Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would the FA have charged him if it was a French insult?
I think you're going off on a tangent.

It's possible that in some countries just waving you're hand under your nose and saying 'you stink' could be considered racist towards some ethnic groups, because of history and culture in that country. If that was what was alleged (it isn't) then there could be a complaint for the FA to consider based on the offence taken by the player from another country - but as I say, that's a tangent, because Bong clearly isn't saying that's all that happened. It seems obvious to me that Bong is claiming he said something that is racist in this country.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought that could not possibly be the suggestion from tweet as it's absolutely LUDICROUS to suggest "you're black and you stick" is interpreted differently in France and the UK due to cultural differences. Whatever way you look at it, it's racist.
Ludicrous to me and you, but this is twitter you're talking about. You can see how a stupid person would start with the reasoning that it's ok to tell people what race they are.

If I'm wrong (literally never happened) then how can the tweet make sense? Jay is denying he said what Bong claims he said. That's not cultural difference.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Ludicrous to me and you, but this is twitter you're talking about. You can see how a stupid person would start with the reasoning that it's ok to tell people what race they are.

If I'm wrong (literally never happened) then how can the tweet make sense? Jay is denying he said what Bong claims he said. That's not cultural difference.

This is why I said I didn't understand. Maybe people really are that stupid. :mad:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Er, I've already answered that, the first time you asked.

I'm not suggesting for a second you jump to the conclusion he's guilty.

If our player was accused, I'd think a bit about the history of our player, a bit about the history of the player making the accusation, and I'd look at the evidence available so far. In this case, if I was a WBA fan, I'd simply hope that Bong misheard Jay.

There are 3 possible truths:
1) Bong misheard
2) Bong is lying
3) Jay did say it

You've come to the conclusion that only number 1 and 2 are possible, which is just silly.
I think a well educated neutral would say that number 2 is the least likely truth.

I think Bong accounted for the possibility that he misheard, and asked him to repeat it, I don't know if he did repeat it, but Bong said he thought that Rodriguez realised what he had said at that point. I can't remember where I saw it but there is a camera angle where you can see Rodriguez's lips moving, to me it looked like he said black or back, Bong was in his face, and I would have thought it more likely he was saying stand back than you're black, but maybe I am naive.

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
Apologies, missed that reply I think.

I haven't discounted that he said it. Just that the syntax of the alleged sentence is just weird and as a result i think unlikely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think Bong accounted for the possibility that he misheard, and asked him to repeat it, I don't know if he did repeat it, but Bong said he thought that Rodriguez realised what he had said at that point. I can't remember where I saw it but there is a camera angle where you can see Rodriguez's lips moving, to me it looked like he said black or back, Bong was in his face, and I would have thought it more likely he was saying stand back than you're black, but maybe I am naive.
Stand back. Seriously? That would just be weird.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The FA have taken a while to get to this point, they must have some evidence and be fairly sure (balance of probabilities) that the charge will stick

It was very odd at the time - Bong was clearly upset/angry and we couldn’t work out why the game stopped or why the ref went to the touchline.

The tweet from Rodriguez is just a standard ‘not guilty’ thing.......

I’m wondering what other evidence the FA have......must be more than simply Bong claiming what he heard.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I’m wondering what other evidence the FA have......must be more than simply Bong claiming what he heard.

Not necessarily. Bong comes across as pretty clever. If he clearly and coherently explained what was said, that should be enough to the FA to decide there is a case to answer. Seems quite similar to the Terry / Ferdinand incident. One word in a noisy arena could easily be misheard. This is why, if you want to call someone a c*nt, just call them a c*nt. Dead easy.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/oct/28/newsstory.sport5

This situation reminded me a little of the Ruddock part of this altercation... when Vieira spat at him he said “He missed but I could smell garlic on his breath” - and I seem to remember similar gestures.

Not saying that is as bad as what has been alleged at all (not that we actually know truly what has been alleged) - just thought it was slightly similar with xenophobic rather than racial undertones...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What would be your reaction if one of your players was accused without any clear evidence? Would you automatically assume he was guilty?
I wouldn't assume anything and neither should you since we don't know what evidence the FA have.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Have you considered the possibility that the actual words may have been a lot worse than what the media have been fed and that there would be no dispute of it being of a racist nature in any culture. No one knows the exact wording used except the people involved in getting to the bottom of it

None of us here know the exact wording but I guarantee that Gaetan Bong, everyone involved at Brighton know that any false accusations would be detrimental to improving issues concerning Racism.

They have chosen to pursue this and that is why I believe Gaetan Bong because he gains nothing. Only Society as a whole gains by him making a stand on this. And I for one support his stance.

Thank you for this post, it sums up my feelings exactly. I am sure all wish it hadn't happened, but feel responsible to ensure it is properly dealt with since it has. No one at BHA gains from pursuing it, and Bong has my respect for standing up to the predictable backlash.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Which would be very fair.

Alas there is little evidence of either set of supporters doing this including me.
If you read all the views of Brighton fans on this thread then you'll see that the vast majority are of the innocent until proven guilty opinion. It's been discussed at huge length and the fact is that nobody knows until/if we get more clarification of the evidence.

The current issue is that Bong has received absolute dogs abuse from your fans for speaking out about something which he clearly believes happened.

It's not about impartiality. The FA have decided that they have enough evidence to charge Rodriguez. That's where we are right now. He can defend himself, fine. But the amount of shit that has been thrown at Bong by your fans and various other keyboard, closet "I'm not a racist but..." wankers is nothing short of disgraceful. That can't be taken back.

If you can't see that then any talk of impartiality goes out the window. Let's see what the appeal brings up but whatever happens, your fans have embarrassed themselves. That's not club bias, it's a fact.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If you read all the views of Brighton fans on this thread then you'll see that the vast majority are of the innocent until proven guilty opinion. It's been discussed at huge length and the fact is that nobody knows until/if we get more clarification of the evidence.

The current issue is that Bong has received absolute dogs abuse from your fans for speaking out about something which he clearly believes happened.

It's not about impartiality. The FA have decided that they have enough evidence to charge Rodriguez. That's where we are right now. He can defend himself, fine. But the amount of shit that has been thrown at Bong by your fans and various other keyboard, closet "I'm not a racist but..." wankers is nothing short of disgraceful. That can't be taken back.

If you can't see that then any talk of impartiality goes out the window. Let's see what the appeal brings up but whatever happens, your fans have embarrassed themselves. That's not club bias, it's a fact.

Post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What would be your reaction if one of your players was accused without any clear evidence? Would you automatically assume he was guilty?

No, but wouldn’t automatically assume innocence and pile in on the opposition player either.

Also, the fact that after the initial investigation the FA have charged him would suggest they think they have something to go on. It’s not looking good for Rodriguez atm.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just had a quick look through twitter - unbelievable the level of hatred being aimed at Bong right now.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Will thoust stand back sir? Verily your breath has a funk akin to a privy.

Something like that?

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I cannot understand why SSN are continuing to paint JR as some kind of victim, Pardew saying that he is upset and hopefully he can just concentrate on playing football. Why aren’t they showing any balance? This can only be fuelling those wba scumbag fans continued abuse?
Pardew also stresses how serious this is for both players, clearly insinuating how Bong has done wrong!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here