Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I've been kicking myself all day for being so rude and not extending the invitation.

If you ever fancy a 'yes no hills :)' ride feel free to join us.

The certainties are Monday & 14:30.
The uncertainty is when.

They are usually a last minute affair only being organised at the earliest 06:30 or even as late as 14:10 (on the way home from work)

Although I'm sure if we had a 'special guest appearance' we could get our shite together in advance.

No worries Stat. If I'm off shift might take you up on that. Think I'll stick on this thread as I haven't got a clue about puppies. :lolol:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
https://www.strava.com/routes/6831445

Well Ladies and Gents, the next international break is coming up. So Tricky and G's entertainment PLC can now announce the next Geeks ride. Starting at Shoreham. Well Brighton City Airport as it is now, Saturday 12th November. 9.30am start.

Count me in for this one too please.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
I'm only bringing the new bike if it's not raining. :facepalm:

General question about tyres on the new bike. It currently has Schwalbe Lugano (700 x 25c) on would the geeks recomend changing to some other tyres for dry winter days & if so what type/size?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

General question about tyres on the new bike. It currently has Schwalbe Lugano (700 x 25c) on would the geeks recomend changing to some other tyres for dry winter days & if so what type/size?
Unless you've taken against them, I'd stick with the Lugano's, for the time being.

My mate Phil had them on a bike he bought, and was quite impressed, although he did say they went 'off' quite quickly.
But he was pleased enough with them he stayed with Schwalbe's only moving onto One's.

Which in turn has just got me to buy a set of Durano Raceguards for my winter hack, as I despise the 'nation's favourite' Continentals that it came with.

25's are the new 23.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

25's for me too. Continental hardshells. Just don't tell Stat.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Cheers fellas. I wasn't sure whether to go to 28s with a deeper tread. I like the Lugano's but coming from a CX bike they seem a little on the bald side for winter riding, just lack of experience i suppose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers fellas. I wasn't sure whether to go to 28s with a deeper tread. I like the Lugano's but coming from a CX bike they seem a little on the bald side for winter riding, just lack of experience i suppose.
Bizarrely enough treaded tyres are purely superfluous on road bikes.
We don't go fast enough or have enough contact with the road to create aquaplaning.
All the grooves ect, on 'winter tyres' are there for purely psychological reasons.

But with all that said, I rode on Monday with low-end contis and today with the Duranos, and the difference was amazing. Today I felt so comfortably 'stuck' to the road, unlike Monday.

My failsafe has usually been Michelin Pro Race but increasingly I've been moving towards Rubinos.
Purely because financially I couldn't justify an extra £40+ for similar quality tyres.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bizarrely enough treaded tyres are purely superfluous on road bikes.
We don't go fast enough or have enough contact with the road to create aquaplaning.
All the grooves ect, on 'winter tyres' are there for purely psychological reasons.

But with all that said, I rode on Monday with low-end contis and today with the Duranos, and the difference was amazing. Today I felt so comfortably 'stuck' to the road, unlike Monday.

My failsafe has usually been Michelin Pro Race but increasingly I've been moving towards Rubinos.
Purely because financially I couldn't justify an extra £40+ for similar quality tyres.

Yep, Rubinos for me too. Although I have Vittoria Paves on my winter bike, 25s.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've stumbled across a little treat for anyone wanting a new bike, but would rather have a jack of all trades.

Phil's not bought a bike for 6 months or so and is getting twitchy.
He wants another winter hack, but one that meets his exacting standards of comfort and safety.

I kept drawing a blank, forgetting about the Genesis Datum 10 I coveted a year or so ago.
When it was finally released it was too expensive for me esp, with the spec on offer, even though I think it's a near perfect bike.

Anyhoo this was underlined when I could only find a 12 month old bike, with just a £100 discount until

http://www.johnatkinscycles.co.uk/m3b0s6p2179/Genesis-Datum-10-2016

£1300 for a bike you can sportive, tour, cyclocross or winter on, is almost too good to be true.

I'm prepared to bet the only bad word you'll be able to find about it is 'at £1800 it's too pricey'.

I've stumbled across a little treat for anyone wanting a new bike, but would rather have a jack of all trades.

Phil's not bought a bike for 6 months or so and is getting twitchy.
He wants another winter hack, but one that meets his exacting standards of comfort and safety.

I kept drawing a blank, forgetting about the Genesis Datum 10 I coveted a year or so ago.
When it was finally released it was too expensive for me esp, with the spec on offer, even though I think it's a near perfect bike.

Anyhoo this was underlined when I could only find a 12 month old bike, with just a £100 discount until

http://www.johnatkinscycles.co.uk/m3b0s6p2179/Genesis-Datum-10-2016

£1300 for a bike you can sportive, tour, cyclocross or winter on, is almost too good to be true.

I'm prepared to bet the only bad word you'll be able to find about it is 'at £1800 it's too pricey'.

Dont like Genesis bikes!!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It struck me this morning well and truly in the middle of nowhere, alone and while still dark, a mechanical would have left me in proper lumber. Anyway, pics taken after following signs to beach.

:ohmy:

Last 10 miles were murder.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
It struck me this morning well and truly in the middle of nowhere, alone and while still dark, a mechanical would have left me in proper lumber. Anyway, pics taken after following signs to beach.

:ohmy:

Last 10 miles were murder.

Great ride today Moto, as you ride at the crack of dawn you could always take a head tourch for any unfortunate mishap.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
IMG_0477.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 154

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cheers and nah, you're alright. That patched up light SB recommended to me provides plenty of light.

I was well into Great Expectations turf today. Mist in the fields was most atmospheric. Then I hit the industrial area for a full contrast. On the way back I saw a couple of rough sorts and wondered if their surnames were Magwitch.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Cheers and nah, you're alright. That patched up light SB recommended to me provides plenty of light.

I was well into Great Expectations turf today. Mist in the fields was most atmospheric. Then I hit the industrial area for a full contrast. On the way back I saw a couple of rough sorts and wondered if their surnames were Magwitch.

Great pics of the coast. Blooming marvellous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] that's a steed and a half.
I expect great things from you now.

Yeah nice ride Moto, you didn't exactly leave yourself a choice of roads, did you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here