern Railway. When they lose the franchise nothing will change.

Why don't you tell us you're WFH tomorrow? I'm sure we'd ALL love to hear this amazing news......yet again.

RustyTheSnowman

Apr 5, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
I've only recently started commuting between Preston Park and London Victoria (2 weeks so far) so please excuse my ignorance. Can we expect the journey planner tools on the National Rail and/or Southern websites to be updated with the revised schedule or is the notice they've posted all we're going to get? I've got a ticket for tomorrow night and working from home isn't really an option for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've only recently started commuting between Preston Park and London Victoria (2 weeks so far) so please excuse my ignorance. Can we expect the journey planner tools on the National Rail and/or Southern websites to be updated with the revised schedule or is the notice they've posted all we're going to get? I've got a ticket for tomorrow night and working from home isn't really an option for me.

This thread will be your best source of up-to-date and correct information. In all fairness Ernest and Beach Hut's Xmas eve info was most helpful to me as I battled to get home. The TOC websites carried no meaningful or useful info that day.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Be really helpful to know the times and durations of littlehampton to Lon b trains tomorrow between 6 and 7 if any of the experts know this ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here