Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else been pleasantly surprised by the quality of refereeing so far in the PL?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The big difference to me so far has been the small number of bookings per game. Whether this is an indication of card happy refs in the Championship or more sensible refs in the PL, or better players who know better when to tackle and when not to I'm not sure. It is however refreshing.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I agree. They have been largely decent. Of course we'll have a terrible one before too long. Is **** still doing the rounds?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Think the refs have been excellent in our games - so far. However Bobby Madley had a shocker at Arsenal last night, so I hope our turn doesn't come round too soon.

Our turn to have a shocker, or to have Bobby Madley? FWIW I reckon he's up there with Michael Oliver as one of the best refs in the country.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Watford game saw us not get a very good penalty shout, I'd forgotten about that but even then the ref gave a very good reason for not giving it.

If you're referring to the high foot challenge on Knockaert, most pundits thought the ref got that one right. There was a hand ball shout in that game too IIRC, which was a much better claim for a penalty, similarly with Morgan using his arm to ward off Murphy's shot (yes, a shot from Murphy). So, we could have had two penalties, but this doesn't constitute a moan, merely the fine margins that games hang on: refs only see these once, in real time, and their vision is often obscured.

But I'm very much in agreement with the thrust of the thread, the standard of refereeing has been excellent in our games.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Watford game saw us not get a very good penalty shout, I'd forgotten about that but even then the ref gave a very good reason for not giving it.
The ref thought there was no contact, he was mistaken (as were the pundits). We should definitely have had a penalty against Leicester for hand ball (which was clearly a deliberate arm to ball movement).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's been good yeah but the issue with the quality of refs isn't to do with the leagues. I looked into it at the end of last season and over half of the Championship refs also regularly reffed Premier League games.

I'd love to know why refs seem so much worse in the Champ, it really is baffling.

Yeah I wondered why that was as well. Is it due to the lino's do you think? Maybe the PL ones are better and the refs are more prepared to rely on them as opposed to trying to control the game on their own.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah I wondered why that was as well. Is it due to the lino's do you think? Maybe the PL ones are better and the refs are more prepared to rely on them as opposed to trying to control the game on their own.

That's as good a guess as any! I hadn't considered the linos.

I guess if we reversed the, admittedly brief research, I did then it stands to reason that if we got some Premier League refs we also probably saw some of the more "elite" league 1 referees taking Championship games. That might go some way to explaining it.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Funny that only readying to OP did it dawn on me that the referees and lines persons have been largely unseen quietly going about there job in a none look at me sort of way, all very refreshing long may it last

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We have the least free kicks awarded for us of all the Premier League teams. Average about 6 at game.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
[/B]

Please remind me, what was the reason he did not give a penalty then?

It was from Hughton's comments after the match where he said that the referee had told Hughton that he was unsure if contact had been made when their defender went in high on Knockaert so gave an indirect free-kick instead of a penalty. I thought it should have been a penalty and disagree with the ref but I can see why he made the call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here