Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New TV - 4K or just a really good HD one?

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Thanks all, lots of useful tips as always. I'm probably going to do a bit mor research, choose some 4K tv's I like the look of and then wait until Black Friday and get them for the best price.
I did note that JohnLewis have similar prices but their TVs have a longer warranty so I may factor that in too...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Given the prices, I'm not sure why you wouldn't go 4k now.

Amazon's Black Friday lead-up has started, including TVs: http://amzn.to/2f8sKmu

Always purchased our tv's from John Lewis, as well as good customer service you get a five year guarantee.
I wonder what the Amazon guarantee would be, apart from the consumer contract regs'?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's all subjective.
Not always. If one picture has double the resolution of another, some people might be able to tell the difference and some might not, and in those cases, it's subjective, like you say. But now double the resolution again. And again, and again, until human's are incapable of noticing the difference. It's no longer subjective, it's simply the case that no one can tell the difference.

And that's where we're at now, unless you sit close to a big screen.

No one has done double blind testing on an identical image save the resolution (HD vs 4k) and been able to tell the difference on a 50" screen at 12 feet away. Because the difference is too small for our eyes to see. Just like Apple came out with the retina display (meaning the resolution and pixel density so high that a person is unable to discern the individual pixels at a normal viewing distance).

Every 4k picture I've seen I think is noticeably different
What size is your screen, and how far away do you sit? Unless you're close to a big screen, you won't have seen a difference between identical images save the resolution.

cant see the benefit of not investing in the latest tech available.
Unfortunately the latest tech isn't always the best. Just like when manufacturers just increased the number of pixels their compact cameras could capture, despite the fact that the resulting images were worse.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Something to bear in mind with TVs is that although the picture quality may be good the sound quality may not be.

Looked into TVs a year ago and those on the budget end sounded rubbish.

Something to bear in mind with TVs is that although the picture quality may be good the sound quality may not be.

Looked into TVs a year ago and those on the budget end sounded rubbish.

True,

I've got a 55" LG 4K TV and bought the sound bar too. The Sound bar was £150 and also have Bluetooth so can be a wireless speaker and stream from phone and other things.

No brainer if investing in a top TV

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Have to say planet earth looks pretty decent on our 4k 49inch LG tv. Can't imagine how it could look any better- did think one of those baby mountain deer was going to jump into the lounge at one point.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have to say planet earth looks pretty decent on our 4k 49inch LG tv. Can't imagine how it could look any better- did think one of those baby mountain deer was going to jump into the lounge at one point.

On the down side, the grizzlies doing the Pardew Dance against a tree must have felt like having the freak himself do an exotic dance in your front room :sick:

giphy.gif

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
On the down side, the grizzlies doing the Pardew Dance against a tree must have felt like having the freak himself do an exotic dance in your front room :sick:

giphy.gif

He really is a ****. Thankfully the comparison did not enter my head at the time but see where you are coming from.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Hi, my old HD ready tv is dead, so I'm having to use a really old one at the mo.
I've got £500 and was thinking about upgrading to a 4K 43inch Sony that Tesco are knocking out at £499.

Should I bother with 4K or just get a better full HD one and save some cash? Or do I need to put more cash towards it? This is the Tesco one I've seen...

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sony-br...-with-freeview-hd/746-0418.prd?skuId=746-0418

Thanks, HS

Edit*** or wait for Balck Friday?!***

If you can get into a richersounds branch they have 22 sets listed on their website between £400-600 including a 6 year warranty. Work out what is best for you. Some of the mainstream retailers have slightly modified versions of sets that look to be the same, but have slightly lower specs, same thing happens with laptops, so the deals are not always comparable.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
I'd look into HDR as well, which as I understand will make more of a difference in picture quality than 4k on it's own. Prob worth getting both 4K & HDR, given 4K is pretty standard now.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
If you can get into a richersounds branch they have 22 sets listed on their website between £400-600 including a 6 year warranty. Work out what is best for you. Some of the mainstream retailers have slightly modified versions of sets that look to be the same, but have slightly lower specs, same thing happens with laptops, so the deals are not always comparable.
Interesting.... I wondered why I had trouble finding exact comparisons when walking around PC world. Sounds a bit suspicious. So you'd recommend going to richer sounds as they'd have the proper models?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Interesting.... I wondered why I had trouble finding exact comparisons when walking around PC world. Sounds a bit suspicious. So you'd recommend going to richer sounds as they'd have the proper models?
I'd also recommend Richer Sounds. I've bought loads of TVs from them and they have always given me SUPERB service. The only other company I like nearly as much is John Lewis but Richer Sounds are 'expert' and also have one more year on the guarantee. Their models will be, as far as I know, the standard manufacturers model and not a cut down version.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Personally I would stay well clear of Sony TV's.

I would only buy Samsung or LG from experience, far superior in every aspect, and go 4K.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here