• Yes

Votes: 62 41.1%
  • No

Votes: 89 58.9%

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Absolutely not. His role is as has been written already in this thread: maximise commercial income and minimise non-playing costs. The money that is then spent on the playing staff, and th coaching and deployment of those staff, is not in his remit.

If we're going to blame him for the failure (so far) of this season, then I think we need to congratulate him on getting us to the play offs for the past 2 seasons as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolutely not. His role is as has been written already in this thread: maximise commercial income and minimise non-playing costs. The money that is then spent on the playing staff, and th coaching and deployment of those staff, is not in his remit.

Well on the Albion Roar a few weeks ago Paul Beirne who is actually employed by the club stated he was now responsible for the highlighted part and Paul Barber ran "everything else". Not "everything else except the playing side". Of course this could just be a turn of phrase.

If we're going to blame him for the failure (so far) of this season, then I think we need to congratulate him on getting us to the play offs for the past 2 seasons as well.

I've no doubt that had we actually turned up for either sets of play-offs and won them then Paul would have added something like "achieved promotion while also raising profitability" on his cv for the next time the headhunters came calling. As it happens though we have actually finished in successively lower positions in each season of his reign - the polar opposite to Gus. Poor Paul must be very unlucky indeed because exactly this happened to him at Spurs and Vancouver. Do we really need a CEO with the luck of a mirror smashing black cat owner?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well on the Albion Roar a few weeks ago Paul Beirne who is actually employed by the club stated he was now responsible for the highlighted part and Paul Barber ran "everything else". Not "everything else except the playing side". Of course this could just be a turn of phrase.

I've no doubt that had we actually turned up for either sets of play-offs and won them then Paul would have added something like "achieved promotion while also raising profitability" on his cv for the next time the headhunters came calling. As it happens though we have actually finished in successively lower positions in each season of his reign - the polar opposite to Gus. Poor Paul must be very unlucky indeed because exactly this happened to him at Spurs and Vancouver. Do we really need a CEO with the luck of a mirror smashing black cat owner?

I heard that as well. Although, I'm fairly sure that this bloke reports to Paul Barber; hence it's PB's responsibility to make sure the man in this position is doing his job. David Burke and Hypoia report directly to TB.

And it's worth re-stating that PB's first season was our most successful. Last season wasn't far behind that either, and that was with loads of long term injuries to key players.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Would you agree that his appointment was the start of the decline on the pitch? For whatever reason.

For what it's worth I don't think we can blame him for the current shambles
People in Africa are statistically less likely to fight war when it rains. Correlation doesn't mean causation, I struggle to see how Barber is responsible in the slightest.
The amount paid out this season and the rumoured increase in wage bill shows our budget hasn't been touched as much as some people think.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone actually have any proof or real reason for wanting Barber out? Or is it all guess work and 'cos he put the price of pies up' ?

Certainly looks to have done what was asked for him judging by our FFP results, shirt deal, Amex sponsorship increases etc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
People in Africa are statistically less likely to fight war when it rains. Correlation doesn't mean causation, I struggle to see how Barber is responsible in the slightest.
The amount paid out this season and the rumoured increase in wage bill shows our budget hasn't been touched as much as some people think.

What about correlations that follow someone from North London to North America to the South Coast? Only one constant involved.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The mess on the pitch is nothing to do with Barber. That said I don't like the way the guy operates, I don't like the feel of the club under his stewardship, and believe long term he will do more harm than good. He can talk a good game, and wonder if Bloom was sucked in by his spiel and against his better judgement employed a man who's career seems to be on the slide?

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

I really do not believe this. Managers are not happy working with his presence. To put this speculation to an end, can someone who knows Gus Poyet (or even Oscar Garcia) come on here, and tell us what their view was of working with Barber?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ridiculous thread, Barber is not responsible for the poor performance of the team. He's done his job very well and has the patience of a saint when replying in depth to anyone who wants to have a moan. What else could he have done.

If anyone is to go, it should surely be on the player recruitment side who have failed to convert any of their recent (permanent) acquisitions into a first team regular. That is the root cause of our problems at the moment.

D

Deleted member 22389

Without Barber I very much doubt we would have the Nike Sponsorship or many other things. Barber is not the manager nor is he a scout, so I don't know why Barber gets stick.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without Barber I very much doubt we would have the Nike Sponsorship or many other things. Barber is not the manager nor is he a scout, so I don't know why Barber gets stick.

I find it hard to believe Nike is mainly down to Barber.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
My only complaint with Barber is when he spoilt xmas two years ago, other than that he's fine in my book.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Blaming Barber for the performance on the pitch is vaguely ridiculous.

There is a debate to be had about what he does off the pitch but ultimately he is set targets by Tony Bloom of which he has seemingly achieved. If it wasn't him it would be someone else.

I personally don't have a problem with him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He helped appoint the clown of a manager we now have. Probably helped gus disappear too.

How much input/say does he have with football manager recruitment? I'm genuinely curious.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Its very traditional to sack the manager (coach ) when the team does not meet expectations. I can see no change in this situation,Sammi will be sacked,at some stage if results do not improve,simples .The Barber debate will rage,but not because of team selection against Derby.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Anyone who thinks he has no effect on what happens on the pitch is genuinely deluded. Not only is he de facto in charge every January when there is a transfer window but there is no doubt he was brought in partly to reign in Poyet. Whatever you think of Poyet the club has gone down hill on the pitch ever since he left. Yes, we got to the playoffs last season but only because Reading were genuinely terrible. Derby exposed the true strength of that squad in the playoffs proper and again yesterday.

Not only that but he actually thinks there is nothing currently wrong. At least in public. In fact in an email exchange that has been on twitter he's claimed we have had a chance of winning EVERY game this season before yesterday. Presumably watched Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesboro, Charlton at home and Brentford and Brum away with a blindfold on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here