Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Japanese used car imports

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mazda Bongos, Toyota Alphards, Nissan Elgranos, pick up trucks, 4x4s and sports cars. Great quality, high spec, big engines, low mileage, low cost. I've had a Mazda Bongo V6 for 10 years. Cost £3,800 in 2007.
Now replacing it for a 3.4 litre V6 Toyota Hiace Granvia, long wheel base ambulance to convert into a camper.
£8,500.
Had a couple of questions on the electric car thread and thought it didn't belong there!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds interesting. May i ask how easy was it to import from Japan, did you use a broker?
Was it expensive?
I was looking at this for me but not sure! http://motorhomedepot.com/M-9342-Dodge-Ram-350-AB3L13

That's brilliant but 15mpg! I wouldn't buy it as its left hand drive so from Canada. If it was a right hand drive import it would likely to be from Japan. They have a better rust record. The mileage is not proved as he's looking for the V5 and it already has rust.

I used https://ebayshowroom.ebaymotorspro.co.uk/emp/showroom.html?cid=bH4FqrLvEC3TO287LfRVzA== in Wigan. They import and sell here. Have heard about their reliability for last 10 years. There's a mobile number on there somewhere you could text or ring as they could source what you want. Their current stock is mostly mpv's. Takes about 4-6 months to get here.

Having looked at using a Broker in Japan I think it's better to use people like these guys. You get a warranty and a chance to say no on your first sight and the £200 deposit returned.

Would be great to see some pictures! I have been thinking about either buying a already completed camper or building one myself.

Sorry the pictures went when they took the ad down from eBay. Van arrives end of September.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I've imported about 8 cars from Japan now. I tend to go for the 90's Performance cars but my last one was a 1970's Nissan, classic Japanese cars are starting to become collectible. Still a lot of bargains to be had. Doing it yourself, cutting out the middle man and his profit is well worth while, not much paper work, even if that scares you, you can get an agent to do the customs clearing for you, then trailer it back from the docks, get a friendly mot tester to put a ticket on it and pay the DVLA for plates.
I used Goo, and Trade car view to find mine.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I've always wanted a Toyota Sera on import. Never released anywhere outside of Japan and discontinued over 20 years ago, they're incredibly rare. But I just think they're awesome.

Entirely impractical of course, as those gullwing doors would no doubt cost a fortune to repair if anything went wrong. Not to mention the scarcity of certain parts that would be exclusive to this car (though many parts like the clutch are common to other Toyota models so far cheaper and easier to source).

But man, wouldn't it be nice.

Toyota%20Sera%20(4).jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've imported about 8 cars from Japan now. I tend to go for the 90's Performance cars but my last one was a 1970's Nissan, classic Japanese cars are starting to become collectible. Still a lot of bargains to be had. Doing it yourself, cutting out the middle man and his profit is well worth while, not much paper work, even if that scares you, you can get an agent to do the customs clearing for you, then trailer it back from the docks, get a friendly mot tester to put a ticket on it and pay the DVLA for plates.
I used Goo, and Trade car view to find mine.

Had a look on Goo. If they have a ¥1,000,000 price, £6,888,what would the rough final payment be after tax and shipping costs?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All sounds good but what about replacement parts, are the specs similar and are UK parts exactly the same size or do you have to go to the cost of importing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
All sounds good but what about replacement parts, are the specs similar and are UK parts exactly the same size or do you have to go to the cost of importing.

No problem for you're average car from the last 20 years. Mazda Bongos are easy to get spares for. The new one is a Landcruiser engine so parts easy to find. You can even buy from main dealers. The worst case scenario is having it sent from Japan. A rare classic sports car would have the same problems any vintage vehicle may have.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Had a look on Goo. If they have a ¥1,000,000 price, £6,888,what would the rough final payment be after tax and shipping costs?

RoRo shipping is relatively cheap, about £700 for a car. It's the tax on tax that'll bump the price up. Goo cars if I recall the price is FOB (de registered, transported and ready to ship)

Import duty is 10% Add the FOB cost and the shipping cost together, add 10% Add the FOB cost, shipping cost and import duty together, add 20% for the VAT

It'll be over £10k for that 1mil yen car in the UK. Usually you'll have to add a rear fog light, swap the speedo to MPH, usually require a new battery and possibly tyres too. They should also de gas the aircon and drain the fuel tanks before shipping.

Parts are easy to get for most imports, typically there is a UK/European version of most cars. The Toyota Sera as an example uses a 5E-FHE engine which was in 10 other cars. It closely resembles the Starlet of that era so suspension parts can be transferred.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can understand these second hand Japanes cars being cheap. About 20 years back I saw a programme on the telly about consumerism in Japan. There was no such thing as a second hand market in white goods and tellys, it showed 2-3 year old fridges/freezers and washing machines just being dumped in landfill as the Japanese had this national ethos of upgrading to new more advanced models despite their current machines running perfectly well. Insane.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
RoRo shipping is relatively cheap, about £700 for a car. It's the tax on tax that'll bump the price up. Goo cars if I recall the price is FOB (de registered, transported and ready to ship)

Import duty is 10% Add the FOB cost and the shipping cost together, add 10% Add the FOB cost, shipping cost and import duty together, add 20% for the VAT

It'll be over £10k for that 1mil yen car in the UK. Usually you'll have to add a rear fog light, swap the speedo to MPH, usually require a new battery and possibly tyres too. They should also de gas the aircon and drain the fuel tanks before shipping.

Thanks that was the final price I'd calculated. The £10,000 Mazda Bongo vehicle I spotted would be £12,000 from a UK based importer. For the £2,000 it's made ready for the UK road, serviced, MOTed, cleaned up, new timing belt, under sealed (to protect from UK winter salt), and a short warranty. So for me it's about a grand cheaper to import myself rather than buy from UK importer. The deciding factor was what would catch my eye first. It was the £8,500 ambulance.

Scroll to bottom of this page http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362023436288

Looking forward to the project.

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I can understand these second hand Japanes cars being cheap. About 20 years back I saw a programme on the telly about consumerism in Japan. There was no such thing as a second hand market in white goods and tellys, it showed 2-3 year old fridges/freezers and washing machines just being dumped in landfill as the Japanese had this national ethos of upgrading to new more advanced models despite their current machines running perfectly well. Insane.

I think with cars it has more to do with emissions Japan's are far more stringent than those here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here