Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan, what a keeper

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He’s been brilliant!

If you look very closely Zaha was actually offside on his double save

Also, there must have been something not quite right with him last night. He went down there, and simply got up and got to the rebound - what was that about? Where was the dive and appeal?

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
At the risk of sounding like a total wanker, I quote below my original post on this forum when the club was just talking about getting Mat Ryan in:

First time poster from Oz here.

If you get Maty Ryan be excited...be very, very excited. I've watched him since his debut for Central Coast Mariners in the A-League and very quickly tipped him to play for Australia (Mark Schwarzer was our number one at the time). He left the Mariners for Club Brugge and was Keeper of the Year in Belgium two years running. He then went to Valencia and was number one for a while but got a bad injury and then couldn't force his way back in (under a new manager). So, off to Genk, where he recovered his form.

He replaced Mark Schwarzer in the NT for the World Cup in Brazil and has mainly been number one ever since, however he will face strong competition from Mitch Langerak for Thursday night's WCQ against Saudi. He will certainly get game time at the Confederations Cup shortly so you can get a preview there (and realistically, the Oz keeper will have a lot of work in games against Germany, Chile and Cameroon).

Ryan is only 6 foot but more than makes up for it with exceptional positioning and super agility. He's a fabulous shot stopper and dominates his box very well - in fact if he has a weakness he can sometimes be too adventurous off his line. Often comes waaaay out of his area to snuff out attacks and 19 times out of 20 will be successful. Those other ones out of 20 will be teeth grittingly memorable.

He probably has confidence to fly out of the box because he has (by keeper standards) outstanding football technique. Great football brain - really good distribution. This guy will be adored by the crowd if he is your number one and stays injury free.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
At the risk of sounding like a total wanker, I quote below my original post on this forum when the club was just talking about getting Mat Ryan in:

First time poster from Oz here.

If you get Maty Ryan be excited...be very, very excited. I've watched him since his debut for Central Coast Mariners in the A-League and very quickly tipped him to play for Australia (Mark Schwarzer was our number one at the time). He left the Mariners for Club Brugge and was Keeper of the Year in Belgium two years running. He then went to Valencia and was number one for a while but got a bad injury and then couldn't force his way back in (under a new manager). So, off to Genk, where he recovered his form.

He replaced Mark Schwarzer in the NT for the World Cup in Brazil and has mainly been number one ever since, however he will face strong competition from Mitch Langerak for Thursday night's WCQ against Saudi. He will certainly get game time at the Confederations Cup shortly so you can get a preview there (and realistically, the Oz keeper will have a lot of work in games against Germany, Chile and Cameroon).

Ryan is only 6 foot but more than makes up for it with exceptional positioning and super agility. He's a fabulous shot stopper and dominates his box very well - in fact if he has a weakness he can sometimes be too adventurous off his line. Often comes waaaay out of his area to snuff out attacks and 19 times out of 20 will be successful. Those other ones out of 20 will be teeth grittingly memorable.

He probably has confidence to fly out of the box because he has (by keeper standards) outstanding football technique. Great football brain - really good distribution. This guy will be adored by the crowd if he is your number one and stays injury free.

We don't do measured and well researched opinions round here.

We prefer a good old fashioned - too short to be a keeper, dropped a clanger so must be shit approach

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I will admit I was one of the many who were deeply concerned when we signed him to replace DS and thought that he wasnt good enough and would finish up as No 2 behind Maenpaa. BUT he has improved tremendously and I am not sure if it is down to Ben Roberts coaching or the fact that he knew when we signed Tim Krul that he was a proven Premier goalkeeper so his attitude has improved somewhat and he has applied himsel;f to the job in hand to be No 1.. Which ever it is he has now made the No 1 spot his and is proving to be as good if not better than DS. I was wrong as were many more in our initial judgement of him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Great keeper but we lose him through December when he pisses off with his 6 mates and that prissy bitch.

BroadwayGull

Jan 31, 2014
Worthing
I will admit I was one of the many who were deeply concerned when we signed him to replace DS and thought that he wasnt good enough and would finish up as No 2 behind Maenpaa. BUT he has improved tremendously and I am not sure if it is down to Ben Roberts coaching or the fact that he knew when we signed Tim Krul that he was a proven Premier goalkeeper so his attitude has improved somewhat and he has applied himsel;f to the job in hand to be No 1.. Which ever it is he has now made the No 1 spot his and is proving to be as good if not better than DS. I was wrong as were many more in our initial judgement of him.

Or perhaps he's always been an excellent goalkeeper and just needed time to settle in a new team and a new country.....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Maybe, just MAYBE, it was that he was always a BLOODY good keeper and just needed a bit of time to settle at a new club – and in a new league – and get his confidence back after a couple of mistakes? Maybe it was naff all to do with anyone else and that HE should deserve the credit?

Although fair play to you – posts on here where you actually say 'I was wrong' are a rare thing...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe, just MAYBE, it was that he was always a BLOODY good keeper and just needed a bit of time to settle at a new club – and in a new league – and get his confidence back after a couple of mistakes? Maybe it was naff all to do with anyone else and that HE should deserve the credit?

Although fair play to you – posts on here where you actually say 'I was wrong' are a rare thing...
Does he go that far.
To me that reads like 'I was right he was shite, but thanks to Roberts he's got better'.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Does he go that far.
To me that reads like 'I was right he was shite, but thanks to Roberts he's got better'.

Yeah, hence the quote marks.

I was shocked too...

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Yeah, hence the quote marks.

I was shocked too...

Exactly. Even in saying that he was wrong, he still manages to be really saying that he wasn't wrong and is in fact insinuating that he was spot on at the time.

God help us when other clubs realise what a miracle worker our goalie coach is. He can turn around a fairly mundane player into probably our best ever keeper in about a month.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Very, very obviously 100% this. Top work too [MENTION=35631]Mr Cleansheets[/MENTION]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Humble pie for me, thought he looked a proper liability after the Atleti and Leicester games. Since then he has hardly put a foot (or hand wrong), he is certainly a big step up in agility from Stockdale and once again shows that CH and the recruitment team knew exactly what they were doing.

I think we were all critical and a bit worried after the first few games but it’s how certain people go OTT and slate him & day what a bad buy he is whereas others give him time which makes the difference here. You only end up looking stupid if you’re in the former camp!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think we were all critical and a bit worried after the first few games but it’s how certain people go OTT and slate him & day what a bad buy he is whereas others give him time which makes the difference here. You only end up looking stupid if you’re in the former camp!

True, I think I was in the 'bit worried' camp rather that the 'he is rubbish' camp.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does he go that far.

Was you born to be:tosser:or did you practice hard. I said that I was wrong and was just querying the reason for the up turn and offering 2 possible solutions, but the answer is obviously that he is showing what the scouts saw in him originally.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And relax, it took a while but we finally got there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was you born to be:tosser:or did you practice hard. I said that I was wriong and just querying the reason for the up turn and offering 2 possible solutions but the answer is obviously that he is showing what the scouts saw in him originally.

Erm, you really didn't. The two solutions you offered were :

'BUT he has improved tremendously and I am not sure if it is down to Ben Roberts coaching (solution 1) or the fact that he knew when we signed Tim Krul that he was a proven Premier goalkeeper so his attitude has improved somewhat and he has applied himsel;f to the job in hand to be No 1[/B (solution 2)]'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here