Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leyton Orient (the decline of)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But West Ham can fill 70% of it. Orient would struggle to fill 10%.

Are you saying that LO should have sold their ground and rented Wembley? (if they had been allowed to). If a club doesn't have the security of real estate behind them, there would be only one way to go if financial difficulties struck.

I realise that TB owns The Amex, but I think this situation is slightly different.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was simply musing that the upwardly mobile trajectory of their near neighbours must make Orient's current plight even more painful for their fans.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Last Monday night Albion U-23s lost 2-0 at Villa Park; one of Villa 's central defenders was a lad called Jacob Bedeau. He is only 17. Villa purchased him from Bury on the last day of the transfer window in January for a fee thought to be around £900,000.

What has any of that got to do with this thread? Bedeau was in the Leyton Orient youth system but was released last season during his U-16 schoolboy season. He ended up being picked up by Bury and he started his scholarship in July. The Bury youth manager was Ryan Kidd. When first team boss David Flitcroft was sacked in November 2016, Kidd became joint caretaker-manager (and then assistant to new boss Chris Brass). After making his debut for the first team when he came on as a sub at halftime in Bury's defeat against Millwall at the end of November, Bedeau started 6 matches for the Shakers and at one fixture there were reported to be 27 scouts watching him. Villa had a bid of £750,000 rejected before they finally agreed a deal.

I bet there are one or two at Leyton Orient regretting that decision to let him go last season....

I bet there are one or two at Leyton Orient wondering who the hell is running the U-16 squad. I know kids mature at different ages but a player who's worth 900k in January would have been a decent player 6 months earlier - no-one improves that quickly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps the coaching staff didn't recognize the potential, which often happens, In our case it happened with Roy Keane and Ian Wright and also I recommended Trevor Steven to AM but the then chief scout said he wouldnt make it as he was too small. His record with Everton Rangers and England etc is history but the original decision was based on 1 mans opinion which can often be wrong and wont be correct every time.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I have no idea what you're talking about. I was simply musing that the upwardly mobile trajectory of their near neighbours must make Orient's current plight even more painful for their fans.
I've no idea what I'm talking about either! Orient had bid to share the Olympic Stadium (not Wembley, as I first stated) with West Ham, but lost out.

I couldn't understand why they would do this, with a few thousand fans rattling around in a large stadium.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Funny how all the money in English football has attracted so many overseas "investors" (I use that term loosely in some cases). It's clear that our country's teams are often viewed by outsiders looking in as an easy way to get rich, ignoring the fact that most clubs, certainly in the Football League, make a loss every month. I can't see any other reason why a bunch of Italians would, with the greatest of respect, be interested in a club like Leyton Orient.

Nothing new with having East end spivs involved with East End clubs, Italian football also has a healthy record on corruption so I dont see much out of place here. I could give examples of things i have heard about goings on at Orient and West ham in the past but wont do for any possible legal reasons.

Anyway.

I am so Doooowwwwwwwwwwwwn!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I bet there are one or two at Leyton Orient wondering who the hell is running the U-16 squad. I know kids mature at different ages but a player who's worth 900k in January would have been a decent player 6 months earlier - no-one improves that quickly.

I don't necessarily agree. Six months is a long time for someone under 16 years of age. In footballing terms a young lad can improve an awful lot in that time. Both in terms of his skill levels, and his physical attributes too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't necessarily agree. Six months is a long time for someone under 16 years of age. In footballing terms a young lad can improve an awful lot in that time. Both in terms of his skill levels, and his physical attributes too.

Yes, they can improve but in six months go from someone who's not good enough for a League 2 club to a million pound footballer? That's some improvement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here