Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glastonbury 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I always respect your opinion as someone who clearly embraces all forms of music. I know from previous posts you and I have defiantly shared the same festival space .
The Pyramid stage crowd seemed to be willing Metallica on ,and I seemed to detect a cheeky grin from Hetfield as they went into the intro for Master of Puppets , that they had made it this far without incident ,they could now loosen up for the home straight.
I read this morning about the Fox hunting parody prior to Metallica's set...How did that go done ?

Thanks for your nice words. Sadly, and with much regret having seen some blistering performances, I did not go this year. First time since 2004 I have missed one. Like you I have read about the short film; I'm not sure how it went down though. I cannot even see it as the Youtube film is blocked in Germany as it does not have a publishing licence. I imagine it was taken in good nature. Bryan Ferry is pro-fox hunting and badger culling…wonder if he got the same shit?

Which festival space have we shared? I'm guessing Monsters of Rock?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just catching up watching Mogwai and it appears there were no losers last night. Metallica put on one hullaofashow whilst John Grant/ Mogwai look like the best two performances of the festival back to back.

One major thought though - with all this fanfare around "the first" metal band to headline, I think I would have preferred to see a British act (Sabbath and Maiden are the two candidates that immediately spring to mind.)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just catching up watching Mogwai and it appears there were no losers last night. Metallica put on one hullaofashow whilst John Grant/ Mogwai look like the best two performances of the festival back to back.

One major thought though - with all this fanfare around "the first" metal band to headline, I think I would have preferred to see a British act (Sabbath and Maiden are the two candidates that immediately spring to mind.)

I look forward to catching up on Mogwai's set. Last time I saw them live was several years ago during the Mr Beast Tour. They are playing at The Dome in October but I expect you are well aware of that!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bruce Dickinson came out with some fairly scathing (and cliched) comments about Glastonbury a few weeks back and stated he will never play there. That just leaves Sabbath.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014

Heard John Grant for the first time last night, seems good. Metallica were first class though. The first and only glasto set I have seen this year. Wasn't expecting whisky in the jar :banana:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Bruce Dickinson came out with some fairly scathing (and cliched) comments about Glastonbury a few weeks back and stated he will never play there. That just leaves Sabbath.

If Bruce wasn't such a hypocrite, I'd agree with him completely. Its target market has had to change over the last 20 years to get 200k in there! Metallica since '91 (you could argue '86) have always been the acceptable face of heavy metal/hard rock, they are a complete establishment band now. But there's a fair amount of the pot calling the kettle black from Bruce here.

Facebook now allows me to see the profile of my acquaintances that go to/try to get tickets for Glastonbury. In the main (I'd say 90% of them), it's the sheep - you know, those people you don't mind, you'd never go out of your way to mix with them. Dullards. They never have a good film or good record to recommend, their last gig they went to was at the o2, they go to Orlando regularly even though they're childless and in their 30's, estate agents, stopped clubbing 5/10 years ago, massively rockist. It's almost like they think these 5 days and £200 gives them some cultural currency.

Obvs some very good people go as well. Those people won't be at the Pyramid for this evening's headliners.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ok so today

Toumani and Sidiki
A bit of Dolly
The Wailers
Yoko
St Vincent
Connan Mockasin
BJM
Disclosure

There's a secret headliner on the Park Stage this evening, I take it?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Is there any genre NOT catered for at Glastonbury? It's been that way for as long as I can remember, but, strangely, criticism seems to be reserved for headliners only. However, heavy rock/metal has probably been worse-served than a lot of other genres - which suits me as I'm not a fan but I was in my early teens for a while and it has always been a genre that gets little airtime despite including some of the biggest bands in the world.

Metal/ hard rock gets a very bum deal at Glastonbury even compared to ATP, Primavera etc, let alone a Donnington...

The metal underground also routinely throws out genuinely brilliant bands who aren't at headlining level - saw 3 of them at Primavera: Deafheaven, Kvelertak & Jesu. It's always been a frustration of mine with the Glasto line-up. It's almost like someone decided all metal was shit and that was that.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Metal/ hard rock gets a very bum deal at Glastonbury even compared to ATP, Primavera etc, let alone a Donnington...

The metal underground also routinely throws out genuinely brilliant bands who aren't at headlining level - saw 3 of them at Primavera: Deafheaven, Kvelertak & Jesu. It's always been a frustration of mine with the Glasto line-up. It's almost like someone decided all metal was shit and that was that.

I think, for some, there is an aspect of "We don't go to your festivals, you don't come to ours" in that many HM fans are extremely loyal and passionate about their scene, but are tired with the disdain they get from the mainstream. Unfortunately, that may put off many either side of the divide from bridging the gap. A group like Boris, along with the ones you've mentioned above, should have an attraction for more "indie"-minded fans, just as Nirvana had 24 years ago.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
That Mogwai set was 75 minutes of true quality. Playing all the well known songs. Looks like it will be available to listen/watch for the next 4 weeks.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think, for some, there is an aspect of "We don't go to your festivals, you don't come to ours" in that many HM fans are extremely loyal and passionate about their scene

Certainly I think this was the case 10 years ago. Not so much any more on both sides of the fence, Glasto's been pretty slow to pick up on this and we'll see if the Metallica thing is a one off or not.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

I am a massive Maiden and Bruce fan but just sometimes he likes to rant for the sheer sake of it. And this was particularly nonsense from a bloke who went to Oundle and sent his kids to private school.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm not convinced John Peel would approve of some of the acts on the John Peel stage.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Huge crowd for Dolly.

Quite right too. She's an absolute legend.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not convinced John Peel would approve of some of the acts on the John Peel stage.

For the last few years the Park stage has been more Peel than the Peel stage. There's been some frightful shit on the Peel stage the last couple of years.

And what is the point in having dead in the water bands like Kaiser Chiefs and MGMT headlining it - both are failed commercial prospects with little or no remainining critical love, those slots would have been much better filled by a Wild Beasts or Chvrches - acts still on their way up.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
For the last few years the Park stage has been more Peel than the Peel stage. There's been some frightful shit on the Peel stage the last couple of years.

And what is the point in having dead in the water bands like Kaiser Chiefs and MGMT headlining it - both are failed commercial prospects with little or no remainining critical love, those slots would have been much better filled by a Wild Beasts or Chvrches - acts still on their way up.

Mogwai would have been a better choice than MGMT last night and they were huge favourites of the man himself. As for The Kooks and some of the other stuff today they would do better elsewhere.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Most Glastonbury long-termers will tell you the festival is more about the unexpected than the expected and not about any particular band. And Glasto goers are a very diverse bunch. It's a festival in the truest sense. The Glastonbury crowd welcomed Jay-Z and they also welcomed Metallica; they respect bands who move out of their comfort zone onto the Glasto stage. Jay-Z and Metallica also seemed to be knocked back by the positivity and support from the Pyramid Stage crowd.

That's why Glastonbury is such a great festival, gutted not too have gone this year. It's a really good place to broaden your horizons and check things out that you would never normally go anywhere near. Glad that Metallica have now dispelled the myth that heavy bands can't play there.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That's why Glastonbury is such a great festival, gutted not too have gone this year. It's a really good place to broaden your horizons and check things out that you would never normally go anywhere near. Glad that Metallica have now dispelled the myth that heavy bands can't play there.

:bowdown:

dollyrichiemain.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am a massive Maiden and Bruce fan but just sometimes he likes to rant for the sheer sake of it. And this was particularly nonsense from a bloke who went to Oundle and sent his kids to private school.

Fair comment. I was particularly annoyed at his comment that Glastonbury is middle-class. It attracts all sorts including middle-class. Think it will take a lot more before I remove Live After Death from my running iPod though :thumbsup:

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Thanks for your nice words. Sadly, and with much regret having seen some blistering performances, I did not go this year. First time since 2004 I have missed one. Like you I have read about the short film; I'm not sure how it went down though. I cannot even see it as the Youtube film is blocked in Germany as it does not have a publishing licence. I imagine it was taken in good nature. Bryan Ferry is pro-fox hunting and badger culling…wonder if he got the same shit?

Which festival space have we shared? I'm guessing Monsters of Rock?

Defo Monsters of Rock and I seem to remember you mention Download a few times , and probably a few punk gigs to boot.

Maybe Metallica will thrown in the fox hunting parody before their set at Sonisphere next weekend .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here