Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I missing something - re the penalty?

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Going back to the original post, how far back were u????
Even without the gift of sight the was a clear sound of ball on boot b4 the Bournemouth player launched into the usual theatrics

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Even the BBC have some sympathy with us...

The Cherries took a fortunate lead when they were awarded a 14th-minute penalty, despite Calderon appearing to win the ball with a clean, last-ditch challenge on Pugh.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Never a penalty.

Also, i cant recall the Lino flagging for a "foul" either. Also, if it was actually a foul which gave away a penalty - why didnt Calde get a card ?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Still, we've had all this before with refs & B'muff. Who could ever forget that last min pen at Withdean when arms were raised outside the penalty area?

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Bloke went down like a sack of spuds, same as Murray used to do every other game. Referee left with no option but to give it really.

What you chatting about you absolute loon, he had the option to give a corner which is what it was, jeez.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Again shows the lack of communication between officials. Absolutely no idea why the referee didnt even bother to talk with the lino !!

Aren't they miked up know? Still, would have made sense to be seen to consult him. Whether he would have changed his mind or even if the lino would suggest it wasn't, we'll never know.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Aren't they miked up know? Still, would have made sense to be seen to consult him. Whether he would have changed his mind or even if the lino would suggest it wasn't, we'll never know.
Hooper is the sort of ref whose attitude is "I'm in charge" and will ignore the advice from his assistants.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Bloke went down like a sack of spuds, same as Murray used to do every other game. Referee left with no option but to give it really.

No option but to give it? He could always have looked at the location of the ball and questioned how it got there and given the corner his lino was signalling for.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
He didn't. The lino was signalling a corner.

We were in N I block and the red seemed to be signalling for a corner but then seemed to awkwardly move the flag when Albion players were pointing to him.

I thought he bottled it. The ref didn't seem to have a great view. The lino had a perfect view - we were near enough behind him.

Jul 7, 2003
Never a penalty.

Also, i cant recall the Lino flagging for a "foul" either. Also, if it was actually a foul which gave away a penalty - why didnt Calde get a card ?

Just because it is a penalty doesn't mean it was a bookable offence. It is just another foul which happens to be in the penalty area. If every foul was a bookable offence you would never finish a match.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Standing in the north stand looked like an absolutely nailed on pen. Was pretty surprised when everyone seemed so outraged.....

Yes, you've missed everything about it. A great tackle and the ball diverted so clearly, no danger to opponent, ball out of play and then opponent fell over tackler. Couldn't have been clearer. A shock to all when the little dictator wasted no time in arrogantly pointing to the spot.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was in WSL parallel with penalty area and it didn't look like a penalty. It was a high risk tackle, and one that didn't need to be made, but it wasn't a foul.

Normally you would be correct that it "didn't need to be made" but in this case I think it did as the entire defence had been wrong footed by an awful/naive passage of play and it looked like he would score.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Normally you would be correct that it "didn't need to be made" but in this case I think it did as the entire defence had been wrong footed by an awful/naive passage of play and it looked like he would score.

And having watched the replay on Sky, I think I will backtrack a bit more by saying that Calderon had a much better sight of the ball than I first thought, so the tackle wasn't as risky as my post suggested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here