Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much would it cost to rebuild the Goldstone Ground?

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Somewhere between £1-200m should do it, once I've paid off my mortgage I can chip in my bit, as long as I get my patch on the east terrace, I have a piece of concrete to replace as well.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
All of the right cost components, but there are a few savings to be made.

Your friend would have to buy the site at the current investment value to the owners of the income from current retail tenants, plus a small amount for transaction fees. The site was worth £23m when sold as a developed retail park in the late 90s, so accounting for appreciation since then, Brexit impact, etc... the investment value today is probably £80m+

Re-building the site as was would probably cost less than £50 as the construction was simple concrete over base and the main stands were relatively simple steel frames, so £30m ought to do it.

Clear the site ought to be no more than £8m.

That should be around £75m off the bill once the 20% contingency reduction applies, so around £145m all in.

Remember to factor in my fees for consultancy.
It's not MY friend. I do have so weird friends, but none that weird.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If I was a Billionaire, I'd do it.

State of the art, underground car parks, uber pitch, all on the same footprint with as near as damn it the same exterior aesthetic. Proper turnstiles, terracing at North and East and pay on the gat for it.

And I'd sort out the trains as well.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
When can we start, I only have to walk across Hove Park to get there! On second thoughts I’d probably end up a NIMBY!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Well, ok, I'll play along, but you understand it won't be a football ground? At least not for the Albion. If we're rebuilding it exactly the way it was most of it will be terracing which we can't use.

So to build your friends Albion museum/1980s football theme park experience:

Buy up the existing site: 100m
Clear the existing site: 30m
Legal fees to get the planning permission, fight the enquiries etc: 20m
Rebuild the Goldstone as it was: 50m
Initial total: 200m.
Add on 20% as it will obviously run over budget: 20m
Grand total: 220m

So there you are, it will cost 220m to rebuild the Goldstone as it was.

DISCLAIMER: I work in IT, not construction, law or planning so my guess may turn out to be a few quid out.

20% of 200m is not 20. Try 40m

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Never, never go back.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
If I was a Billionaire, I'd do it.

State of the art, underground car parks, uber pitch, all on the same footprint with as near as damn it the same exterior aesthetic. Proper turnstiles, terracing at North and East and pay on the gat for it.

And I'd sort out the trains as well.

No need to sort out trains, we'd be back at Hove Park, free parking for miles around for all! Halcyon Days!! :flameboun

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm surprised nobody knows the answer to this question.

It is of course, £56.25

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
But I live in Shoreham and the train ride to Hove and the march round the coprner then seeing the floodlights and hearing the crowd was a big part of the day.

No need to sort out trains, we'd be back at Hove Park, free parking for miles around for all! Halcyon Days!! :flameboun

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I don't think about it much at all really. However about every three months I dream about being at a game at a redeveloped Goldstone. I don't usually know what I dream about but these are with me when I awake.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Would be a great little stadium for a women's football team now.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's definitely time for Hove Rovers to grow and become a force. BHAFC can rebrand as Brighton City and Hove Rovers will rise from the ground and become Brighton's true rivals.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Would be a great little stadium for a women's football team now.

£150 mill + for a stadium with a thousand or so in attendance.

I'm in.

landscape-1478114775-sugar.gif

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here