Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interview technique

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
Just go in with the mindset of "who the f**k are you* and think to yourself * I would probably be better at your job than you are* That's my mindset in general anyway, helps you come across as confident in my experience.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just go in with the mindset of "who the f**k are you* and think to yourself * I would probably be better at your job than you are* That's my mindset in general anyway, helps you come across as confident in my experience.

Hmmmm .... fine line there ! I've lost count how many times I've rejected a candidate because they thought they were entitled to the job. In particular the idea that having a degree automatically puts you to the top of the pile !

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Hmmmm .... fine line there ! I've lost count how many times I've rejected a candidate because they thought they were entitled to the job. In particular the idea that having a degree automatically puts you to the top of the pile !

Indeed, a degree doesn't give you common sense these days:lolol:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

A belief in yourself and your ability to do great things for your prospective employer is good, arrogance is risky. It never does any harm to show that you are open to learning new things. The mistake many highly educationally qualified people make is to think that they are the finished article.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
1) firm handshake 2) be interested in the role (you'd be surprised) 3) do some proper research (get bored of the response - well I looked at the website 4) relay your CV with concrete examples of what you have done (I'm a great guy doesn't wash until you highlight the time you stayed until 3am on a Sunday to help your colleagues complete the job and then bought a homeless guy dinner on the way home) 5) appropriate eye contact (don't freak them out Notters) 6) smile occasionally 7) be proactive and start thinking what you would be doing for them and how they would benefit with you in their position 8) ask some relevant questions that show your deep interest and knowledge of the area you are interviewing in 9) don't ask about benefits / salaries unless they bring it up - make them want you first.

Good luck - knock them dead.
I always think those who do the firm handshake thing are knobs tbh. Its a bit of a sales rep thing or as we call them reptiles :lolol:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I will have my first job interview in YEARS next week.

If I get it, I would be moving to a different employment sector but one where I can transfer a lot of my existing skills - in fact when I read the job spec it seemed almost tailored to what I can do, and indeed enjoy doing. On a personal level, as the job is in Newcastle it would also allow me to move in and settle down with my partner who lives up there, which is obviously a massive incentive for me.

I'm trying to be rational and tell myself that I am perfectly qualified for this role and perfectly capable of nailing this, but I'm still bloody nervous about it! I've got access to plenty of information about the role and my potential employer, so the next week or so is going to be spent doing my homework so that I can go in there feeling as prepared as possible, then what will be will be.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I will have my first job interview in YEARS next week.

If I get it, I would be moving to a different employment sector but one where I can transfer a lot of my existing skills - in fact when I read the job spec it seemed almost tailored to what I can do, and indeed enjoy doing. On a personal level, as the job is in Newcastle it would also allow me to move in and settle down with my partner who lives up there, which is obviously a massive incentive for me.

I'm trying to be rational and tell myself that I am perfectly qualified for this role and perfectly capable of nailing this, but I'm still bloody nervous about it! I've got access to plenty of information about the role and my potential employer, so the next week or so is going to be spent doing my homework so that I can go in there feeling as prepared as possible, then what will be will be.

Go for it [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION]

Glad to say, in no small part thanks to some advice on this thread, my interview obviously went very well as I got the job offer the very next day!

I'm now going through similar self-doubt you describe, almost convincing myself I can't do the new job. This despite it writing code in a language I've been using for 6 years, in an industry I've been in nearly 30 years, and this new job even having an identical job title to my current one!

Can't wait to get started in reality. Shorter commute (Brighton to Purley as opposed to Tottenham) and a significant salary increase.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Go for it [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION]

Glad to say, in no small part thanks to some advice on this thread, my interview obviously went very well as I got the job offer the very next day!

I'm now going through similar self-doubt you describe, almost convincing myself I can't do the new job. This despite it writing code in a language I've been using for 6 years, in an industry I've been in nearly 30 years, and this new job even having an identical job title to my current one!

Can't wait to get started in reality. Shorter commute (Brighton to Purley as opposed to Tottenham) and a significant salary increase.

Top bombing Pasty.

Can we have a collective fingers crossed for me please on 15th March at 11am?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good luck [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] and [MENTION=638]Bigtomfu[/MENTION] – and well done [MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION] on the new gig. Being self-employed, I don't have to endure them – the closest it gets is chats with people about projects, etc – and I've actually been fortunate enough to never have had a 'proper' interview.

I actually think I've been de-institutionalised and would really struggle in an office environment with fixed hours, office politics and reporting to someone who could be an absolute arse. Freelancing has its ups and downs (like working at just gone midnight!), but at least you get out exactly what you put in.

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
Absolutely.
Amazing though how many people go into an interview not knowing about their prospective employers' business

My daughter had an interview this week and, having just read your comment, I advised her to research the company thoroughly. Apparently, they were particularly impressed about her knowledge of the company and this helped her to go through to a second interview. So, a big "thank-you" for your timely advice.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My daughter had an interview this week and, having just read your comment, I advised her to research the company thoroughly. Apparently, they were particularly impressed about her knowledge of the company and this helped her to go through to a second interview. So, a big "thank-you" for your timely advice.

Thank you for taking time to comment. Really chuffed that it helped :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here